Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/139/125

Height: 5'5

Default Limited exercise options...

I broke the fifth metatarsal in my foot about 5 weeks ago (surgery to correct with pin and screws 4 weeks ago), and obviously I have restrictions for walking and such. I was in my second week of my p90x when I broke my foot. So now I'm just crushed. I want to work out so much. Dieting alone makes me feel like I'm doing as much as I could be. And the only suggestions I've seen online are shadow boxing or swim running but I don't have the pool availability and shadow boxing doesn't give me that sense of achievement if that makes sense. I don't feel like I've worked the most I could have. I can walk on my foot (without a brace) as long as I put pressure solely on my heel. So its not like I'm crutch bound. But I'm dying for a good work out but all that I find are jump squats and jumping jacks and too much high pressure movements on my feet for me to be able to do them.

I'm doing the biggest loser challenge on here and would LOVE something that's going to wear me out but not hurt my foot. I've thought about looking into pilates but I don't know if I'd be able to hold myself up for some of the poses. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to get my blood pumping and muscles burning!? I can't wait for the ok to do light things again from my doctor but until then I am in NEED of some cardio or something. Anything.

Thanks a ton guys!! I'm open to ANY suggestions!!
karenp1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/165/120

Height: 5'9

Well diet is 80% of weight loss, so all is not lost. But what about weight lifting, hula hoop, cross trainer, some exercise machines, pull ups on a bar thing, resistance band?
prettygirlkacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #3  

Yeah I have resistance bands but that's it. Oddly enough with 3 kids we actually don't have a hula hoop! lol Now I have to get one even just for their sake! How can you be a kid without one!? But anywho... lol I have been trying to get a friend's elliptical that they aren't using but my husband is taking his sweet time. I'll look into cross trainers, so far I've found a couple that are pretty cheap where I could probably be able to get one soon. Other than that I just try to keep moving a bunch. And watching what I eat.. even more so.. bleh..
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #4  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Can you do squats without the jump? Or pistol squats, even? Pull-ups are a great suggestion, and you can do negatives if you can't do a full one.

Do you have access to any dumbbells? You could do all kinds of upper-body weight training if your lower-body really just won't do it yet.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #5  

My dumbbells are cans of veggies lol. I always mean to buy some varying low weight dumbbells but I always am crunched for money and never manage to get them after other more needed things. And I don't have anything for pull-ups. And squats kinda worry me. I am not supposed to put pressure on the pad of my foot by my toes because the pressure could break my pin, and when I do squats I sometimes hit forward closer to my toes. I'm thinking about just doing lots and lots of various sit ups and scissor kicks.. ugh hate em but would definitely make me sore the next day..
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Karen, do you have access to a gym or PT? If there's an 'aerodyne' (or airdyne) bike (the handle bars move as well as the pedals) you can work your arms & one leg (or just arms) and get your cardio in. It's pretty low tech - which is a good thing because if a place has one it's usually not in use! A good alternative when you're not supposed to move your foot at all, though it sounds like you have a some range of movement.

Good luck on the recovery.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #7  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh geez that sucks so bad... have you tried shadow punching while holding weights? I know you mentioned you only have cans of food for weights, but those should be sufficient.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote