General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/252/145

Height: 5ft 4

Default Honest Answer please, Drinks!

I used to drink 2Ltr of Full Fat cherry coke a day, I was so pleased with myself when I finally found Pepsi Max Cherry as it has hardly any calories, I figured it must be good! I have now given up ALL Fizzy drinks. Instead I drink Sugar-free Double concentrate Apple squash, diluted with water. Mostly because I dislike the taste of plain water. I'm drinking about 3 liters apple with water a day.

But... really, is Apple diluting juice ok? Or is it also going to hinder weight loss... I am assuming it is better for me than so much coke but honestly I'm not sure :/
Any thoughts / opinions gratefully received
LilithPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/141/130

Height: 5'2"

For me, I try to avoid drinking my calories. The problem with soda and juice is all of the calories from sugar. If you are a calorie counter, you can use up a lot of calories on sweetened drinks. If you are a carb counter, sugar in soda or juice can derail you altogether. Watered down juice may have fewer calories, but that would depend on how much water is added. Just for kicks, why don't you count how many calories you are consuming in a day in juice or soda?
leona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithPaige View Post
I used to drink 2Ltr of Full Fat cherry coke a day, I was so pleased with myself when I finally found Pepsi Max Cherry as it has hardly any calories, I figured it must be good! I have now given up ALL Fizzy drinks. Instead I drink Sugar-free Double concentrate Apple squash, diluted with water. Mostly because I dislike the taste of plain water. I'm drinking about 3 liters apple with water a day.

But... really, is Apple diluting juice ok? Or is it also going to hinder weight loss... I am assuming it is better for me than so much coke but honestly I'm not sure :/
Any thoughts / opinions gratefully received
Have you tried those "Mio" additives? You squeeze a few drops into water and it flavors it. My wife likes them. Like you, she doesn't really like drinking plain water. But on our diet (and I would imagine many others) we have to drink a large amount of water per day.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #4  

LilithPaige--do you not like the taste of ALL plain water? I ask this because while I dont care much for COLD (like out of the fridge) water, I do like it room temp. I have tried the Mio water additives they are pretty good...you can also try crystal light and decaf tea (weakened) Just some things to try...

I like the others try to avoid using calories on liquids.
Dedicated2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #5  

Thanks guys, It says 6 calories per 250ml. but I am drinking about 3 litres a day so it easily adds up. I have never head of Mio before, I'm in the UK so we don't get it here much but I will have a look around and see what I can find.

Dedicated - I don't mind the taste of bottled water, preferably very cold. But I really hate tap water. I grew up with very very hard water and it tasted awful. So even though I live in a very soft water area now the mind set is still there.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Hey Lilith... I think I remember you posting about slimmm shakes in another thread, we seem to be very similar! I also need some taste to my water, I mean I can drink cold water, I just don't enjoy it so I've been drinking Robinsons' squash since I started. For what it's worth, it's not slowed down my weight loss at all, and keeps me hydrated! Also, I think some of the posters above may be talking about normal apple juice diluted with water, which will contain far more sugars and calories than squash (assuming it's a reasonable squash:water ratio - I have mine very dilute). If you're doing calorie-counting like me, 6 calories per 250ml is only 72 cals for the 3 litres that you are drinking per day, which for me is definitely worth the hydration! You could also try diluting it more to cut the calories down further, which I do since I'm just using the squash to cut through the taste of the plain water really, I'm not a big fan of sweet drinks.
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #7  

Great advice thank you sffx87! I was so pleased that I had finally stopped my long-tern addiction of coke, I had a panic that actually squash might be just as bad! I hate PepsiMax, it has like no calories and so it makes me think its not bad, but I know it is. I was fooled for so long I didn't want to fall in the same trap with diluting cordial.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I find no satisfaction from drinking my calories- I might as well just not eat those calories at all, for the all the hunger it leaves me. Fruit juices tend to be one of the worst things for you- yes, they have some of the vitamins, but also lots of sugar and calories. Why not just eat the apple?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #9  

Its not apple juice in the sense of pure apple juice or pulp, Its very very diluted squash / cordial, you add like a cap full to a huge glass of water to add flavor. I cant really explain it very well, I don't even know if you have it in the States, maybe its a UK thing :/ Its basically a flavor to add to water, 1 part squash to 9 parts water.

But it doesn't have as much calories or sugar as a whole apple would and it wouldnt make my water taste any better to eat an apple!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #10  

Ooooh its kinda like Kool-aid. but in liquid form. You get a small amount and add it to water to make it taste nice, does that make sense? Only ours are mostly no-added sugar and a whole lot healthier than kool aid is!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #11  
the muse of memory

I see no problem with drinking occasional diet sodas. I do drink Crystal Light sometimes, but if you add it to every drink every day, 5 calories per serving becames more like 40-50. As long as you account for it, there shouldn't be a problem. I accommodate cream in my coffee daily, because I cannot live without it.

Anyway, the Mio recommendation other folks have made sounds alot like the "squash" stuff you are using. Just read the label and account for the calories in your diet.

That said: I second the recommendation of tea. I know you in the UK don't have the American tradition of drinking iced tea, but it's a great option and lower calorie than what you are doing, and gives you some variety. Use decaf black or green tea bags with any flavor profile you like, or try some herbal teas, mint, orange, hibiscus, whatever. Brew a pot as you normally would and pour it over ice. Or, alternatively, brew it double-strength, combine concentrated brewed tea with equal parts water in a glass container and refridgerate.

In the Southern US people like their iced tea heavily sweetened, which you could achieve with some sort of sugar substitute if you are so inclined. I prefer it unsweetened, so that's not a problem for me.

Finally: do you drink icewater? If you particularly like very cold bottled water, why not buy a filtering pitcher like a Brita pitcher (I searched Amazon.uk, and you can find them for about £12 to £15) and keep a pitcher of FILTERED tap water in the fridge at all times. I know in the UK people are less... American about ice cubes, but if icy water appeals to you while tapwater doesn't, filtering your tap water and keeping it cold, then making and adding loads of ice cubes could do the trick.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #12  
in pursuit of progress

S/C/G: 180/146/130

Height: 5'6"

I am also someone who is not fond of the taste of water!! I tend to drink squash or herbal tea a lot, and I always count them in on my calories, they're not very many at all (most herbal teas are less that 4 calories per teabag) but I have started to drink more plain water recently- like you I just dislike the taste of tap water, and a filter wouldn't fit in our fridge, so I bought one of those bottles with a filter in, and it's been great!! I just carry it around with me and sip as I go, without thinking about it. It has been a really good way for me to get enough water in.
nina cloudstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #13  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Try Perrrier I pretend it's my former caf free reg Coke ...hey it works for me.
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Giving up soda was tough. Giving up diet soda and all artificial sweeteners was super super super tough. Glad you know that those things are very bad for you. I'll drink a diet pepsi once in a while as a treat when I'm out but that's no more than once or twice a month. The addiction is definitely broken.

I really don't like still water. I immediately switched to seltzer squeeze some lemon juice in it. I crave the fizziness and this does it for me, I REFUSE to drink calories! Juices in general have sugar and can be bad for your teeth and will keep you addicted to sugar so I'd stay away.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote