Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #1  
the muse of memory

Default Can this nutrition information be correct?

Hey all,

I bought some "Whole Wheat / Organic Tofu" pasta from Crumbs Bakery in Athens, Ohio in an 8 oz package. The nutrition info on the past is 104 calories per 2 ounce serving. Can this be correct? In my head, pasta is approx 200 calories per 2 ounce serving, and most of their other products (admittedly, not "Whole Wheat/ Organic Tofu") are closer to that number, in the higher 100s. I presume 2 ounces makes 1 cup cooked.

Whole wheat flour is definitely the primary ingredient; the tofu is way down the list. Would the addition of tofu really cut down the calories that much?

I am scratching my head! The calorie count just seems low.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Double check their math by adding up the carb, protein, and fat calories

To calculate the calories

A. multiply the fat grams by 9

B. multiply the protein grams by 4

c. subtract the fiber grams from the carb grams and then take that number and multiply it by 4.

Now add the numbers those three numbers (the results from step A, B, and C)

This is the number of calories in the actual product. If the calorie count on the box is a significantly higher number than the results you got, there's a good chance that the company didn't subtract the fiber calories (if so the difference in calories between your count and theirs is going to be the number of fiber calories multiplied by 4).

There are a few other sources of difference (such as the calorie counts from sugar alcohols and the fact that companies can estimate and round up or down to a certain degree).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, that sounds about right. Tofu (Shirataki) noodles are typically 10 calories per 2 ounce serving, and whole wheat pasta ranges from around 170-220 for 2 ounces.

Also, I wouldn't just assume that the weight will match one cup. I would weigh it if I were you.

Also, hi from Columbus Ohio!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #4  
the muse of memory

Thank you both! I've seen shirataki, but never tried it. I did the calculations and the numbers added up. It did not taste as great as whole wheat pasta plain, but was great when I tossed it with some ratatouille.

And hey Kelly! I am in Huntington, WV, (not Athens, alas) but go to Columbus at least a couple of times a year for some reason or other. Most recently last week! My mom and kid brother both went to OSU.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #5  

The tofu/shirataki noodles are not a dried product - they are super hydrated and packed in water. If you are using a dry product I would be sceptical
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #6  

i have ever use it, it's correct
alexmaz is offline   Reply With Quote