General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default Credit-report site that isn't a scam? D: Anyone?

I'm just wondering if anyone has used a free credit report site without mysterious charges showing up in their bank account, and maybe (if I'm lucky ) one that doesn't make you sign up for a 'free trial' and then makes it really really tough to cancel your trial membership.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #2  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

AnnualCreditReport.com

It's free, and you can choose from 1 of the 3 credit reporting agencies. You can request a free report every 6 months, I think, so you can rotate the agencies if you want.

I use it regularly and have never had a problem. You don't get your FICO score but you get a full report. You can print it or save it.

The hardest part is that it asks questions like the street you lived on years ago or how much your old car payment was. Or maybe those were just hard for me, because I'm old.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

You can go to Federal Trade Comission website and they give you a phone number, website or form that you can fill out and request your report. You are entitle to one free report a year.
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

annualcreditreport.com is the official site sponsored by the gov, but you only get the reports not your score. Any other place you get your reports or score from will try to charge you or sell you a product. I have gotten my score by signing up for free-for-30-days credit monitoring at one site or another and then canceling it before I was charged but it was kind of a hassle. I would stick to the official website.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

www.annualcreditreport.com allows you to get one free report every year.

When I checked mine recently, one of the 3 sites offered to give me my credit score for $7 or $8.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

+1 on annualcreditreport.com.

I use them once a year. Watch what you get for a credit score, if you pay for it though. Some of them like to give you their own version (such as Vantage Score) instead of your actual FICO score, which isn't helpful because the scoring range is different and creditors use FICO to determine your credit worthiness. If you really want just your FICO score, go to FICO's website and buy it.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

If identity theft is your concern, I'd recommend not just checking the report but paying for a service like LifeLock. It is well worth it and really a pittance compared to the damage account fraud and identity theft can do, plus they offer specials and discounts regularly.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #8  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I use creditscore.com I pay 8 bucks a month for monitoring get a report every month and my Credit score.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/166/140

Height: 5'7"

Don't waste your money on LifeLock. Everything they offer is either useless or can be had for free. The owner of the company had his identity stolen, even.

http://www.thegeekprofessor.com/lifelock-sucks/
ultrapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote