General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200+/147/140

Height: 5'3

Default Fat Pig

Has anyone seen this play? I went to see it last night at the little community theater. Was about a young man who falls in love with a fat girl. Even though the two of them are not concerned with her size, his co-workers/friends constantly mock him about dating a fat women. Eventually he can not get over what society thinks about her and dumps her. Kind of sad, but so true.

Anyone have this happen in real life? When I was fatter I couldn't find a date to save my life (I was not a pretty fat women), but it would be devastating to find a great guy and then have him act like that.
Coldsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

OMG! I had completely forgotten about that play... I actually went to the opening night here in New York Off Broadway way back in November of 2004... It was at one of my favorite theatre's too... I thought it was very well done... Andrew McCarthy and Jeremy Piven starred in it here in New York... It actually won an Outer Critics Circle Award (a pretty big deal for Off Broadway shows)

I'm glad that show is still having a life after New York (I hope I can say the same about me some day... lol...) I hoped you enjoyed it...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 09-07-2012 at 10:45 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's not exactly the same thing (because I did the dumping) but I have dated guys who I suspect felt this way. At first I just thought they were shy loners, uncomfortable with public displays of affection, because they always wanted to "stay in" rather than go out, and when we were alone the guys were all over me, but were very aloof when we were out with other people (on the rare occasions I could persuade them to go out).

There were also a few guys who I suspect would have dated me, but never actually got the nerve to ask me out. They too would be all flirty when we were alone, but the minute anyone else was around, it was all-platonic.

One guy, a coworker, was very blatant about wanting a sexual relationship, but made it clear he wasn't interested in more (and the implication was that it would need to be a "secret" relationship). He was actually surprised that I wasn't interested (I suppose expecting that a fat girl couldn't, and shouldn't be so choosy).

A couple of these guys I felt very sorry for (not sorry enough to date), because they were so concerned with what everyone else might think, that they were probably destined to be alone forever, because they were never going to attract the kind of girl they wanted others to see them with.

Hubby has a couple friends like this. Even though they're very imperfect themselves, they refuse to date imperfect women. In fact, if they do begin dating, they sabotage the relationship before it can even start by finding the smallest of imperfections as justification to end the relationship.

Their friends try to tell them that their standards are unrealistic (chauvinistic frogs aren't going to attract sophisticated super models), but they won't listen.

I'm not sure if they don't want to be in a relationship, or are afraid of rejection, or just want their friends to be impressed by their high standards.

I'm not sure what it is, but it's pitiful regardless.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote