General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #1  

Default Who likes Dr Oz?

Dr. Oz has tons of good info on his show. It seems like he reaches every health issue and concern. Do any of you enjoy watching his show?
laurenanddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I actually don't watch his show any longer. I find that he makes me obsessed with troubleshooting my health. I think he's overly dramatic about every darn thing! Just like watching Oprah got me buying self-help books that I didn't really need, Dr. Oz got me taking supplements and ingredients that didn't help me at all with my health issues. Just like Martha Stewart, they're all slick infomercials.

I'm really very suggestible (finally figured that out) and I've greatly changed how I watch TV. No more Food Network either!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #3  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

No. Dr Oz can sit on his flax seed. I'm going to keep having my burgers and cheese as snacks and no bread.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm also a former fan. I bought a few of the supplements he suggested and they did nothing for me and one actually made me feel worse. I also got frustrated with his conflicting info. For instance, he one time said to never eat canned tomatoes because of BPA and then on another show, he recommended canned tomatoes for people to save money on their groceries without saying to people that they would, in fact, be exposing themselves to harmful stuff. I also got really turned off when he partnered with Weight Watchers to do a series of shows. It was like a giant infomercial for WW. I don't have a problem with WW, I think it's great, but it just made me feel like he's just trying to get more and more $. I don't trust his supplement advice and I feel like he's just in it for $ (no surprise, but still bugs me). Finally (sorry for this vent!) his family doesn't do flu shots and he recommends them and I think he even partnered with CVS to get people to get flu shots (that contain toxic mercury in it). I just think he's a very nice looking man who is pleasant and does discuss some interesting health related things, but it's coupled with some hypocritical info and greed, imo. Yikes! I'm thinking not to post this for fear of offending anyone, but what the heck, it's just how I feel.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #5  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

I'm no fan of his but I sometimes filp there to find useful topics. Sadly he is mostly repetive to me.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm also a former fan. The advice he's giving is getting more and more extreme. He'll "keep an open mind" about so many odd and weird non-scientific herbal treatments and then attack theories that do have research backing.

His treatment of Gary Taubes on his show was particularly ridiculous. And I just saw on Dr. Oz's website (trying to find the Gary Taubes episode), a big banner headline: The Man Who Thinks Everything Dr. Oz says is wrong."

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/man-w...ays-wrong-pt-1

You can also find Gary Taube's side of the story online (I can't find it at the moment, but I'll see if I can).

I'd encourage you to read both sides and then do just a bit of digging as to who is more believable.

Just as an example Taube's claims that Dr. Oz was much more fair and positive on his radio show than on the television show. So I checked that out and listened to the clips from both shows.

To me, the difference was night and day. Dr. Oz is the one who came across as a hypocrite.

Also, the television show portrays Dr. Oz eating meals that supposedly Taubes would endorse. That's not exactly true.

Dr. Oz snacks on pork rinds rather than his normal walnuts (failing to mention that the walnuts would be fine according to Taubes).

Dr. Oz substitutes his normal salmon with salad and brown rice with some slab-o-meat monstrosity (Taubes says that meal too would be great, only without the rice).

Not only did Dr. Oz portray the diet Taube's would recommend incorrectly, he also edited out all of Taube's arguments that made any sense at all.

More importantly than this weird feud with Taube's are all of the supplements that Dr. Oz seems to endorse. The partnership with Weight Watchers also bothered me, because if he had to partner with a weight loss organization, why not an affordable, non-profit like TOPS. If he really was more interested in the health of the nation, he would have picked an organization that even the poorest viewers could afford. TOPS is actually an older organization than WW, partners with the Medical School of Wisconsin, and has been proven to have weight loss success rates as effective as Weight Watchers. Of course, being a non-profit, there could be no endorsement deals.

He has every right to make as much money as he wants to, but his biases and hypocracies have just gotten worse and worse each show. The advice is also getting more and more outrageous and controversial, and the contradictions are just ridiculous. Something that he heartily recommends in one show, becomes something he vilifies in another.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/150/138

Height: 5' 2.5"

Not so much anymore. All he talks about is weight loss supplements lately. I get all excited about them when I'm watching, then I remind myself that these supplements aren't regulated and who knows what is in them. Plus, how long would one have to take the stuff - the rest of your life? And, if you stopped taking them, do you gain back the weight? And the cost of them....they are all expensive. I still watch the show, but with a grain of salt! Purely entertainment.....
Miss Fitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I've only ever watched Dr. Oz on the tvs that I couldn't change (ie in the waiting room at a doctor's office, or someone elses house). I find him too slick, and showy. If you bought everything he suggests or endorses you wouldn't have any money to live on.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I personally feel he has reached into the land of quackery and is no longer someone who should be used as guidance.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #10  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I "like" him just fine; he's personable and his advice seems like a reasonable place to start when kicking off a new lifestyle. Once you develop a good foundation in nutrition and health, and especially when you start to refine to your own unique needs, his advice seems like it's way over generalized. My two cents. Dr. Mercola suits me a bit better these days.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote