Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Foundation help!

I'm looking for a foundation that lasts a while, as in the amount of product used over time. I discovered when I started to work and had to start wearing makeup on a more frequent basis, my makeup is running out quicker. I have been using CG's Ultimate Finish liquid powder foundation as it provided decent coverage without leaving me acne-ridden all the time, but I always have to use a lot of product to get the coverage I want. I always feel like I'm using more foundation than is necessary. I bought CG's TruBlend to get me by for the time-being (and because I had a coupon, lol), so we'll see how this one does me.

So what do y'all use? Would it be a good idea to invest in make-up counter foundation (MAC, Clinique, etc)? It's obviously way more expensive than my 6-8 dollar foundation, but if it's going to last me awhile it seems like it would be a better deal in the long-run. What do y'all think?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Estee Lauder Double Wear is my go-to foundation. I absolutely love it. Another good one is by Make Up Forever. MAC has good coverage, but I find their product always leaves my face looking cakey. I much rather use a product that is lighter feeling on my skin

The Pur Minerals line has an amazing powder foundation which I just recently discovered. So much quicker in the morning and lasts all day.

Ultimately, getting a couple samples may be best before purchasing because different skin types will result in a different preference. Good luck!
queenie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I have super dry sensitive skin and have great luck with the dermelogica foundation. I also love Mac's foundations as well.They have many to choose from....sample sample sample.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 09-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #4  
the muse of memory

I use drug store foundation, too. I tend to use L'Oreal True Blend (or whatever it is called - it seems to have the most shades) in the lightest color they offer. I extend the life of the foundation by dotting my face with concealer and using a small application of a Shiseido stick foundation in "color correction" green where I have redness. Am very, very fair, not much acne at this point, but still have red cheeks.

In May, though, I picked up a basic Neutrogena tinted moisturizing foundation because it had the best SPF protection I could find. (I was headed to Peru. High elevation + being near the equator = insane levels of UV rays.) I've kept using it. It has lasted me four months to date, and might have another few weeks left in the bottle. I like it fine, but as I said, the way I get the coverage I want is by layering a couple of different products in different areas before combining it all with foundation as a finish.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I like Bare Minerals. It's been 6 years and I never looked back.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I use Mary Kay's whole skin care line. After I use cleaner, I use toner then moisturizer. Then my foundation goes on over the moisturizer. I find this helps the foundation go on lighter and smoother. Without it, I feel like I'm caking it on.

It is a little more expensive than the usual drug store options, though some of them are comparable in price. I also prefer the level of service; my Mary Kay lady will just drop my products in the mailbox if we can't meet up somewhere. Can't ask for better than home delivery.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I love love love my bare minerals. I mainly love the fact that I don't need a liquid foundation for my skin to look great! It seems a bit pricy, but a small amount goes a very long way. I would estimate it's price at about 50 cents per use.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #8  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Every MAC foundation I've tried broke me out, but I really love Revlon Colorstay. It's a bit more expensive than a typical drugstore foundation, but they have two ranges, one for dry and one for combo/oily skin. It's very full coverage and I think it might even have a bit of SPF in it.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

I second the L'Oreal Trueblend. I thought it gave pretty decent coverage but with that said I have never found a foundation that didn't need a bit of touch up during the day. Lately I have been using Clinique concealer as my foundation and I still find myself applying a bit more mid-day. I have dark circles under my eyes that I'm sensitive about.
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I really love Lily Lolo mineral foundation, it's about £12 and it lasts ages even with every day use. Also has great staying power for something so gentle. I have normal-dry skin so never thought I'd use powder foundation but I'm a convert
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I am a 6+ year faithful user of Smoky Mountain Minerals. I used to use Bare Minerals...but...it contains bismuth oxycholoride, which can cause irritation, redness and itching.
Smoky Mountain Minerals are organic, talc free, gluten free and as I mentioned, bismuth oxycholoride free. Ordering is easy and shipping is always FREE! They offer discount codes every week and their customer service is outstanding. Another cool thing is, if you are unsure of your foundation shade, they sell darkeners & lighteners to add to it and make the perfect shade for you.
I can't say enough good about SMM. I won't use any other foundation!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #12  

I used to use Bare Minerals- it's great! But super expensive. Now I use "affordable minerals" they have awesome promos and I get it for cheap. The quality is actually better than Bare Minerals imho
schmexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have very sensitive skin, and every time I DO find a foundation I can wear without irritation, it's only a matter of time before I end up being sensitive to it. As a result, I would only wear makeup for special occasions.

My sister gave me a Bare Minerals makeover, and a gift of some product. The Bare Minerals line was great, but I couldn't afford the price, so I bought a otc mineral makeup (Cover Girl Mineral Makeup I believe). Both the Bare Minerals and the Cover Girl, I could only wear for about 4 to 6 hours before my face would start itching.

Then JerseyGyrl turned me on to Smoky Mountain Minerals, and I absolutely love it. No more itching. Though I haven't been brave enough to wear it every day, "just in case" but at least I don't have to watch the clock and wash it off after 4 hours anymore. I can wear it all day and not have a single problem.

And even better, I LOVE that Smoky Mountain Minerals offers the option of buying refills in ziploc bags as a more eco-friendly alternative to unnecessarily buying a whole new container.

Even my first purchase was a refill bag, because I have plenty of containers at home that I purchased at Sally Beauty supply (I would have used the containers I already had from previous mineral makeup foundation, but they always plug the jar so tightly with the sifter lid, that prying it out was impossible or ruined the container).

I suspect I could wear makeup every day with the SMM cosmetics, because I haven't had even the slightest reaction (even the one time I forgot to wash my face and didn't remove the makeup until the next morning). I really love this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I am a 6+ year faithful user of Smoky Mountain Minerals. I used to use Bare Minerals...but...it contains bismuth oxycholoride, which can cause irritation, redness and itching.
Smoky Mountain Minerals are organic, talc free, gluten free and as I mentioned, bismuth oxycholoride free. Ordering is easy and shipping is always FREE! They offer discount codes every week and their customer service is outstanding. Another cool thing is, if you are unsure of your foundation shade, they sell darkeners & lighteners to add to it and make the perfect shade for you.
I can't say enough good about SMM. I won't use any other foundation!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #14  

L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle is a gift from above, seriously. The jar is small, but don't let that put you off, because you only need a small amount. It glides on like silk and makes your face so insanely soft, I love it so much. It blurrs any kind of problems you might be having but it looks like you're not wearing any makeup at all. Works best with the L'oreal Magic Smooth Primer underneath, but even without it's still amazing. I've been using the primer on a dail basis (often without foundation) for a few months now and it's still not empty, which shocked me because the primer comes in a REALLY small jar! I recommend the mineral makeup noted in the posts above because it's healthiest for your skin, but that's not cheap and in my opinion this is the best drugstore foundation out there.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjean View Post
I recommend the mineral makeup noted in the posts above because it's healthiest for your skin
Wanted to mention, Smoky Mountain Minerals (SMM), is extremely affordable. They offer weekly discounts (often 20% - 30% off your order). Shipping is always FREE. And as Kaplods mentioned, you can order refill sizes so you aren't purchasing a jar each time you run out

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-20-2012 at 06:22 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote