Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #1  

Default IP and breastfeeding

I am new to IP. I am currently breastfeeding but I do supplement with formula. I would like to use the IP protocol using alternative products and continue breastfeeding. I realize that IP should not be my only source of nutrition. My problem is that my doctor currently has me not taking my high blood pressure medication. My BP has been consistently high to the point that if I can't get it under control soon my doctor is going to put me back on my medication which would cause me to stop breastfeeding. My question is can IP be modified for breastfeeding moms. Is there anyone who was successful doing both?
Kandigyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #2  

There is absolutely no reason to stop BF for Hypertension meds!! Many mothers take hypertensive meds and breast feed! Refer your physician to Dr. Thomas Hale. He is well published and has many books on drugs and breast feeding.

IP being very calorie restricted, you will very likely lose your milk supply. I'm guessing that's the reason you are currently supplementing, so you will find it a very slippery slope to weaning if you restrict your calories this much. Weight watchers has a very healthy eating plan for nursing mothers, you will lose weight and maintain your milk supply. I would advise that route and not IP for now. Perhaps when you've weaned altogether you could try IP. Enjoy this special time with your baby. Once you wean it is hard to get it back. And your baby's immune system needs your milk. Good luck!

Last edited by mompattie; 08-31-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Typos
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Agree with what mompattie said - IP really is too restrictive both in fats and calories to be healthy for a breastfeeding mom. Your body needs extra support nutritionally in order to be able to produce breast milk. You would be better off just eating a healthy, varied diet of at LEAST 1500-2000 calories (it takes about 500 calories just to MAKE a day's worth of breast milk!) and exercising 20 minutes a day until you're ready to wean.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #4  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5' 2"

I am going to throw in my two cents and say that ketosis + milk production sounds like a bad combo. Agree with everything Pattie states above.

Is your doctor doing anything else to determine the cause of your HBP or help resolve it without drugs? You didn't post any stats so not sure how much you have to lose or if there are any other factors that could be addressed, other than weight. In any case, you shouldn't be made to feel as though you have no options. If possible, it might be time to start looking for another doctor who is willing to work with you and not threaten you.

Good luck!
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
There is absolutely no reason to stop BF for Hypertension meds!! Many mothers take hypertensive meds and breast feed! Refer your physician to Dr. Thomas Hale. He is well published and has many books on drugs and breast feeding.

IP being very calorie restricted, you will very likely lose your milk supply. I'm guessing that's the reason you are currently supplementing, so you will find it a very slippery slope to weaning if you restrict your calories this much. Weight watchers has a very healthy eating plan for nursing mothers, you will lose weight and maintain your milk supply. I would advise that route and not IP for now. Perhaps when you've weaned altogether you could try IP. Enjoy this special time with your baby. Once you wean it is hard to get it back. And your baby's immune system needs your milk. Good luck!
Thanks I will look into WeightWatchers. I have over 100 pounds to lose. All my doctor said was that if my numbers didn't improve soon I would have to start back taking my BP medication which is not safe for breastfeeding. I think I should look for another doctor. She did not mention possibly changing my medication so that it would be safe to continue breastfeeding and at that time I didn't think to ask. This is also the same doctor that thought I should "just take diet pills" Ugh.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #6  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandigyrl View Post
This is also the same doctor that thought I should "just take diet pills" Ugh.

Yeah, because HBP and diet pills aren't contraindicated AT ALL.

[/sarcasm]
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #7  

Deleted. Double post.

Last edited by Kandigyrl; 08-31-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187.4/183.4/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandigyrl View Post
I am new to IP. I am currently breastfeeding but I do supplement with formula. I would like to use the IP protocol using alternative products and continue breastfeeding. I realize that IP should not be my only source of nutrition. My problem is that my doctor currently has me not taking my high blood pressure medication. My BP has been consistently high to the point that if I can't get it under control soon my doctor is going to put me back on my medication which would cause me to stop breastfeeding. My question is can IP be modified for breastfeeding moms. Is there anyone who was successful doing both?
Hey Kandigyrl, I myself just started the IP alternative diet, due to me breastfeeding, and I must say things have gone really well for me! I'm losing weight quickly (4 pounds in 2 days!) and my milk supply is still great. I take brewer's yeast and flaxseed oil to help with my milk supply, and if I do get hungry in between meals, I have an extra protein shake and 20 more oz of water. I don't see how this diet would harm milk supply. I ate WAY less before this diet and my weight is doing much better! (I was probably in starvation mode). But I think this should be a personal choice. If you want to lose weight it doesn't hurt to try! Hope this helps you!
BVMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVMarie View Post
Hey Kandigyrl, I myself just started the IP alternative diet, due to me breastfeeding, and I must say things have gone really well for me! I'm losing weight quickly (4 pounds in 2 days!) and my milk supply is still great. I take brewer's yeast and flaxseed oil to help with my milk supply, and if I do get hungry in between meals, I have an extra protein shake and 20 more oz of water. I don't see how this diet would harm milk supply. I ate WAY less before this diet and my weight is doing much better! (I was probably in starvation mode). But I think this should be a personal choice. If you want to lose weight it doesn't hurt to try! Hope this helps you!
I'm just going to throw in an unsolicited opinion. The tricky thing with breastmilk is not all breast milk is equal in nutritional content. Some women can produce milk, but it is thin, watery, with little nutrition. Others have milk that is so rich with fat and nutrition that a little goes a long way. I personally wold be concerned that even the alternative diet is too restricted in calories to support breastfeeding well...it's not a lot more calories than regular IP, and breastfeeding can be very demanding in terms of calories. I don't think you can count on the mere fact that you are still producing milk to ensure it is nutritionally adequate to support a growing baby's brain development. Maybe others can give their opinions.

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 01-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
I'm just going to throw in an unsolicited opinion. The tricky thing with breastmilk is not all breast milk is equal in nutritional content. Some women can produce milk, but it is thin, watery, with little nutrition. Others have milk that is so rich with fat and nutrition that a little goes a long way. I personally wold be concerned that even the alternative diet is too restricted in calories to support breastfeeding well...it's not a lot more calories than regular IP, and breastfeeding can be very demanding in terms of calories. I don't think you can count on the mere fact that you are still producing milk to ensure it is nutritionally adequate to support a growing baby's brain development. Maybe others can give their opinions.
Agreed! Human brains need fat
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
This is a load of garbage. Sorry to be so blunt, but there is NO SUCH THING as too thin milk. Such a massive misconception about human milk. All human milk is nutritious, is is not the QUALITY but the QUANTITY. A mothers milk will be good, at the cost of her own bodies nutrition. Severely malnourished mothers from underdeveloped countries, who exclusively breastfeeding their babies will have healthy babies at the demise of their own health. The milk wins always.

The original poster of this thread was already supplementing with formula, so I was concerned that she may find a further decrease in her supply due to the restrictions of IP. This is not the case for everyone, if you are exclusively breastfeeding you probably don't have an issue with supply.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I was hoping Pattie would chime in - she is a lactation nurse

And to highlight something she said - MILK always wins, even if to the detriment of the mother's body. So if you are eating an IP diet, even the alternative plan for diabetics, the nutrients will go to the milk FIRST - and you may very well be depriving your own body in the process. I believe it takes a MINIMUM of 500 calories per day to make breast milk. That means a "diet" plan while breastfeeding should be NO LESS than 1500 calories per day - 500 to the milk production, 1000 to the mom. Balanced with fruit, veg, dairy and protein.

I still hold that IP should wait until breastfeeding is done, so that mom ends up as healthy as baby

Last edited by scorbett1103; 01-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #13  

Thanks Scorbett!!!

I just read Gary Taubes book "why we get fat". It was very good!!! Check it out!! He says that during ketosis our body will convert MORE ketone bodies into fuel to adjust if our bodies need more calories that were not getting from glucose. I agree with you though, I just don't feel right about mom not getting the nutrients she needs while producing milk.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
This is a load of garbage. Sorry to be so blunt, but there is NO SUCH THING as too thin milk. Such a massive misconception about human milk. All human milk is nutritious, is is not the QUALITY but the QUANTITY. A mothers milk will be good, at the cost of her own bodies nutrition. Severely malnourished mothers from underdeveloped countries, who exclusively breastfeeding their babies will have healthy babies at the demise of their own health. The milk wins always.

The original poster of this thread was already supplementing with formula, so I was concerned that she may find a further decrease in her supply due to the restrictions of IP. This is not the case for everyone, if you are exclusively breastfeeding you probably don't have an issue with supply.
So much for what the lactation consultant at La Leche told us. That's were I got that from, when I was breastfeeding.

eta: I don't think today's poster addressed whether or not she is supplementing.

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 01-03-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

I agree with Mompattie (SHE KNOWS!!!!) I breastfed my littlest while on weight watchers and had a fantastic milk supply and lost 30 pounds. I had a very hard time initially with nursing and keeping my supply and my lactation consultant helped immensely! Weight Watchers has an excellent plan for nursing mothers. The only reason I quit WW was because I had stalled with their new program. IP is the best for me but I personally would not do it while nursing. Nursing my son was the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Enjoy it. He is my healthiest child by far. I could go on an on about the benefits of nursing. Good luck with your decision.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote