Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #1  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Question Please spell it out for me!

How do you exercise without going bat-sh!t crazy, 150% output? I like to think I am a smart, reasonable person. This does not seem to be the case.

I struggle with OCD and extreme Type A personality. I go hard or don't go at all. This usually helps me is most of what I do. It definitely made losing the weight "easier", in a way. But I suffer from bad migraines, and this summer I had a cluster headache that lasted 2.5 months. It was life-altering. After trying many, many meds and going to every type of doctor they could send me to, I am on a daily medication and physical therapy routine that is keeping my migraines in check.

UNLESS...I work out.

Wha? Huh? Derr?

Every time I work out I get a skull-splitting migraine afterwards. I drink plenty of water and I'm not working out any more or less intense than any time before. In fact, I can barely muster up the courage TO work out, because it scares me! But alas.....I do it anyway after a week of sitting on my thumbs...and BAM..migraine. It obviously has something to do with the fact that when I do work out, I find it nearly impossible to not go full speed ahead.

So PLEASE....assume I have never worked out before and tell me ideas and techniques for a low-medium intensity workout. Do these still work? how can I feel like I am "getting a good workout"?
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

First of all- I am so sorry! sending hugs your way! I wonder if you could just try for longer- low intensity workouts? Like going on a long walk or bike ride, going on a medium-intensity hike? Those workouts may not feel like you're burning insane calories but you are still using your muscles and if you are able to go longer, maybe you'll still feel accomplished at the end? Sometimes DH and I go on hikes and while hiking I don't think twice about it as a "work-out" but the next day I'll be super sore from it! :P
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Low-medium intensity definitely works. It's the only kind of workout I ever do, and I'm able to maintain my goal weight without undue hardship. I can't really advise you about techniques. In the warm months I simply jog and in the colder months I lift light weights or do a spin class (at my own pace).

What is your ultimate goal? Mine is to be moderately fit so I don't jeopardize my health. I don't need to be the fittest girl in town. Perhaps focusing on a moderate goal will help you put less pressure on yourself.

F.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

wondering if you've asked your dr about this specifically?

Last edited by juliastl27; 09-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

What does your doctor say about exercise bringing on headaches? Maybe you need a session or two with a mental health professional to help you with the OCD aspect of the problem.

I have finally "outgrown" migraine headaches, thank goodness, but I sure would learn to moderate my activity if it was likely to bring on a headache.

You are so right about headaches being life-altering. Any one who hasn't suffered has no idea how bad they are. It's wonderful that you finally got the right routine to give you some relief - just don't mess things up now! You will do just fine with a slower pace. Let the positive side of your OCD help you succeed.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #6  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Thank you!

I've been thinking about it more, and I think I need to run more. Mostly because I stink at it, and I almost never go wild and crazy.

I don't feel as though I HAVE to go 150%...I like to. I just really enjoy giving it my all and seeing what my body can do. I never try to calculate calories burned, etc.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote