Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Default Scary day yesterday..

Yesterday I was just standing round (we were outside but I run in this heat so it doesn't bother me usually) and all of a sudden I felt my neck start thumping.. then I felt SO sick, like I was gonna vomit. I told my husband I felt like I was gonna puke and he told me to sit down. They had a pool deck right next to me so I went to take a seat. All I remember is turning around thinking, I will sit there.. apparently I went over there and I leaned over the railing. My husband said he ran over to me thinking I was gonna puke but I was out cold. I went to fall over and he caught me and laid me flat on the grass. Took about 30 seconds to fully wake up. I remember hearing him yell at me not to get up and yelling my name but other than that I couldn't see anything and I do not remember anything at all.. other than telling him I was gonna be sick and turning around. My butt, hip and arm are sore. I guess I fell on the pool deck.

I looked up online how many calories I need now that I weight 184.. way more than I was eating. I have been going at about 1200 calories a day. This morning I had a pretty bad migraine too and that is not typical of me to get them unless there is a hormonal reason (pregnancy, time of the month..stuff like that). So I am going in to see the doctor today. I have also been losing hair like CRAZY! I don't know what the heck is going on with me. It could have been the heat I guess but I was 1 of 6 people out there...I am in the heat 3X's a week exercising hard and I have lived in tx all my life. I am used to the heat. I feel pretty dizzy today too.. and sick almost.

4 more hours I will hear what the dr has to say.
Ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #2  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey! Jw. Are you drinking enough liquids? They don't actually need to be water. But just keeping hydrated? Also the hair falling out thing..
Maybe adding a little gatoraid..
Do you have a multi-vitamin? You could be losing nutrients.
Also have you ever had your thyroid checked? Losing hair is a big indicator..Along with dry skin and hair, brittle nails, dry eyes, tired all of the time, even if you've had enough sleep you don't feel rested, you basically never have to pee, the tired thing is a big one though. but it could totally not be your thyroid too. : )
Way to go on the 52 pounds!!!
(sorry that's a lot of questions. my parents are nurses lol)
Hope you figure it out!

Last edited by beahawkins; 08-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I hope that they have an answer for you! That is scary. Time to rest, rest, rest!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I had the same experience last week and felt exactly like that just before I passed out on a 112 degree football field. I'm used to the heat too, but this summer is different. It's just crazy hot outside - perhaps you just weren't hydrated enough or lost too many electrolytes. Afterwards I felt I guess ok, but kind of "off" for the next day or so like you say. I also had the headache. How hot was it outside? Did your skin feel clammy or extra hot?

I'm also on 1200 calories, but I don't think it was related to that with me. Maybe it's because of the lower salt diet that we lose electrolytes faster than normal. I really wonder about your hair falling out though - which makes me wonder if 1200 is just flat out too low for your metabolism.

I did read that once you've had a heat exhaustion episode you are more inclined to get them - so be aware if that's indeed what it was.

I'm really curious to know what your Dr. says...

Last edited by Vex; 08-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #5  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Are you eating back any exercise calories? Yep, 1200 isn't enough for you especially if you're exercising a lot. I agree with whoever said to take a vitamin.

Feel better!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Same thing happened to me last summer, luckily my bf caught me before I hit the ground. For me it was low iron...
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #7  

Yes, it is just so weird. I have never had anything like this happen to me before. I was in the shade, it was about 90 or so.. maybe a little hotter but not much more. I wasn't really sweating.. maybe that isn't a good thing. Both of my parents have thryoid problems and most people in my family do as well (My brother has a cyst on his and my cousin had cancer with hers) so I know I need to ask about that. Didn't know the hair falling out was a sign.. I used to be tired all of the time.. and still get episodes of being randomly tired and grumpy, but that usually goes away and I have tons of energy, due to exercise. Is it strange that I want to get the ok to go running today!? HAHA Yeah, I think I have issues. I also am freaking out about adding more calories to my diet because I WILL NOT go back to the 200's ever again. I am sure the doctor will give me a good number to start with. I have to be honest, sometimes I do not reach 1200 either.. I get close but I just do not get hungry all that often. I need to buy fruit more because I do notice I eat that without a issue. Maybe veggies too. We have been being really tight on our income so buying fresh fruit/veggies is pretty hard for us.
I have noticed a decrease in energy and all around good feeling from being without them.
The increase in migraines lately has me a little worried too. I also get pains under my ribs like gall stones sometimes but that has gotten way better with weight loss. I also had ibs pretty bad but that has also gotten better with weight loss. I haven't been to the "doctor" in at least 10 years. I have been to the obgyn but that is it. Guess I needed this anyway.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8  

Iron.. didn't think about that either.. I have been bruising up pretty bad lately for no real reason. like I don't even notice hitting something but the next day I am bruised badly. I have a huge bruise on my arm right now and that isn't even from falling. Isn't that a sign of anemia? I know I have heard that before but maybe it is a myth. I will ask the dr. My husband caught me thankfully, for the most part. I think I may have hit the railing before he realized what is going on. I was going for the pavement though so thankfully he realized what was up before I dropped. Of course I don't remember him catching me.. his uncle said "glad he caught you or it may have been really bad" I was like...what! he caught me. Didn't even realize it at all..

and no I don't take vitamin.. I need to start I guess...

Last edited by Ash2007; 08-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

Some of the main symptoms of thyroid issues are hair falling out, moodiness, fatigue....and it runs in the family. I think it's worth getting it checked out.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #10  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Are you eating enough protein and carbs? If I feel weak, a slice of lunchmeat can help.. If it is your thyroid, they are horrible for causing weird problems. But once it's under control things can get better. But you have to watch for the symptoms so they can change your prescription.
I have hashimoto's a form of hypo-thyroid.. My hair doesn't really fall out, but it gets really dry. If I wanted I could go a week between hair washes I could...
Hope your appointment went well : )
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

I'll just throw my 2 cents in... I've always been told that if its hot and your aren't sweating then you might have a problem. That's a good time to have a glass of water and maybe something to eat.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

hair falling out is also a sign of your body not getting enough calories. I understand the not really hungry enough to even hit 1200, esp if you are eating a lot of low cal things like fruits and veggies and lean meats. Throwing in small amounts of healthy fats like a tbsp of peanut butter or some avacado or even a piece of full fat cheese can boost those cals a little without filling you up too much
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #13  
Lisa Bean

S/C/G: 231/217/160

Height: 5'8"

Sorry about your fall, take it easy and remember to eat all your calories.
Lisabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #14  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I have to agree that 1200 is not nearly enough for you, espeicall when exercising. I know some people disagree, but I believe in NET calories as well as 1200 being something a 4'9 woman should eat! I am glad you didn't hurt your head when falling (to the point of stitches!).

If you are having trouble eating more than 1200 calories, a handful of almonds can easily be 200-300 calories. Same with some peanut butter. Glad you are okay!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

My roommate passed out in an elevator last fall ... it turned out to be her iron levels too (as two others noted). Definitely get yourself checked out!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote