General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Sugar-free 'till Thanksgiving

I'm trying to implement a low-carb lifestyle. I'm not on a diet because diets don't work for me. Instead I'm trying to make little changes that will eventually become habits that stick. I know that low-carb is the right way to go because I have recently realized that a calorie is not just a calorie, that carbs lead to more carbs, and that even when I was following a low-calorie diet that carbs added up to having the most calories.

I can't cut out all carbs, nor do I want to. But for the time being I'm saying NO SUGAR TILL T-DAY! It's hard because I like my sweets. I've done very well in the last several days except yesterday when I had a chocolate attack (darn you PMS!)

Who's with me?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #2  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

I gave up sugar in June and I have to say that giving it up completely has been the only way for me to stop the physical cravings. I'm a sugar/carb addict so I can't just have a little. I still eat fruits and vegetables but I gave up alcohol, bread and pasta. If I smell bread, the desire it stirs in me is crazy but because I haven't had it in awhile, I'm able to walk away.

Good luck!
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBoom View Post
I gave up sugar in June and I have to say that giving it up completely has been the only way for me to stop the physical cravings. I'm a sugar/carb addict so I can't just have a little. I still eat fruits and vegetables but I gave up alcohol, bread and pasta. If I smell bread, the desire it stirs in me is crazy but because I haven't had it in awhile, I'm able to walk away.

Good luck!
I admire people like you who can swear off a food. I don't think I can do that. Is there such a thing as life without pasta? I start with sugar (cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream, donuts, pie etc) because those are the most immediate that cause my hunger. I'll deal with the carbs one at a time but that's all I can do for now. I'm willing to limit my pasta and bread and other starches but eliminating them completely from my diet will lead me to bingeing.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #4  

I don't think I'm with you, but good luck and stay strong. Your goal sounds awesome!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #5  

It's working great so far, I still think about sugar but it gets less every day. And it helps that T-day is only a few days away so I know for sure I can do it!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #6  

Good luck!
Katie4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 29 lbs. lost

Height: 5' 4"

I try to eat as little sugar as possible and limit my starches. I
was doing real good and lost about 20 pounds. My sister became
very ill with cancer and then past away. I spent allot of time out
of town at her house. My brother in law and niece did most of
the cooking (carb heavy) and we had allot of take out and eating
at the hospital. I gained back 10 pounds. After it was all over for
a month I was very down and could not make myself get back on
track. Just in the last week have I made a recommitment to this
way of eating. I think the best way to discribe what I'm doing is
pretty much the old sugar busters diet food along with counting
points ala Weight Watchers. I need the points counting with weighing
and measuring as I am no good at just eyeing a correct portion. I
have also started back my walking at the mall which I was doing
before. Here's to success to all of us no matter what way of eating
we follow. SMW
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #8  

I plan on enjoying a slice of pumpkin pie today after a very successful couple of weeks of no desserts. I did have a couple of small pieces of dark chocolate during this time but I'm generally proud of saying no to sugar. Happy T-day!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #9  

All went well and I enjoyed my slice of pie. I didn't crave more and that's a good thing!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #10  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

I wish you all the best even if don't consider carbs as evil - a reasonable amount in a natural form is needed to keep proper life functions and avoid cravings. On the other side, I got completely rid of chocolate - not because of sugar, but because of the addictive and weakening cocoa and a ridiculously high amount of fat.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote