Old 10-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/239/165

Height: 5'2

Default New here and looking for support! :)

I posted on the introduction page but have been following along with this one for awhile so I thought I would introduce myself here also! Sorry it's so long!

I am so sick of this “FAT” life! I’m more than DONE!! I am 29 and have been overweight and in denial most of my life! I was always very active, a dancer and an athlete growing up….No matter how many sports I played or how many nights I spent at dance class, I was still always the bigger one! You know the one with the really “cute face” how annoying! My mom actually told me the other day that if I was thinner I would be a knock out! It's no fun being the girl with the "pretty face". I always saw myself as a fit fat girl….is that even possible?? I don’t feel fat…..I don’t get out of breath when I play with the kids…..I can walk the dogs for miles and never get tired! When I look at myself I just see me. That is until I see a picture of myself and think…”Do I really look like that?” A few months ago we had a family birthday party and I felt great that day, I looked and felt good. Or so I thought! Once I looked at the family pictures we took with me and my other siblings (all perfectly fit and beautiful!) I couldn’t believe what I saw. This person was not ME! I have always been very sensitive to my weight problems, I think it was cause I was in denial. In my mind I wasn’t this overweight person…..and how dare someone tell me I was! Talk about crushing!!! I had accepted after all these years that this is who I am! But with acceptance came the realization that I can change it!

Sorry I'm rambling but I do have a few questions.....One of my sisters worked for Slim4life for years and she helped me about 6 years ago do that diet. It worked but is very restricted as to what you are allowed to eat. I can't restrict myself because that just makes me want those things that much more....so I'm kinda stuck right now on what kind of diet to do! I did the slim4life prep the last three days (it is supposed to boost your metabolism) and in those three days I'm down 8lbs.....but I can't stick to their regular diet! My plan right now is to just eat healthier....no fast food, soda...etc. One of my biggest problems is I'm not really an eater....I don't do breakfast ever....or lunch most days just dinner. I maybe get in one glass of something to drink all day! I figured if I can get in my water and actually eat a balanced 3 meals plus healthy snacks I'll be doing good! How much protien and fiber should I be getting a day and about how many calories should I be sticking to??? About a year ago I hit my highest weight of 256, as of today I was 231. Any help or ideas would be wonderful! Thanks in advance for the support! Hope to hear from you all!
mle0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Hey there and welcome First off, I think your plan of just eating healthier is an incredible start, especially with elimating fast food and soda(I did the exact same thing) I love food and could have never done one of those diets that restrict certain foods.

It bacially comes in to calories in vs calories out. To figure out how many calories you need to lose, try this calorie calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm. I'm not very knowledgeable on how much protien/fiber our bodies need but hopefully someone else can chip in there. Best of luck with your journey
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #3  
Pottymouth

S/C/G: 182.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Sorry in advance for the novel, I didn't realize how long this was till after I had typed it all out...

Welcome and way to go on already starting some healthier habits. I think the approach you're taking of incorporating regular, healthier foods is fantastic. I know strict diets work wonders for some people but I find they're so hard to maintain and I usually get fed up with being so restricted and only eating certain provided foods that I end up chucking it and go back to eating like crap and gaining. If I want a cup of frozen yogurt I'll have a cup of frozen yogurt, but I really have to think would I rather spend 400 of my 1200 daily calories on like 5 other items that are more nutritionally balanced and will provide longer satisfaction and satiety or the ice cream. Sometimes I pick ice cream, sometimes I don't. I'm not doing anything special except counting calories and find that I can eat more if I pick healthier options and know that works for many of us on here. Moderation is key for me.

As far as how many calories you should be consuming check out the link provided above or you can google it and figure out a deficit from there but definitely don't go below 1200 a day is common advice; it's very difficult to get all the nutrients your body needs on a lower number. You can sign up for a free website like lose it or myfitnesspal which also have smart phone apps that will help you calculate how many cals you should be consuming to lose weight and will track calories and adjust based on weight loss and goals. They also will track your macronutrients and on the phone both have a barcode scanner which I find useful as well as a vast food database.

As far as fiber goes you should aim to get at the bare minimum 20g a day in but should aim higher; I myself usually have a range of 25-35 grams and feel like 25 is a good minimal amount. Protein is important to help maintain muscle as you lose weight and the us government recommends minimally about 46 g of protein for women but you should eat more if you can. I'm a vegetarian and really have to work to hit my protein intake and minimally will eat 60 g but have been known to get up to 85 or 90 and those who eat a lot of meat or do atkins type programs will have much higher protein intake. High protein foods will also help keep you fuller longer.

Stay hydrated! Water is very important for your body to function properly and dehydration can have serious impact on your electrolytes, make you constipated the list goes on. Drink your water

And I know you said you only eat one meal a day. If that's what works for you that's what works for you. At the end of the day it's calories in versus calories out and whether those calories are spread out or consumed all at once really shouldn't impact overall loss. BUT I will say if you're going a long time without eating and you haven't been paying attention to what you're consuming prior it is possible since you have not eaten in such a long time and you're ravenous that you are way over consuming on calories. I like eating small meals and snacks throughout the day, other people do intermittent fasting and only eat during certain hours like you have been doing. Just use trial and error and see what works for you. As long as you're consuming in your calorie range that you set your weight will come off.

Invest in a good set of measuring spoons/cups, a food scale is really helpful (and can be found for less than $20), and if you bite it write it. You may find you were consuming more than you thought. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
TraumaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/239/165

Height: 5'2

Thanks so much ladies for the ideas! When I said that I only eat one meal a day is how I have always ate. When I'm at work or home and I'm keeping busy that is the last thing that I think about is food. With that I don't really go up or down in weight I just kinda maintain....But since I'm wanting to lose...and lose a LOT! I need to kick it up and start eating healthy and balanced small meals all throughout the day! I did start an account on myfitnesspal and there are some helpful tools that I can use. Thanks again for the support ladies....I know this is gonna be a long hard journey but I'm finally up for it!
mle0317 is offline   Reply With Quote