Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 375/319/140

Height: 5'7"

Default New here

Hi everyone. I was previously doing the Dukan Diet and lost 40 lbs, but have decided to go with RNY. I have chosen my surgeon and am awaiting approval from the insurance company. I am expecting a yes due to my BMI and their lack of requirements. I am pretty excited to get this going and to meet others along the way in the same boat I am in
chickonamission2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

hey there, chick! welcome to our corner of the world. sounds like you have GREAT insurance - congratulations!

sooo - what convinced you that this was the way you wanted to go? we've all ended up at this place for a variety of reasons - mine was deteriorating health. others chose this to prevent health problems.

looking forward to getting to know you!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #3  

Thanks! Yeah, we got pretty lucky with the insurance. We just got it through my husband's job and it is fantastic. I had looked into it a few years back and was all ready to do it, but couldn't come up with the out of pocket expenses. Then, we ended up moving out of state and my husband was considered a temp where he was working for a couple years and now we finally have coverage. I decided to look into it again because I have been having a lot of medical problems of late. I have really bad back pain and actually had to quit my own job because of it. At the end of the day, my back pain would be so bad that I couldn't stand completely upright and I can't take pain pills to deal with it very often because I have a very low tolerance and they knock me out so I can't function. I have always had trouble with knees since I was a kid and tore the meniscus, but that has gotten a lot worse and I can hear and feel them grinding going up and down stairs. On top of that, I am just ready to get healthy and stop wasting my life worrying if I will fit in this seat or if the waiter will put us in a booth and dreading family vacations where (god forbid) I should have to put on a swim suit.

I started the Dukan Diet back in April and did pretty good - within a few months, I had lost 30 pounds, but now it is pretty much at a standstill (like always). Then, I lose motivation because no matter how hard I try, it doesn't work. Then I cheat and wreck it all. I think the RNY will help me because the consequences are much worse for messing up. I think that the fast weight loss in the beginning will help ease my back pain and I will be able to do more exercising and will obviously do much better with more activity.

I know the road ahead won't be an easy one, but I am ready for a permanent change. And, having my husband on my side can't hurt either. He has done fantastic on the Dukan Diet and is down 80 lbs! with probably another 40-50 to go.

Right now, I am trying to maintain the weight loss I have achieved so far, but not lose anymore until I get the approval letter from the insurance company because my BMI is right on the border of requiring the 6 mo. supervised diet and psych eval and whatnot.

(sorry for the novel!)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Great to have you here, Chick! This is a great place for support. Hope to see you here a lot!
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #5  

Thanks Terry!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #6  
Work In Progress

S/C/G: 355/199/180

Height: 5'6''

I had my surgery a year ago and I had the same issues as you regarding back and knees. My back got better quickly and now I'm getting shots of hyaluronic acid which has helped tremendously. I hope this happens quickly for you because it's the best thing you can do. Best of luck!
NYCKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I am in the "planning stages". I meet the insurance requirements, but one of them is the 6 month supervised diet. I have lost 30 pounds in 2 months. I am hoping for a surgery date the end of December. It wil all depend on exactly WHAT the insurance company will consider as 6 months. If they go by 24 weeks, I will have completed that in early December, if they want 6 calander months, then it will be in January.

I had knee surgery and a lot of physical therapy this year so all my deductibles are met for 2012. If I end up waiting until January I a $2000 oop max, which is doable.

I am excited to follow your progress!! Best of luck!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #8  
Dancer need to lose some

S/C/G: 160/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to 3FC.
Hotpink88 is offline   Reply With Quote