General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #1  

Question Technology....love it or hate it?

Ok, so I am kinda a techy type person...love staying up with new technology...I have a pc laptop, an android smart phone, an Ipad2, and an android tablet....lol there are some days that I feel like I use all of them at some point. I am even considering adding a macbook..lol I am a techno junky..lol Anyone else LOVE technology and what is your favorite "toy"?

oh...I cant even choose a favorite because I love each one more then the next for certain circumstances
Dedicated2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

I think technology is very neat but people are becoming less and less social. I don't know why but this bothers me.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

Sorry, didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer on your thread. Carry on...
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Oh, I'm "gadget girl"! While I'm considered a bit of an Apple Fanboi, I really love tech that's done well, so I don't discriminate. My favorite toy has got to be the iPad, but my latest attachment is to my FitBit.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have a Dell Desktop and an HP net book. I enjoy technology, especially the internet. My grown sons find it amusing that their old mother is an internet junkie.

I live in a very rural area with no high speed internet or cell phone service. We have satellite for TV and computer. If we had high speed, I am sure I would have a fancy phone.

One of my coworkers gave me his Kindle when he got a new Kindle fire. I like it a lot except for not being able to get any very good library books on it. I am not really into spending that much money for a cyber-book.

I agree, novangel, that there are certain downsides to using the internet as a social life. I kind of do that here because my real family and friends are not interested in my weight loss program, and that is all I can think about right at the moment.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #6  

Love it. My favorite is my i-pad, next my Kindle. Still fond of my Wii and playstation but they do not get the attention they deserve anymore. Got a nice new IBM laptop I use for learning and writing if I am on the move, though I do have an Acer laptop for use on the patio. I also have a Mac set up in the lounge for use when the office gets too hot or there is something I really do not want to miss on telly. My main machine is one my partner (big time guru nerd) built and keeps updating.

I am strangely totally cold about telephones. I have an i-phone, I never text, I never really use it at all. If I want to make a call I use the land-line. The whole mobile phone thing just passed me by.

My partner is a gadge freak. If she carries any more telephones she will need a shopping cart to get them around. I told her it defeated the purpose of the object but each one, apparently, serves a vital function!
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I love technology but most gadgets are cool but fairly useless - as in the kinds of things you only pull out when a friend comes over to show off your new gadget ... I know many people love their IPads for example but ours only gets used when going on a long road trip, plane flight, or the other three computers in the house are being used and our fourth family memeber wants to surf the web...

The smartphone has been one of my favorite gadgets since I got my first Palm Treo but at the same time since about 1998 my cell phone has also been my work phone and the feeling of always needing to be connected really wears on me. I want to just turn it off sometimes but then I feel like I might be missing something important so I love my cell phone but I hate it too.

Which brings me to my FAVORITE gadget, the Squeezebox. It's not new but it was cutting edge technology six years ago when I bought it. Basically it is a wireless reciever that hooks into your network and streams music files from your PC which acts as a server to your receiver. Everyone in our house loves music so the ability to tap into your entire music collection at the touch of a button has really spoiled us. We have three of them throughout the house. Since this is a device that only brings us pleasure we love them. There are many such devices available on the market but nothing has really improved on the functionality of the squeezebox. Added bonus - you can control it from your smartphone.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm a Luddite, clearly, since I'm on an online support community and typing from an iPad

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 10-04-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #9  
Carrots? Meh...

Height: 5'6

Well, I have an ancient desktop, a cherry red Lenovo netbook, a cherry red (I'm sensing a theme here...) LG smartphone and that's it. No pads, tablets, kindles etc
Silly Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #10  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I am a "late adaptor," having been burned by the Beta/VHS wars back in the dark ages. I didn't have a home computer for ages but got a Dell laptop a few years back and quite like it. My cell phone is rarely used and is an old Motorola with a pay-as-you-go plan. I hate texting and refuse to do it.

I have a Kindle but only because I won it in a raffle. I've downloaded a couple of books but I still prefer holding an actual book. I've used the Kindle a lot lately to play games while at the vet's office (where I've been almost every week for months).

I love my Ipod Touch. I listen to audiobooks a lot - while exercising, while driving, while doing household stuff. And it's nice to have my tunes with me all the time.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieH View Post
Oh, I'm "gadget girl"! While I'm considered a bit of an Apple Fanboi, I really love tech that's done well, so I don't discriminate. My favorite toy has got to be the iPad, but my latest attachment is to my FitBit.
I agree...I like the Ipad better than the Android Tablet and I do LOVE my FitBit!! Wearing it daily and using the logs makes me stay accountable if to no one byut myself.
Dedicated2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Let's see... 3 kindles, an iPad, a media PC, 4 laptops, 2 iPhones, other smartphone, roku, Internet enabled tv, wii/ps3/Xbox... And it's just me and my 9 year old. That is kind of disturbing now that I see it all in one place!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I have a laptop, desktop, e-reader (Sony), and a smartphone. I only got the smartphone because it was pretty much the only option with the qwerty keypad option. I'm not a big fan of touchscreen devices but I'm getting used to it.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #14  
No description available.

I hate technology. I'm actually using a typewriter to post this.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
Let's see... 3 kindles, an iPad, a media PC, 4 laptops, 2 iPhones, other smartphone, roku, Internet enabled tv, wii/ps3/Xbox... And it's just me and my 9 year old. That is kind of disturbing now that I see it all in one place!
Stupid question ... with two people in the household why have 3 kindles, 4 laptops, and 3 smartphones? The rest of the stuff I get but ... ??

I'm also curious what the Roku does that the PS3 can't? (Aside from being much more portable...)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote