General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone make sushi at home?

I've been paying way to much to feed my sushi habit, so I'm thinking about starting to make it at home. Those who have done it- how do you deal with the fish? I think I would want to cook it, just in case.

What are your favorite types of rolls? I love salmon and california rolls.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I made homemade sushi once with a friend. He brought the sushi grade tuna (it's frozen at ultra-low temperatures and you use it as soon as it thaws).

We also made california rolls.

I never repeated the experiment, because while itwas a lot of fun, it was also a lot of work, and we ended up with WAY too much sushi to eat between the two of us in two days (and three day old sushi... even if it's not made with raw fish is still a bit icky). For a big party I might do it again, but just for myself, probably not.

Apparently a lot of sushi can be frozen, but we didn't know that at the time.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #3  
Jigglypuff

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

I haven't tried homemade sushi yet, but I snack on roasted seaweed all. the. time. Totally cures my craving for something salty/crunchy and there is practically nothing to it!
Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #4  

my wife too want to know how she can make sushi
fighter2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I used to have huge sushi parties at my house...

Google "how to make sushi rice" and it will give you a good recipe for making authentic sticky sushi rice, using the real sushi rice for it. Then grab some wasabi paste, pink ginger(if you like it) seseme seeds and some imitation crab(thats what they use in california) and some shrimp or some pre-cooked prawns..some avocado, cucumber, smoked salmon, shreaded carrot ect... and roll away!

My faves are: California roll(cucs, imit crab, mayo,avocado)
Crazy cali roll (Cream cheese, cuc, crab, mayo, avocado)..which is then rolled and dredged in a tempura batter and fried
Dynamite roll(yam, prawn cucumber, lettuce leaf, chipotle mayo)
Yam Roll(Just yam)
Salmon Roll (smoked salmon, shredded carrot,apple)
Avocado Roll(just avocado and cucumber)
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Porthardygurl. I've been looking for smoked salmon but can't seem to find it in any grocery stores around here. Where do you buy yours?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

im in canada so that might make the difference..and i also happen to live near a smoked salmon fish plant..so we have it readily available...

You could try just cooking a piece of salmon and then allowing it to cool and then stickin it in your roll when its cold.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #8  

My family is really into making its own sushi. We use a brown rice we get at an Asian grocery store, and it works well. You can get sushi grade tuna, and other fish at Asian stores. For smoked salmon, do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They sell it... Check the deli section of a large grocery store. Its also called lox. A Google search should help you find a lot of info and step by steps on how to roll it. Also, check your local library for cookbooks that specialize in it. I have several I have purchased through the years and they were great for getting started.

Just a couple tips off the top of my head...when you cut rolls, dip your knife in cold water to keep the rice from sticking. You get a cleaner cut. A sushi mat sure is helpful...they sell them at Asian stores. I bought a kilo of wasabi..its easy to mix, just make a paste of the powder and water, and turn the bowl upside down for a while. It makes it have more of a bite.

Have fun! You can use anything you like in sushi...I have recipes for spam, and ham, as well as the fish and veggie rolls.

Last edited by Ellen; 08-28-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote