Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 378/tickers/145

Height: 5'4"

Default When Should You Start Weight Training?

Don’t get me wrong, I am very proud of myself for my progress so far. Ninety pounds! But one of my desires is to actually be strong, and while I want to lift heavy and exercise harder (walking, some work with light hand weights and resistance bands, and water aerobics is all I’m doing. And I only started the latter this weekend), but I don’t know if I should do that at 288 lbs. I don’t want to hurt myself and set myself back. I still can’t even do a jumping jack, despite my progress. It's very embarrassing.

I’m not sure why it stressed me out today. I think I did very well today. But I’m extremely flabby and it looks like nothing’s happening on my waistline. It bothers me. Does anyone have any recommendations?
coolacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I have read about people running at 250+ pounds so don't let your weight stop you. I would say start slow and make baby steps to build up your strength. I think the work your are doing is great. Do what YOU can do, not what other people are doing.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I 'do' get worried when very overweight people want to jump in with running or doing super duper hard stuff on the joints, etc. Like at 290 pounds, jumping jacks is a lot of impact on the joints and you could end up injuring yourself.

My motto has always been, do as low impact as you can while still getting the workout you need. In the beginning that means a fast walk gets your heart rate up there, a light aerobics class, etc. No reason to start running when walking can get you in the cardio zone.

Now, with weights, that's a bit different. It IS low impact and trying to keep muscle is to your benefit as you ARE losing muscle as you lose weight - not just fat. But again, you don't have to go hard core and I would caution against it. Start light and build up and modify for safety reasons as you increase your core stability and increase strength.

For me, doing all that on my own is impossible, so I either do a video of strength training or take a class - a class helps you with getting correct form too. If you have the funds, hiring a personal trainer might be the way to go.

In the beginning, doing only squats and lunges without weight, etc... all strengthening our muscles without risking injury... SLOW AND STEADY. Before you know it, you'll be strong and lifting hard core.

And you are doing great! YOu have every reason to be proud of how far you've come and it sounds like you are going to go far and get STRONG!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

A good starting point, order the New Rules of Lifting for Life.

It's a good all around program, has levels for every level of fitness, plus it's written so you can customize the workouts to your level of fitness and progress from there.

It is strength/weight lifting based, but also addresses stability and range of motion and power and metabolic.

You can order it for a reasonable price at Amazon.com

Plus they have a forum. jpfitness.com. The authors hang out there plus a lot of other folks like me, like here at 3fc, all are available for advice and encouragement! Very friendly place!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 378/tickers/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the words of advice, everyone! I'm putting the book on my wishlist, but I'm also gonna take it slow.
coolacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Weight lifting done correctly is something you can start right now.

I wouldn't suggest running ever unless that is something you really want to do. Brisk walking while not burning quite as many calories is much easier on your joints.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Weight lifting done correctly is something you can start right now.

I wouldn't suggest running ever unless that is something you really want to do. Brisk walking while not burning quite as many calories is much easier on your joints.
Where's the like button? I can still get my heart rate in an aerobic zone with walking. I just keep trying to walk faster and faster. Walking is something I can do for life and some of the healthiest people I've ever met were lifetime walkers. You can take in the scenery and enjoy while still working the muscles.

On days I don't walk, I do step aerobics and weight lifting.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Where's the like button? I can still get my heart rate in an aerobic zone with walking. I just keep trying to walk faster and faster. Walking is something I can do for life and some of the healthiest people I've ever met were lifetime walkers. You can take in the scenery and enjoy while still working the muscles.

On days I don't walk, I do step aerobics and weight lifting.
+2

I don't run anymore. I just lift and do step and spinning.

And WALK. I walk all the time and I'm constantly walking at work.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/148/135

Height: 5'2

I'm not a cardio freak, but that you can start at any weight. I wouldn't recommend jumping into running unless you have strong ankles and calves... shin splints = the devil.

I think it's a great idea to start building muscle at any size. I lost over 100 pounds without incorporating strength training and sure, I lost weight FAST, but it left me with lots of flab and very little muscle.
ImGoinDown is offline   Reply With Quote