Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default a carb question...and Back to Basics

Hi all!

Seems like ages since I posted!

I am now 4+ years out of surgery, I have gained some weight back but can still say I have lost and maintained 100+ lbs! The strangest thing has happened though, in the last few months, ANY carb I eat, be it bread of any kind, potato of any kind, and to some extent but not half as bad, fruit and dairy...I get a tummy ache and become a gas making machine!! Thank goodness that my husband loves me!! hehehehe

When I went back to Basics and went very low carbs and high protein, it helped...am I going to have to cut out carbs?

Thanks for listening!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Angela! I've been wondering how you have been.

My immediate thought was if you were experiencing a mild form of Reactive Hypoglycemia, but I don't think those symptoms mesh with RH.

Is it when you eat only carbs or does it also happen when you mesh a carb with protein? Because if it was the latter as well, I would find it really hard to eat only protein/fat.

I'm currently battling the carb demon myself. Such an ugly creature it is.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #3  

Hi Jen!

I have been pretty focused on life, my wonderful family, teaching and creating my art, doing art shows and all that. I have been a busy thing!

That Carb Monster is ugly!! but I haven't cut out all carbs just the ones I mentioned. I still can eat a limited amount of fruit and dairy if I'm careful. RH is an excellent thought! I have dealt with that a lot since surgery, dumping has moved me away from over doing it on simple carbs but now it seems I am getting more and more sensitive to it.

Last edited by missangelaks; 08-09-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #4  

oh my, I ate Cheetos!!! And now my stomach is distended and painful!! I guess that answers that question...at least concerning Cheetos!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #5  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

This might seem a bit nutty but... The things you listed are not just carbs but starchy carbs mostly.

Just an odd thing that I noticed.

Personally I can't eat cheeto's (corn allergy) and I can't do most breads. I have bloat and gas from carbs (cripes and I haven't had WLS yet...) but I did find out years ago that I can substitute things.

Flat breads like tortillas over bread. Vietnamese glass noodles instead of standard pasta (you can get ones made from green beans and these have a lower post-cooking expansion volume. Take like 3 min to cook as well)... Rice isn't one to cause gas either and if you look for it you can find bread made from it.

Just an odd thought or two.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #6  

Thanks for the info cuter! I will look into that and STAY AWAY FROM CHEETOS!! hehehe
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #7  
VSG'er 01/08/13

LOL! OMG I just popped back to see what you posted. Yeah... Cheetos are tasty but oh so bad. I still remember the taste of them.

Actually... Worse... I still crave "corn twists" (those yellow ones) and I haven't had them in 10 years.

And on that note I am going to bed. ;-)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #8  

You're right, and it's strange how in the last few months I have become more sensitive to starchy carbs. I am seriously going to steer clear of them. I had that pain and bloating from the Cheetos last night and after being without the pain for a few days, the experience really put an emphasis on how bad it has gotten! Before I went off of carbs, I lived like that every night!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #9  
VSG'er 01/08/13

Yes and we think it is "normal" and "happens to everyone" and we ignore it because it tastes good.

That was me and corn on the cob.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #10  

I miss corn on the cob some days but it's Russian roulette for me, if a piece gets stuck in the stoma, it's worse then Cheetos!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I get super amounts of gas when I load up on starchy carbs. It is not pleasant for anyone! When I low carb it I can lose a ton of weight very quickly so I try to stay away from breads, crackers etc.

Has anyone read Wheat Belly? I'm interested in that.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #12  
VSG'er 01/08/13

Interestingly Jen there is a thread on that very book on the other board I go on... the Ontario section of the OH site.

I keep seeing the thread pop up and thinking maybe it is worth a read.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #13  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

lol that is me on the OH board!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote