Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #1  

Unhappy OMG Peanut Butter

I'm currently in a love-hate relationship with peanut butter. I can't keep it in the house because I will binge on it. I'll go at that mother with a spoon and eat half the jar.

Why does peanut butter trigger binges like this??? I just don't get it. I control what I eat...and then I find myself eating peanut butter from the jar when I get the chance. The worst part is, my roommates keep peanut butter in the house, so there's nothing to stop me from eating it and replacing it.

I pigged out on peanut butter today...but I guess tomorrow is a fresh start. sigh.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #2  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Try to pay more attention when you're eating. Binging on peanut butter is better than binging on potato chips, but it still has lotsa calories. You could also hide it, or maybe your roommate could keep it in a place where only she will know where it's at, and then you won't be as tempted.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #3  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabernetKitty View Post
The worst part is, my roommates keep peanut butter in the house, so there's nothing to stop me from eating it.
My new rule is if IT DOESN'T BELONG TO ME I cannot eat it (it gets me through) I hope this helps you too
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #4  

Height: 4'11"

I know how you feel because I used to binge on peanut butter on a regular basis, too. I tried not keeping it in the house for months at a time (which did stop me from eating it, temporarily) but then I would go into full-on binge mode and buy it at a gas station or supermarket and binge anyway. I would eat half a jar of peanut butter straight from the jar with a spoon (like you), if not the entire thing. I would always find a way to get it because I wasn't addressing the problem.

I would crave and binge on peanut butter when there was very little fat in my diet, and/or if I hadn't really eaten enough over the past few days. The binge cycle is devastating, however, emotionally. It is also physically hard on your body.... Believe me, I know how you feel....

There IS something that has worked for me, however--

Eat a small amount every day. I PROMISE you will NOT go wild and eat half a jar if you have a tablespoon every day. I have tried this and it worked wonders for me. Each day for breakfast I eat a toaster waffle with 1 tbspn of peanut butter, OR a packet of flavored oatmeal with 1 tbspn of peanut butter mixed in. Seriously, I haven't binged on peanut butter in MONTHS. I have no interest anymore. Each day after breakfast, I already know that tomorrow I will get to have peanut butter again so the urge to binge is gone.

The hardest part is ridding yourself of the guilt. The hardest part is the fear that if you eat a little bit you will full-on binge. I promise if you eat a little bit every day, and promise yourself you will not restrict yourself from eating that 1 tbspn every day. When you eat it in a measured amount you will find that you are capable of eating pb without bingeing on it.

It also helps to have natural PB, without added sugar, oil, or salt.

GOOD LUCK!
ravensglen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I have binged on unsweetened, unsalted all-natural peanut butter before - binging on anything is a symptom of something lacking or something not being right, but it's never readily apparent what the cause is. It could be not enough fat in your diet, or it could be because you're carrying around emotional baggage from something you're not even aware of.

I think making peace with peanut butter and not binging on it is something you can do, but I don't know if I would trust myself to buy a known trigger food (mesquite flavored sea salted roasted almonds - OH MY) and have just a serving per day. I would rather have zero.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #6  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

OMG that is so me! I found that it was a vicious cycle. The more I eat peanut butter, the more I wanted it, the more I ate! It set me back for sure. I agree with Ravensglen3, just eat small amounts everyday. Now, I eat it on a piece of toast for breakfast and I have not had the need to binge on it. Sometimes, I would mix it (cuz it's so high calorie) with vanilla yogurt and eat it with an apple. My binges have significantly reduced
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

For me there is a difference between the lower sugar pb and the regular. I binge on the regular--there's something about its level of sweetness that is very more-ish for me. The low sugar can be in my cupboard for ever. From the other replies here I realize that's not everyone, but some of it might depend on whether the trigger is the combination of fat and sugar.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #8  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I am a peanut-butter binger too! PB2 has saved me on several occasions- but I HAVE noticed that when I have a tbs in the mornings before my long runs, my cravings subside. I don't know if its because I lose my appetite from running, or if the morning PB does it. I guess I could try it on a not long run day to experiment :P
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I was going to suggest a couple of things, also mentioned by others. I' not a peanut butter binger, but I do sometimes crave a spoonful or so, which is not really very friendly to my calorie budget. I've noticed that for me, if I have too little fat in my menus for a few days, it seems to trigger that craving, so I opt for having some avocado on a piece of healthy lo9af flax seed and whatever whole grain toast and some eggbeaters instead and it seems to do the trick. Still a good bit of fat, but not the sugar calories and it helps stave off the peanut butter craving. Also, you might try the PB2 or the PB2 with chocolate. If it's the peanut taste you are craving, then that should fix it. the PB2 has a bit of an odd texture, but dang, it does taste peanutty and hardly any calories. You can purchase it from amazon for less than the mfr, I think.

good luck!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #10  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

pb2 chocolate is deffinately amazing!

want a bowl full of PB? you can get like, half a cup for under 150 cals....just saying. lol
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I can relate to this...especially eating heaping spoonfuls of PB straight from the jar. I can't really get it out of the house because 3 kids and my dh also eat it. It is just a staple around here. I found this idea on another site and it helped me. Now, when I eat PB from the jar my go to spoon is the 1/2 TB measuring spoon. This works ok for me because it stops the heaping spoons, cuts the calories, but still gives me a taste of the PB that I really want. 50 calories...and even if it takes two; it's still only 100. PB has protein and is somewhat sweet without being too high in sugar. Since it is calorie dense, limiting the portion size works ok for me.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/158/125

Height: 5'4"

I just wanted to chime in and add one more voice saying that you are DEFINITELY not alone in your peanut butter cravings. I used to be 40 pounds lighter with an amazing amount of self-control, but it was that first peanut butter binge that go me to where I am now!

Anyways, I can't give you any tips on how to avoid peanut butter binging, but I can tell you what does not work for me: eating other things to kill the craving. I usually end up doing more damage that way than just giving in, because I'll eat a lot of calories before finally giving in to the binge anyways!

Maybe a Reese's or something that comes individually packaged might help satisfy cravings while discouraging binging?
cutecutecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #13  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I agree with Krampus, when I binge it's because something's not right, either with my body or with my emotions.

I have found also that eating an avocado sometimes satisfies cravings, I'm sure it's the fat, but I've also found that when I have avocados in the house I have to eat one every day until they're gone, so I just don't buy them all the time.

Also good advice from 1spunkygal, if you can make a rule like that, if it's not mine I can't eat it.

I'm reading Hungry by Allen Zadoff currently, very interesting book, he talks about trigger foods, and also the emotional component of overeating. It's a good read, you can take from it what might work for you, in fact that's his advice, not to try and copy exactly what he did.

best of luck with the PB
I make my own without added oil or sugar, I add some honey to it, you can find an easy blender recipe, I've gotten used to mine, the stuff from the jar doesn't taste real to me anymore.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #14  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Yes, tomorrow will be another day.
how about if you try to allow yourself to have fun with peanut butter once a week?
a little give and take might work better than totally giving in when it hits you.
Keep up the good work!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #15  

Thanks for all the suggestions and support guys! I may try having peanut butter occasionally...It's just hard not to completely pig out on it. I don't think it's a lack of fat in my diet...I guess it could be emotional like Krampus said? Sigh.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote