Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11

Default Personal training and self training

Hi
I have had personal training for 5 months now , and look /feel great. I have one month left before I finish my 6mth program. The training is expensive, and I chose PT because I needed the discipline. But i have a budget and can't continue PT training. Has anyone gone from PT training to self training successfully at home? Set up their own weights and such?

I am scared that when my PT ends , I will fall back into my old habits :// of course I will try my hardest not too.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Thkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #2  

Default weights

I joined and started going to our local YMCA in June. I love it! They have a lynx system which records your weights for each piece of equipment. It is very motivating. It is also cool and great music plays! Do you have a local Y? I have lost 17 lbs. and have 80 more to go. I feel better after I go to the Y. Good luck!
cinthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I've trained at home, and I've trained at a gym with a trainer. I prefer the gym and the trainer, mostly for the social aspect, and because my trainer makes sure I do what's good for me instead of just the stuff I like the most, lol. But, I know what you mean, it isn't cheap!

I'd suggest that you start writing up workouts for yourself, planning ahead, and maybe run them by your trainer, if that's appropriate, or find online sources for workouts, and keep your same workout time and days if you can, or some kind of "appointment" with yourself would help. A support group online, like one of the chat threads on 3FC or on some website you like, could help keep you accountable and just give you a place to post when you get a PR on your lifts...it always helps to have somebody who cares when something happens, good or bad! You might also keep a gym membership, even though you won't have a trainer, but as cinthia said, if you belong to a Y or 24 hr fitness or whatever...a lot of gym have memberships that are pretty cheap monthly, so you've at least got access to equipment, and if you go at the same time every day, you'll likely meet some other lifters and be able for form some friendships there, some accountability and encouragement, that could help keep the workouts fun. Good luck!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
I've trained at home, and I've trained at a gym with a trainer. I prefer the gym and the trainer, mostly for the social aspect, and because my trainer makes sure I do what's good for me instead of just the stuff I like the most, lol. But, I know what you mean, it isn't cheap!

I'd suggest that you start writing up workouts for yourself, planning ahead, and maybe run them by your trainer, if that's appropriate, or find online sources for workouts, and keep your same workout time and days if you can, or some kind of "appointment" with yourself would help. A support group online, like one of the chat threads on 3FC or on some website you like, could help keep you accountable and just give you a place to post when you get a PR on your lifts...it always helps to have somebody who cares when something happens, good or bad! You might also keep a gym membership, even though you won't have a trainer, but as cinthia said, if you belong to a Y or 24 hr fitness or whatever...a lot of gym have memberships that are pretty cheap monthly, so you've at least got access to equipment, and if you go at the same time every day, you'll likely meet some other lifters and be able for form some friendships there, some accountability and encouragement, that could help keep the workouts fun. Good luck!
Thank you!
Thkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #5  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

I've always done it on my own, but it seems to go better when I have a plan to follow. I've been doing Starting Strength (by Mark Rippetoe) for several months, and every time I walk into the gym I know exactly what I'm going to do. Keeping a workout log with weights and reps helps me know when to progress to a heavier weight, and it also helps keep me honest about going! Although, honestly my gym time is my sanity time, so I can't imagine not wanting to go...
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote