Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #1  
started IP Oct 3/12

S/C/G: 225/restart 188/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Hiding Out On Ideal Protein?

I've been on IP for 2 1/2 weeks now and besides my coach there are exactly 2 people...that's it folks 2...that know I'm on Ideal Protein.
I chose to hide the fact that this is my diet/lifestyle choice so that I can avoid as much criticism as possible. I don't need the negativity when it's already hard enough as it is.
At work I have to "sneak" my snack.....geeze I feel like I'm committing a sin! lol
Are any of you going through the same as me and don't have the support that we should have? I'd love to have people not throw food in my face but then again if they don't know I'm on IP it's not their fault either...so frustrating!!
clo2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 338.6/218/210

Height: 5'11"

It's going to be hard to hide when you shrink before thier eyes.
hyrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #3  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

No I was very happy with my decision to start IP. I had researched the heck out of it, knew what I was getting into, and knew the program inside and out which allowed me to decide that it was right for ME...Not once have I been criticized due to my conviction and results...Dont be ashamed, be proud you are doing something about it.

Make people aware so that they dont throw food in your face...Do this for you, and dont give a crap what others think...
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'll tell people if I need to, but I'm vague. Unless they ask for details, I'll tell them the reason I'm not eating pizza (or whatever) is because I'm on a "restricted diet." I leave almost all of my packets in my file drawer at work and eat them at my desk, but I don't think anyone has ever even noticed.

Not sure what kind of work/social environment you're in, maybe that's what's making it difficult? I would just be as vague as you can if it makes you uncomfortable, but I think it will help a lot to explain to people that you're avoiding certain foods because you're on a restricted diet. You're under no obligation to tell them more about it if you don't want to!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 303/see tracker/170

Height: 5'10"

I understand where you are coming from. I just finished my 12th week, and besides my coach and 2 others, I haven't told anyone that I am doing this program either. At first, I didn't tell anyone because I think I was ashamed that I had gotten myself to a point where I had to committ to a lifestyle change. Now, it's fun to see how people react to my incredibly shrinking size!

I also understand the fear that people won't be supportive. There's always a critic! I think that you need to do what feel right for you. I don't know that I believe that one has to share this journey with everyone to be successful. Any lifestyle change is very personal, if you would be more comfortable telling people so they stop shoving food in your face, then maybe you should. If telling them that you aren't interested is explanation enough, then carry on.

No matter what, good luck! You can do it!
slimmingitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

I don't really want to tell folks that I am doing IP. It is really because the people close to me have seen me fail at every diet out there Now, when I finally lose all this weight I will tell them, I just don't want to hear them critique my diet choice right now.

I do find I have to admit I am on a diet to order food at restaurants and deal with the "why are you not drinking" question. I personally keep it vague and say I am doing lean meats and vegetables and keeping it healthy. That seems to satisfy everyone. Like you, I would rather not mention it at all. I find people who push food or drinks do it whether I am on a diet or not. Especially those who need to lose weight too, I think it makes them feel worse for eating if you are not eating too. Good luck!
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #7  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Yup - I'm a Closet IP-er, too! My coach and my best friend are the only two who know, and I'll keep it that way as long as I can. Sometimes even encouraging friends can be irritating if I'm having a "struggle" day, and sometimes well-intentioned people say things like, "You look fine. You don't need to lose weight," or, "Really, just one cookie is not going to kill you." I don't think I'd be tempted, but I just don't want to explain it all. Kind of like religion or politics - some things are very personal, and you don't have to share it with everyone, right? Besides, if I fail, I don't want all those people giving me their sad looks .

No, I'm not planning to fail, but I've been down this road a thousand times, and I've failed a lot in the past, so just because today is easy to stay OP doesn't mean I'm going to let my guard down.
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #8  

Height: magmeepEVE

I live in a town, where everyone speaks their opinion on everything, so I don't go around saying I'm on IP. What I tell people is that I've upped my intake of vegetables and am getting good protein; that I've cut out the bad stuff. This usually is enough. Oh, they'll ask if I'm doing cardio, and I'll say, I'm walking (which is true, not cardio though). That shuts them up. If they go on, I just say that this is working for me, and that I feel better, have more energy and am healthier than I've been in a very, very, long time.

It's hard when you're private. People will notice the weight loss though, and so you have to have plans to deal with it.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #9  

Im a little of both. I take Longhorn's thinking when asked about my "sudden" weight loss but I am not making a big deal out of it. The people in my dept (4)know and I can sometime hear them saying that I am losing too fast. Their problem not mine. They know that I went on it because my doctor rec. to me and in fact 2 others go to the same dr and she has recommended it to them as well!! So i chalk it up to jealousy hahahaha.....I just choose to be nonchalant about it. The less I say, the less they say....at least to my face.
Its hard to let our guard down becuz ppl who know us know how many times we have failed at losing weight. My family lives out of state and doesn't know a thing. My DH's family lives in town and I wont see them until Thanksgiving and they also don't know a thing. Guess as i said, Im a little of both.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/195

Height: 5'10"

I don't really tell people either. I HAVE told my parents, and my family, but I think it is personal too. I don't care what other people think. I knew going in I would not get a lot of support at home, and that's one of the reasons I love this board. The only problem I forsee is holidays. For some reason, if anyone changes something, someone in my family 'feels the need' to go around and whisper it to everyone. LOL Like, 'so and so is not drinking this year, oh my' or whatever. Hoping I can laugh that off, or not even hear it.
I don't work around a lot of people so it's not a big deal at work. I eat at my desk most days anyway
dawn again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/135

Height: 5'1

maybe oversharing but I had an issue with too much sugar in my body (don't we all) but it was causing yeast issues all over because it feeds on the sugar. My in-laws- who are morbidly obese themselves- were going to give me the most grief over IP and my supportive husband nipped that in the bud by saying "the doctor wants her to try a completely sugar free diet to see if it kills off all the yeast" (and as a side effect would lose weight). It was a little misunderstanding/white-lie but I never corrected him/them. People back off when they know there is a doctor involved
le506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #12  
IP Reboot: 01/06/17

S/C/G: 190.3/ticker/150

I have never hidden the fact that I'm doing IP. I want people to know that I'm on a restrictive diet so that they DON'T force food on me. When I politely decline something I can't eat, they KNOW why. I have had nothing but positive feedback and support from my family, friends and employees thus far. It's a far cry from the past when nobody took me seriously any time I was trying to lose weight, but I also remind them that I'm paying a lot of money to do this, so I cannot fail. They get it now and I'm so glad I've never hidden it from anyone.
starsandrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/145/135

Height: 5.3

I dont tell people, I tell them I have a dopted a new lifestyle and I have given up grains and sugar. I tell them this because I will not return to eating those when I am done with the IP protocol.
sweetsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I posted about this a few days ago. How I deal with nosy people:

The people I work very closely with or see often (my 5 doctors, the other 2 NP's, the office staff in my direct office, my family and my husband's immediate family) know that I am on IP. And I actually lie a bit, because only 2 of my MD's know, the other 3 just think I am on a 'restricted diet'.

A couple of friends know, because I had to field the 'are you pregnant?????' question when I declined ETOH at any function.

Everyone else who has asked or noticed, fished around, I just smile and tell them thanks, I'm on a diet, if they ask more, I say a restricted diet that restricts carbs. They usual sigh and say, 'Oh, like Atkins?' and I say 'sure'.

I really hate and feel awkward and uncomfortable when people I don't know very well want to know specifics. But, that's just me.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I also hid (and still hide) IP. When I started, only my husband, parents and in-laws knew what I was doing. When anyone asked, I just said that I was cutting out grains and trying to increase my veggies. It is technically the truth, but it is vague. Even now when I do my P1 days in maintenance, I keep it on the DL.

Also, once people start seeing you eat differently, after awhile it becomes 2nd nature and they won't ask about it anymore. I eat a salad with either chicken or steak pretty much every day for lunch (even in maintenance!). People are so used to seeing me eat that for lunch, that I actually get comments now if I eat something other than that!
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote