Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default a doctor's visit

So, here's the deal. i had to go to the cardiologist today [routine check up - i have atrial fibrillation - and before anyone panics, my heart rhythm is normal, just like it was at my last visit].

and i told him that i was eating a lot of junk, and throwing up a lot. we all know that this can throw off your electrolytes and affect your heart rhythm, especially if you're dehydrated. his reaction: a blank stare.

last time i saw him, i told my PCP the same thing and his reaction: you're losing weight, right?

and yes, i am. but .....

now, i gotta confess that i've been really focusing on why i'm losing large parts of my <Small> meals, and i have to honestly say that it's because of any combination of things: not chewing well enough, taking big bites, hurrying to get through whatever i'm eating.

just frustrating. seems like as long as my weight goes down or at least doesn't go up, docs are happy - no matter what the road is to get there.

RANT OVER
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Oh Jiff, sorry you're having such a struggle. Not eating right and throwing up is such a strain on the body. I have had to adjust things myself and remember to be kind to myself.

Even years out, I have to remember to...chew the food, don't drink too soon afterwards, eat protein first, no more then 15 carbs a meal, drink enough, exercise. Wow, when they said it would be for the rest of our lives, it doesn't sink in until we are years out and still having to do what we have to do.

We are human, Jiffy...we go through hard times, do things we don't think we can stop, until we are ready to stop. Sending you some love.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #3  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I'm searching for something to say that isn't trite and useless as someone who is less than a year post op.

This trite but true, we are only human. We develop years and years of horrible destructive habits and addictions. We have this surgery, maybe you've had counselling but all those years of terrible behaviours may never, ever go away. It's a b!tch but there it is. Wow is that a downer or what? BUT is that any reason not to struggle, not to try, not to exert your willpower and force of mind against the bad habit demon! Heck no! I struggle, I have some success, I screw up, I fall off the wagon but I get back up, I make my graphs, my journals, whatever is going to motivate me and I just keep on going. I am proud of what I have accomplished so far and I know I have it in me to do better, to be a better and healthier person. I may never get to the weight I would really love to be but I know now I am far healthier today than I would be if I hadn't had the surgery and no doubt I have already extended my lifespan by many, many years.

Be proud of what you have accomplished. Keep on working towards being a healthier, happier person and no matter what you weigh you will accomplish your goals.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #4  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I feel your pain Jiff, I am right there with you. All that you mention, eating too fast, not chewing, drinking too soon after....yikes. Sending you hugs sister!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

thank you, ladies! i'm really feeling the love.

what really bugs me, though, is that not a single doc says something like 'are you getting enough vitamins?' OR 'it's been awhile since we've checked your vitamin levels.' OR 'maybe we should scope you' [to which i'd reply that it's not necessary, but at least they would have RESPONDED!!!!!]
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #6  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, at least ACT like they care!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Jiff, probably the only doc that knows enough about WLS to suggest those things is a bariatric surgeon. Many docs don't seem to know a whole lot about other specialties. I've found with cancer--and mostly from others because mine is easily treated--that patients often have to educate the doctors, if they care to listen. But you would think either one of those would have done a CbC and a CMP.
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

absolutely! I hand-picked both of these docs for several reasons: they were intimately involved with the bariatric surgery program where i had my surgery. they were highly recommended by someone i trusted - who had also had the surgery. And I discussed the surgery right from the get-go. it's on all my paperwork, all the computer screens. THIS ISN'T NEWS!!! or shouldn't be

for some reason, though, they need a lot of reminding. and I want them to put their brains in gear instead of running on automatic!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Jif-
i just posted on the 300+ group about doctors who are "firing' patients based on their weight or refusing to treat patients because of their weight. We ll know the dangers of being overweight, bt I have found many doctors treat obese people like they are ignorant. In our case it sounds as if they can't see the forrest for the trees. As long as your losing weight it really doesn't matter HOW you are losing weight. Sounds like the doctor needs a kick in the pants....or maybe it'stime for his colonoscopy....so someone can find his head!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote