General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Low-carbing with a pasta lover in the house!

I don't know what to do. I'm trying to eat low-carb and my husband is a pasta lover. It doesn't help that I love cooking pasta and eating it too. What do I do when he wants me to make pasta for him, or potatoes or rice? I should begrudgingly point out that he is lean and strong, has no health problems, no health issues, does not eat sweets or drink sodas, eats whatever he wants but never over eats. He has no need to cut carbs like I do, so I'd feel awful making him cut those things out. What do I do???
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I adapt - when I make spaghetti, I get spaghetti squash, he gets pasta. For a lot of dishes, I'll make him the mashed potatoes, but I make a different side veggie for myself that I enjoy. It is more work, but I guess I choose to do it.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
I adapt - when I make spaghetti, I get spaghetti squash, he gets pasta. For a lot of dishes, I'll make him the mashed potatoes, but I make a different side veggie for myself that I enjoy. It is more work, but I guess I choose to do it.
This is what I do as well (although in my case, it's my son who is the pasta lover). For example, last night I made spaghetti for him and turkey chili for me. Luckily we both love leftovers and each have plenty for lunches for the rest of the week.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #4  
Becoming A Better Me

what about whole grain wheat pasta? Thats way its a win win at least it works in my world, just an option.
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It really is difficult to navigate! I made whole wheat spaghetti for the boys last night and I ended up having some too. More meaty sauce than pasta though. But it still led to tremendous carb cravings this morning and I ended up eating some breakfast potatoes with my eggs.

I have no answers for you. Only validation and hoping everyone's suggestions are helpful. Basically, we just have to eat different that those in our household who don't have our issues with weight.

I love this quote by Albert Einstein:

Quote:
Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.
I love carby things, but we had to break up because it was an abusive relationship for me!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
Hi, thanks. Unfortunately nothing can replace golden pasta for me, squash is squash and I have a pet peeve against food that tries to mimick other food. I know this works well for other people, but doing this would make me feel deprived and cheated. Best to avoid pasta all together that's why this is a problem. It's hard to quit something when your loved ones are doing it freely.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerouscurvesahead View Post
what about whole grain wheat pasta? Thats way its a win win at least it works in my world, just an option.
Hi, thanks. Besides tasting like cardboard, whole grain wheat pasta is still carbs which is really not a solution to this particular problem
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
It really is difficult to navigate! I made whole wheat spaghetti for the boys last night and I ended up having some too. More meaty sauce than pasta though. But it still led to tremendous carb cravings this morning and I ended up eating some breakfast potatoes with my eggs.

I have no answers for you. Only validation and hoping everyone's suggestions are helpful. Basically, we just have to eat different that those in our household who don't have our issues with weight.

I love this quote by Albert Einstein:

I love carby things, but we had to break up because it was an abusive relationship for me!
This is the only way isn't it? We have to eat differently than those around us and what works for my husband obviously doesn't work for me. Love this Eistein quote!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm in the same boat, and it's a pain in the rear to have to cook two different meals. All I can tell you is that the cravings go away. I was the ultimate carb addict, and now after four months, if I eat pasta it doesn't taste nearly as good as I remember it and I feel gross for hours afterwards.

There's no good answer. Just pat yourself on the back for willpower!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #10  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Height: 5'6"

So after learning how to make my own pasta from scratch (if you have the time to do that) I found that home made pasta has SO MANY LESS calories in it than your store bought crap. Store bought has anywhere between 180 - 300 cal PER SERVING (OMG!). The home made pasta I make has no sugar, egg whites only, whole grain and only (ready for this?) 90 calories PER CUP (cooked of course). Yeah, that changed my world. Its really simple to do and there are only three things I use (flour, egg & salt).

The second option is shirataki tofu pasta. Its 40 calories per pack (20 per serving) but remember, its tofu. You can find out more about them here. They are hard to find around my area. I discovered them in Seattle.

Best of luck!!

Last edited by BleuMaus; 11-15-2012 at 10:58 AM.
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
All I can tell you is that the cravings go away.
This is what I'm hoping for!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleuMaus View Post
So after learning how to make my own pasta from scratch (if you have the time to do that) I found that home made pasta has SO MANY LESS calories in it than your store bought crap. Store bought has anywhere between 180 - 300 cal PER SERVING (OMG!). The home made pasta I make has no sugar, egg whites only, whole grain and only (ready for this?) 90 calories PER CUP (cooked of course). Yeah, that changed my world. Its really simple to do and there are only three things I use (flour, egg & salt).

The second option is shirataki tofu pasta. Its 40 calories per pack (20 per serving) but remember, its tofu. You can find out more about them here. They are hard to find around my area. I discovered them in Seattle.

Best of luck!!
I love cooking pasta, I don't make it often but I have made it the traditional way. Does your pasta taste as good? What am I even saying, pasta is out for me