Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #1  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Default Family get togethers are the worst for eating right.

Cheesey potatoes, steak, garlic bread and the worst, red velvet cake.

Family get togethers really are tough to maneuver, but as of right now I am doing well. I logged calories faithfully, ate myself some salad, made a serving of pasta with olive oil and measured 5ozs of steak. I also made room for some garlic bread. Logged about 35 calories over my limit. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

How do you guys deal with big family dinners?
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

Mmm that sounds so good! Some of my favorite foods! Good job not going overboard.

Anyways, if the family event is something special or happens just a few times a year, I go ahead and indulge, not thinking about calories. I try to eat 80/20. 80 percent of the time I eat super healthy, the other 20 percent I indulge-date nights, family parties, social events, etc. it has worked well for me-I don't feel deprived or anything.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/133/120

Height: 5'1"

Good job! Family dinners are so hard. I have a lot of trouble staying on track when everyone else at the table is eating whatever they feel like. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I too could eat all that food, but I'm *choosing* not to. I think moderation is key here.
LucyRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #4  
Lifestyle Changes

I think I did okay this evening. I'm about to go fix some tea, which always gets my mind off food.

Normally I might let myself do the 80/20, but since I've only just gotten back on the wagon I know it's going to take a few weeks of doing fairly well and losing a chunk of weight before I'm ready to just indulge.

We don't have them too often, but they seem to happen right around the time I'm doing pretty good. I have been asking myself this question, "Can you make it through this evening without binging?"

It basically means if I can do okay tonight why eat badly, since I know there will eventually be a day where I just don't want to fight it and I want to overeat. I figure if I stay on plan the days I have the strength and energy it'll make up for the days that I don't.

I have a long journey ahead of me, so I'm trying to think long term. I don't feel deprived. My dinner was so amazing and I am not mourning the cake, mostly because I read the calories and an eighth of the cake is 500 cals! And 50 grams of sugar! Even half of that isn't worth it tonight. Maybe another night.

And my family definitely just eats whatever during big dinners like this. People bring soda, chips, dips, desserts. If I'm not careful I find myself getting into something before my brain has had a chance to process what I'm doing!

Last edited by thewalrus0; 09-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #5  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I normally up my exercise for the day, and/or offer to bring something I can eat without feeling too guilty. I've actually found taking little bits of the things I want is helpful, too. I've learned I don't really need big portions of high-calorie things to feel satisfied, so I get to try a bit of everything that way.

Also (and this is a big one in my family), choose the foods you like. My stepmom always makes her famous bean salad that I'm not a huge fan of (but others love), so I skip it- it's really not worth the calories to eat something I don't like!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I generally just do the best with what is there. Fortunately my family here in AK is full of health nuts. Our barbecue today was grilled teriyaki marinated tri-tip, grilled onion, and cucumbers and bell peppers for munchies. Dessert was a little icecream and some oatmeal cookies. So eating well wasn't a big issue, thankfully!

When I have been in a part of my plan that is too restrictive for even that, I just abstain from eating for that event and do my own thing before or after. Nobody has ever hassled me about just socializing and drinking water
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I have the opposite problem! I converted all my family-of-origin to eating low-carb, so my week-long vacation with them was eating-right HEAVEN. Nothing but meat, vegetables, and fruit! If only I could convince my husband then my home life would be like that too!
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I see my extended family once every 3-5 years so this isn't an issue, but I go to tons of potlucks and BBQs with my friends and it's the same deal. While entirely possible to eat "well" since people bring salads and meat and fruit, it's also hard not to eat chips and cupcakes and all the other stuff!

35 calories over is really, really great. Congrats on exercising such restraint!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #9  
Lifestyle Changes

Thanks Krampus!

I always notice under your name it says 'NONSMOKER'.

Me too. ^.^ I smoked for 7 years before finally kicking the habit. I think quitting smoking and quitting overindulging in alcohol was a big step towards weight loss for me. I used to have a lot of vices, but now I just drink a tad too much coffee.

Being in a clearer state of mind and in a healthier body makes me feel much better, even at this weight. Food is the last thing I'm trying to come to terms with! Sure is tough, but it's going well so far.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

For the big ones (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) I honestly just don't even worry about it. I've found that my appetite isn't quite what it used to be anyway. All it does it really put a few pounds of water weight on for the next week.

The key is making it ONE day, and not the entire weekend.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Bingo, Vex!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus0 View Post
Thanks Krampus!

I always notice under your name it says 'NONSMOKER'.

Me too. ^.^ I smoked for 7 years before finally kicking the habit. I think quitting smoking and quitting overindulging in alcohol was a big step towards weight loss for me. I used to have a lot of vices, but now I just drink a tad too much coffee.

Being in a clearer state of mind and in a healthier body makes me feel much better, even at this weight. Food is the last thing I'm trying to come to terms with! Sure is tough, but it's going well so far.
Congrats! I'm 2 months smokefree I think. Was using an e-cigarette and ran out of juice and kinda don't miss it. I felt really hypocritical getting to almost-goal weight, going to the gym 5 times a week and being afraid to try sprints because of breathing! I never had a real drinking problem but now I feel like pond scum if I drink anything at all, so that took care of itself too.

Vex hit the nail on the head!!!

Last edited by krampus; 09-05-2012 at 09:45 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
^^True

I think there is no perfect diet because the more you restrict yourself of eating those tempting foods that more likely you'll end up having them and in the end feel guilty about it. As long as you burn more calories than you eat, then you're good.
hello sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #14  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
^ Yesyes this.

That really was a big issue as to why I kept gaining. Luckily the past couple family gatherings, which mind you, I have 4 sides since both parents are remarried/in a serious relationship, were pretty good since I found high protein/veggie, low carb things to eat.

With the dessert though, I would just allow myself to have some, unless I'm on a really restricted week, like this week.

But with an extended family like mine, the key is only giving myself a day of indulgence. We'll see how future gatherings will go. I'm having two this weekend!
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #15  

Christmas is my time of just ultimate failure.

But I have to. My Christmas meals are DELICIOUS! Usually my family has healthy options for family get togethers.

It does help that my sister-in-law just had a baby and wants to be healthy too!
Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote