Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #1  
Becoming A Better Me

Default calorie counting concern/confusion

ok so ive been calorie counting lil over a month now and my health teacher put me at 1274 a day limit (set @ 2lb a day loss) and i WAS doing great til the past week or so... what i assumed was "pms cravings n hunger" im thinkin is something different now just dont know what... im HUNGRY all the time now! grumbling/rumbling tummy n all! im not junkfooding it (which is a huge plus for me)but im terrified of sabotaging myself! WHATS WRONG WITH ME?!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

2lbs a day? Is that a typo?

1200 calories might just be too low for you. You can probably lose on more. When I was in the 180s I lost at around 1500-1600 calories a day.

Otherwise look at the foods you're eating! Are you choosing foods that will fill you up for fewer calories? Lots of veggies and lean proteins as opposed to breads, fruits and desserts?
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #3  
Becoming A Better Me

Default oops...

i meant 2lbs a WEEK ugh sorry! i was less active to begin with but since losing 8lbs so far (altho sounds like small amount) it has made a huge difference in my knees n back n have become more active n more hungry!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I question 2 pounds a day, also. Did you mean 2 pounds a week ? I also think that calorie limit is a little low ? Who told you 1274 calories a day ? I think you could lose on 1500 calories a day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #5  
Becoming A Better Me

oops... i meant 2lbs a WEEK sorry. I am more active now than i was when i 1st started the cc. ive lost 8lbs so far (at last weigh-in 2 wks ago) n altho that doesnt sound like much it has made a huge difference in my joints n back n am becoming more active and more hungry it seems!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #6  
Becoming A Better Me

sorry bout repeat, fone said it didnt go thru. i go to a health class 2 times and the teacher is an RN n Nutritionist. each of us were given "personalized" cc scores n such.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

A lot of people experience a lack of appetite when they first start eating fewer calories- the trouble is, if you're eating too few, your appetite usually comes back with a vengeance.

I suggest increasing your intake slightly- maybe up to 1350 at first, and doing an overhaul of what you're eating. Avoid processed flours (breads, white crackers) in favor of things high in fiber. Try beans and lentils, greek yogurt, whole grain foods, and plenty of veg. The best thing you can do to control your appetite is to get plenty of protein and fiber.

Also, I recommend drinking lots of water. Often hunger is actually thirst manifesting itself. Water will also help you to feel fuller and your body to work more efficiently.

And if you're exercising a lot, you might want to think about "eating back" at least some of your calories. That is, if you burn an extra 200 calories that day, eat 100-200 more than you normally would.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, there are two sources of hunger that is out of proportion to the quantity of food I'm eating.

Hormones (usually around PMS/TOM, but sometimes it happens mid-cycle to, which I'm guessing is ovulation). The mid-cycle hunger burst usually is shorter and less intense than PMS/TOM hunger which can last up to 10 days.

Carbohydrates (even good carbohydrates like fruit and whole grains) can trigger more hunger and cravings. I'm not saying a low-carb diet is necessary, but you might find that you have less hunger if you always eat carbohydrates with some fat and/or protein. When I eat fruit for breakfast without protein, I'm STARVING about 40 minutes later. But when I eat fruit with protein and a little fat, I don't get the same reaction.

Some of the nutrition experts say that drastic carb-triggered hunger spikes happens or can happen to everyone. Others say that it's only a problem for people with metabolic issues (such as diabetes and other blood sugar issues).

A food journal (where you note not only what you're eating, but also how you're feeling, including when you experience hunger and cravings and what kind of hunger) can help a lot, because you will start to see patterns in terms of which foods (both kinds of food and combinations of foods) seem to satisfy longer, and which trigger hunger and cravings.

Also look for ways to "bulk up" what you're eating without adding calories. Just as an example, last night I had a frozen dinner for supper. I steamed a bag of mixed vegetables in the microwave and then microwaved the dinner and poured the hot dinner over a plate of the steamed veggies.

Frozen dinners aren't a great choice for me, usually but I always keep a few for days when I'm not up to cooking. If I eat them "as is" I'm usually much hungrier after eating them, but if I add protein or high-fiber veggies they are much more filling.

Whether or not I'm eating frozen dinners, when I'm hungrier I ask myself "what can I add to my plate that will add bulk but not a lot of calories." Usually the answer is low-calorie veggetables, lots and lots of low-calorie vegetables.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For me, there are two sources of extreme, uncontrollable hunger.

Hormones (usually around PMS/TOM, but sometimes it happens mid-cycle to, which I'm guessing is ovulation). The mid-cycle hunger burst usually is shorter and less intense than PMS/TOM hunger which can last up to 10 days.

Carbohydrates (even good carbohydrates like fruit and whole grains) can trigger more hunger and cravings. I'm not saying a low-carb diet is necessary, but you might find that you have less hunger if you always eat carbohydrates with some fat and/or protein. When I eat fruit for breakfast without protein, I'm STARVING about 40 minutes later. But when I eat fruit with protein and a little fat, I don't get the same reaction.

Some of the nutrition experts say that drastic carb-triggered hunger spikes happens or can happen to everyone. Others say that it's only a problem for people with metabolic issues (such as diabetes and other blood sugar issues).

A food journal (where you note not only what you're eating, but also how you're feeling, including when you experience hunger and cravings and what kind of hunger) can help a lot, because you will start to see patterns in terms of which foods (both kinds of food and combinations of foods) seem to satisfy longer, and which trigger hunger and cravings.
I agree with Kaplods here. If I eat carbs or sugar, I tend to feel much more hungry. Go for the protein and fiber!!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

We're about the same place according to your ticker - I was on 1450 calories per day and a burn of 2450...so I had a 1000 deficit each day - 7000 in one week equals 2 pounds - but for me - my stress fracture set me back just a little and I wasn't burning as much as I should have. I'm a little behind where I should be by now but not too far. good luck!
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #11  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I agree with Kaplods here. If I eat carbs or sugar, I tend to feel much more hungry. Go for the protein and fiber!!
This! Also, don't be afraid to add some fat in your diet by cooking in olive oil, coconut oil, or adding nuts, dark chocolate nibbles, or avocados. Yes, they are more caloric but I find when I have the right balance of protein, carbs, and fat, I can go a long time before the next meal (I often can skip dinner). Usually, I'm hungry in a couple of hours if my meal is too carb heavy.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #12  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim2012 View Post
This! Also, don't be afraid to add some fat in your diet by cooking in olive oil, coconut oil, or adding nuts, dark chocolate nibbles, or avocados. Yes, they are more caloric but I find when I have the right balance of protein, carbs, and fat, I can go a long time before the next meal (I often can skip dinner). Usually, I'm hungry in a couple of hours if my meal is too carb heavy.
kaplods as always, well phrased, well said, and lots of knowledge!

but also, i've noticed the same thing. protein/carb/fat balance- not really hungry around dinner.

i usually have breakfast, lunch, (what i call lunch 2.0/snack attack) and then a coffee/tea at night.

on the weekends my last meal is usually around 4 pm and that's usually snack attack (i estimate that at about 200-300 cals lol)
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #13  
Becoming A Better Me

i keep a daily journal n have since i started cc n not only a daily calorie allotment but also carb, fat, fiber, protein, n such ( not sure if all cc is done this way since im new to it). i no longer eat processed carbs only healthy. i no longer eat red meat, little to no processed foods due to sodium. as i said i feel a huge dif in my body already for the good n i am able to be way more active n have been. thank you all for ur much needed advice as i want to make my lifestyle change a permanent success n need to learn all the ins n outs that i can, i will b bombarding my teacher with LOTS of questions this week! lol!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I'm wondering- so many people here say 1200-1300 calories is way too little and you can lose on 1500, etc. But whenever I type my goals into any type of weight loss/calories needed calculator such as on daily plate or my fitness pal, it always recommends 1200 a day for a 2lb a week weight loss. So....is it okay to eat 1200 a day, or not?
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #15  
Started IP 6/27/12

S/C/G: 240/184/130

Height: 5'3

Avoid foods high in carbs like breads and stuff stick with whole grains high In fiber.

Last edited by jessicaolsonx4; 08-13-2012 at 08:47 AM.
jessicaolsonx4 is offline   Reply With Quote