Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

Default Prozac

I have recently been prescribed prozac for OCD and would like to hear your opinions about this medication? Does it cause weight gain or weight loss? I have heard different things. I started out with 20 mg in the morning for one week and now i am on the first day of my second week upping it to 40 mg in the morning. I will continue this dose until my next dr.'s appointment. If anything I feel like it is causing weight gain for me. My dr. knows that i am over weight obviously and she said it is neutral as far as weight goes. So I really don't know what to believe? On the other hand the pharmacist that I go too, to get the medication told me prozac causes weight loss.
I would like to hear other people's experiences taking prozac. Thank you.
lasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #2  
Becoming A Better Me

i am on 20mg of prozac daily n 40mg when its TOM for severe clinical depression, but its made a huge difference in my OCD (thank God)! i was recently told by my health teacher whose an RN that its known in their line as the "pack on alot of pounds pill"! and when i look back at when i started gaining it coincides with injuries n prozac. she also told me that the fact that im losing weight with this added obstacle is wonderful (im set up to lose 2lb a wk but only lose on avg. 1lb a wk which im good with, i just have to work harder).
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #3  

Smile prozac

I have taken Prozac for depression for several years and it has helped, also the mild OCD i evidently had.

I think it is neutral. I think the way I think determines if I lose weight. I can now think and actually decide whether to eat, where before the depression was driving me to eat to raise my mood.

Give it a try, but plan what you eat and not mindlessly snack.

Good Luck!
elderelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/148/125

Height: 5'8

I have been on Prozac on and off for 5 years, and I never really noticed either. Now it is no longer working for me though. Hopefully I can switch to Wellbutrin.

Good luck!
cbheart16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

I was on Prozac years ago and it not only caused weight gain it also had a side effect for compulsive behavior and that side effect almost ruined me.
After trying everything on the market I finally told my doctor, "let's quit masking the problem and instead fix it."
I stopped all meds and started counseling and I am much happier and lighter.
Good Luck.
Sally Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote