Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #1  

Default "Fun days" in maintainence

I have been on maintainence for a few weeks and have had a couple fun days.
I am wondering how others are working their fun days. Also, how do you feel at the end of the day? Do you feel like its worth it? Are you eating whatever you want all day or just one main meal? Do you find you are gaining weight after your fun day? I find that the couple times I have done it, my weight is up 3 pounds the next day and then gradually drops back over the few days after.

Just looking for some input. Thanks!
mamarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/182/120

Height: 5ft1in

Hi,

I find that if I do more than a fun meal, the carb-addict in me wakes up with a vengeance! So I keep the rest of the day (usually breakfast and lunch) as a regular phase 4 or, if the fun meal is going to be REALLY fun, I might do a phase 1 breakfast and lunch.

I am not one who can weight myself more than once a week and not lose perspective. So if I am up more than 1 or 2 pounds on my weekly weigh-in; no fun day that week.

Have fun finding what works for you! As long as you don't let the numbers on the scale "creep" up too much before addressing it you'll be fine.
Nilouve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarenee View Post
I have been on maintainence for a few weeks and have had a couple fun days.
I am wondering how others are working their fun days. Also, how do you feel at the end of the day? Do you feel like its worth it? Are you eating whatever you want all day or just one main meal? Do you find you are gaining weight after your fun day? I find that the couple times I have done it, my weight is up 3 pounds the next day and then gradually drops back over the few days after.

Just looking for some input. Thanks!
There is a maintainers thread here that you may find helpful
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilouve View Post
Hi,

I find that if I do more than a fun meal, the carb-addict in me wakes up with a vengeance! So I keep the rest of the day (usually breakfast and lunch) as a regular phase 4 or, if the fun meal is going to be REALLY fun, I might do a phase 1 breakfast and lunch.
This is what scares me about maintenance--the carb-addict in me. Thanks so much for letting us know how you deal with it!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #5  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

I just started maintenance and I agree with you guys. I'm afraid if I start eating the carbs on a fun day, it will trigger the cravings. Also, I noticed that when I eat the carbs, I feel like crap in general. My coach actually said the cheat day was not only physcological but physical in that they want the body to have a high jump of glucose so it can learn to properly deal with the hit. I'm still scared to death!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
I just started maintenance and I agree with you guys. I'm afraid if I start eating the carbs on a fun day, it will trigger the cravings. Also, I noticed that when I eat the carbs, I feel like crap in general. My coach actually said the cheat day was not only physcological but physical in that they want the body to have a high jump of glucose so it can learn to properly deal with the hit. I'm still scared to death!
Oh, it is scary! But if it works and our bodies learn to deal with it, that would be great. I personally don't hold out much hope for that though. I've been addicted to carbs since I was a young child. But it's a chance for our minds and bodies to catch up and for us to learn what we can handle. Like you feeling like crap after eating carbs. I hope I get so much of that crap feeling that I never want to touch those carbs again.

Good luck , Angie!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilouve View Post
Hi,

I am not one who can weight myself more than once a week and not lose perspective. So if I am up more than 1 or 2 pounds on my weekly weigh-in; no fun day that week.

Have fun finding what works for you! As long as you don't let the numbers on the scale "creep" up too much before addressing it you'll be fine.
This is me...I really enjoy fruit on fun days and really just one meal. What I like most is just relaxing on the 'rules' of maintenance of keeping carbs and fats separate. Ie, I can have a chunk of cheese with an apple...or have a baby cone (I have the little itty bitty one now cause anything bigger makes me feel gross .... AND COLD!) lol

I do accept the fluctuation of 3-4 lbs though...today is my 6 month and I am 162 this morning, usually lower by fun day which is Saturday morning.

I do get all my usual water in on fun day, if I don't ... its not a pretty feeling.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

In general I have more of a fun weekend. I try to stick pretty low carb, but wine and tortilla chips are my fun foods!
I am usually up 3 pounds on Monday. Monday -Thursday I follow phase 1/2. By Wednesday morning I am usually back to my goal weight. I have been maintaining like this since April 2011.
If I allow weekend to turn into weeks (vacation) it does take longer in phase 1 to get back to goal...

On Monday mornings after the weekend I am clearly retaining water. My feel are usually noticibly swollen by the end of my work day. Monday nights I pee a lot!!!! I'm sure Saturday and Sunday I am not drinking enough water.

I am also usually back in ketosis by Wednesday morning. I doe exercise intensely most days, so this may help speed up that process.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #9  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine72 View Post
Oh, it is scary! But if it works and our bodies learn to deal with it, that would be great. I personally don't hold out much hope for that though. I've been addicted to carbs since I was a young child. But it's a chance for our minds and bodies to catch up and for us to learn what we can handle. Like you feeling like crap after eating carbs. I hope I get so much of that crap feeling that I never want to touch those carbs again.

Good luck , Angie!
Thank you! And yes, I'm hoping on the crap feeling getting me through also!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #10  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
In general I have more of a fun weekend. I try to stick pretty low carb, but wine and tortilla chips are my fun foods!
I am usually up 3 pounds on Monday. Monday -Thursday I follow phase 1/2. By Wednesday morning I am usually back to my goal weight. I have been maintaining like this since April 2011.
If I allow weekend to turn into weeks (vacation) it does take longer in phase 1 to get back to goal...

On Monday mornings after the weekend I am clearly retaining water. My feel are usually noticibly swollen by the end of my work day. Monday nights I pee a lot!!!! I'm sure Saturday and Sunday I am not drinking enough water.

I am also usually back in ketosis by Wednesday morning. I doe exercise intensely most days, so this may help speed up that process.
Ah yes - wine!!!!! I am now an official "cheap date." For the first time since I was like - well, young It only took 1 glass of wine to get me tipsy! GOD I MISSED MY WINE!!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #11  

Quote:
Thank you! And yes, I'm hoping on the crap feeling getting me through also!
LOL! I'll be following you to see how it goes. Many, many wishes of good luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #12  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I do more of a cheat meal on Funday evenings with Phase 1/2-ish earlier in the day. One day of Phase 1 is all I need then. If i do a Full Funday i need 2+ days of Phase 1 to get back down.

I generally follow Phase 3 during the week, although i am starting to exclude the grain occasionally from breakfast. I find i get bloated/sick when i have carb overload.

And another money saver of IP is the wine savings of a cheap date!

Last edited by LizRR; 10-17-2012 at 10:57 AM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #13  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine72 View Post
LOL! I'll be following you to see how it goes. Many, many wishes of good luck!
LOL - I just had a strange thought that if I start cheating too much I will hear the jaws theme (do doot, do doot, do doot .... ) and I will see Starshine waiting to see what's on the scale

And thanks - I think I'll be just fine!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #14  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I do more of a cheat meal on Funday evenings with Phase 1/2-ish earlier in the day. One day of Phase 1 is all I need then. If i do a Full Funday i need 2+ days of Phase 1 to get back down.

I generally follow Phase 3 during the week, although i am starting to exclude the grain occasionally from breakfast. I find i get bloated/sick when i have carb overload.

And another money saver of IP is the wine savings of a cheap date!
Hi Liz! So I've been looking forward to joining your rank!! FYI - I did you apricot breakfast and love it so much I make multiples for the week, that and coconut flour pancakes have become my staples ...

I feel the same way on the carbs at breakfast - the coconut flour helps a lot with that ...

I justified the cost of food in P1 with the savings on my weekly wine budget Beleive it or not, they were almost equal ...

Now I'm only 1/4 as expensive
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #15  

Quote:
LOL - I just had a strange thought that if I start cheating too much I will hear the jaws theme (do doot, do doot, do doot .... ) and I will see Starshine waiting to see what's on the scale

And thanks - I think I'll be just fine!
LOL! Oh, I want that shark theme in my head too. It will make me laugh and take away the awful feeling of wanting those carbs!

I will tell the stars to shine brightly, and they'll be jumping up and down and cheering you on!