General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default Barefoot running

I recently invested in a new pair of running shoes, and decided to go with a barefoot pair. I went with the Merrell Bare Access ones.

I've only been wearing them for about 7 days so far, but initial impressions are they're seriously comfortable, and especially when running in them I feel incredibly light and more efficient, I can barely hear my foot steps when I run, which makes a nice change to the thudding my old shoes used to cause.

Anyway I digress, before buying these I read a lot of articles suggesting that it is very important to ease into them slowly. I took this on board but didn't really get the big deal until I actually ran in them. Without all the typical support of running shoes I could feel my ankles and feet felt quite weak.

So really my question is-What is your experience or advice in 'breaking them in'? So far I've been running on alternate days in them and doing anything from half a mile to 3/4 mile. I have experienced some muscle aching in my calves mostly, although nothing a day off and a warm bath doesn't fix. I've also been wearing them for running errands etc and making a point to stretch my arches and ankles out.

I'm loving these shoes so much I honestly can't wait until I can start upping my distances, but I do want to take things slowly as I'd be so gutted if I injured myself.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

I don't know if my advice for breaking them in works for barefoot shoes that are not Vibrams because of how they fit, but for me if my foot starts to get hot in an area then I know I'm going to get a blister. And it's usually because I didn't take the time to make sure I seated my foot correctly in the shoe. And my only other piece of advice is to stretch out your feet like a madman before running.

I loooove barefoot/minimalist running. I think it's great, I think most people should do it, I love how my gait feels, I love how I can walk around for 6 hours in my Vibrams with no foot pain but if I did the same in flats they'd be aching way before then. It's great.

I was not very good at letting my feet build up a tolerance. I just loved my shoes so much that I ran in them because I figured I wasn't going very far or very fast so it wouldn't make a difference. But I did experience lots lower calf cramping the first week or two and after that I had terrible top-of-foot pain. I have been wearing Vibrams for almost a year now and haven't had the foot pain in many months but it was definitely an issue the first few months. I was over doing it but didn't want to admit it, I guess.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

my feet (skin between the toes) were not happy.
had to give away...
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Great to hear another positive review! I did try on Vibrams as they were the first obvious choice but I found the sizing didn't really work for my particular feet, which apparently can happen, which actually left me a bit disheartened. The Merrells feel almost the same as the Vibrams though, as where your toes sit in the shoe is very roomy, so your toes can splay as much as they need to.

I haven't actually experienced any heat discomfort or blisters so far, they are so comfy whilst still feeling very much barefoot. I have always been a heel striker too, so learning to run in a different manner has been revolutionary, I'm just bummed out I didn't try it sooner! You're probably right it might not matter, I have generally run around 3-6 miles so nothing majorly long distance. Although I have a feeling I'm gonna be upping that distance when I'm used to these!

@masterptr I assume you mean the toe compartments of the Vibrams rubbed, the particular pair I got as well as quite a few other barefoot shoes don't feature the individual toes so they might be more suitable for you!

Certainly in terms of how a shoe fits my feet, these are easily the comfiest I've ever owned.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I don't know how to break them in but I have had my Vibrams for about 8 months now and been really happy with them. I never had a problem with them.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for this thread... I'm sorry I don't have any advice on braking them in, but it's great to read everyone's experience here since I have been wanting to get a pair for awhile... My only experience with bare foot running is actually running bare foot without any shoes at all on the beach... Which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!! and I always thought it would be great to take that experience to other places that I love running, but it just wasn't practical... So I thought these type shoes would offer something similar... I'm really looking forward to eventually getting a pair...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #7  

I also have no advice on breaking them in. I don't run in my Vibrams (I don't run at all lol) but I wear them EVERYWHERE. They're the only shoes I've ever bought that I can wear all day, walking around on concrete, and not have my feet aching after 30 minutes. I have a pair of $200 runners designed for wide feet (like mine) and after 25 minutes in Costco, I'm in agony from my hips down. In my Vibrams I can walk around for hours with no discomfort.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I was looking at my Vibrams yesterday and found a hole in the toe. I checked my millage and found that I had gone over 1000 miles in them so I ordered a new pair. I love those shoes.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/185/175

Height: 5'10''

Run on the grass next tot eh side walk till you build up your ankle strength. Also just start with a low mileage.
mclark12 is offline   Reply With Quote