General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Don't Laugh ... has anyone had success with HYPNOSIS?

A friend and I bought a groupon for a weightloss hypnosis session on a whim. I'm going to have it focus on generally more healthy eating habits/preventing binges (which unfortunately I am prone to).

Its bought, so we're doing it. But just curious if anyone has had any success with hypnosis? Don't tease me. :-P
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have not done it but know someone who did, she lost a lot of weight . I haven't seen her for a long time so don't know if she kept it off.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

I had the Smart Mom's hypnosis tapes that I used when I had the last 5 pounds after baby No. 3 (so 2001). I don't know if it worked for me, but I do believe so because I've been hypnotized before at theme parks and stuff, so I'm a good candidate. I do believe it can reinforce positive behavior. MIL also used hypnosis to stop smoking. As long as she listened to her therapist's tape every night it worked, but she didn't have that 15 minutes to spare and started up again. Hope that helps!
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In college and graduate school (behavioral psychology and developmental psychology), I had to study and even practice hypnosis and self-hypnosis (not enough to be certified or anything).

I've seen hypnotherapists, used hypnosis tapes, and used self-hypnosis for weight loss. I didn't experience dramatic effects (and with hypnosis, most people don't.... it's more of a pep-talk, confidence booster than an instant lifestyle transformative tool).

The most important part of hypnotherapy is using it regularly. This is where I always ended up ultiately failing. I would use the tape before bed every night, but I'd always end up slacking off because even though I KNEW better, I half-expected the benefits to be much more dramatic, and it would seem that the effort just wasn't worth the modest results (not that pressing "play" on a listening device is heavy effort).

Hypnosis CAN help, but the effects usually are subtle and are not effortless. Hypnosis rarely works as an overnight mindset adjuster, rather it's more like a gentle persuader.

Self-talk and hypnosis both can help you persuade yourself to change your mindset and behavior, but you still have to put all the work in (plus remember to use the tapes consistently).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

^This. Couldn't have said it better.
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #6  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

Never tried it but I would definitely give it a shot. I'm open to all the less popular treatments...thinking about acupuncture to quit smoking actually haha
It seems that alternative medicine really does have a lot of success as long as you are open to it. Let us know how it goes!
TheVikingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #7  

I have tried it and think it helps. I have tried for exactly what you are using it for and also relaxation hypnosis which is wonderful. You have nothing to lose (except the money you spent, of course) and so much to gain! I am a fan of hypnosis.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #8  
Start of a new life.. :)

S/C/G: 225/225/145

Height: 5'7"

I know several people who have tried Hypnosis to lose weight and they all had great success,

they used it every night as they when to sleep, and every morning did a guided meditation.

I listened to the sessions and I was really blown away by them, there not so much about losing weight as they are about getting in touch with your self and your feelings about weight and food.

They also spoke about the benefits of water.

All of these friends who lost also followed a diet of basic healthy foods and walked but said

the Hypnosis actually made it SO much easier and stress free...

I went out this am and bought 5 different hypnosis tapes and healthy foods, I am going to give it a try and let you all know how it works...

Last edited by Spicylyfe; 12-29-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Spicylyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #9  

I have wanted to look into this to stop the mindless eating after 7PM. I wonder if it would work for that.
Terri S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #10  

A lot of has to do with the mindset you have going into it.

Good luck with it!
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I tried it with a hypnosis center that did it, and I tried it myself with Paul McKenna. I have to say that when I did it at the center it worked. Only because it changed my habits... I would eat something and then say "I should go for a walk and walk this off" which I never ever had said or done before. Things like that....
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 226/226/210

Height: 5' 3"

Not laughing here. I have had a terrible time with mindless eating lately so I thought I'd give hypnosis a try and looked up a free audio session on youtube this morning. I am sure it's probably because I want it to work so much, but I'm not mindlessly snacking today and I do feel much more determined. I think maybe it put me in a better and more determined frame of mind.

I'm going to try it over the next month and see where it takes me because from Nov. 1st until Jan. 1st, I'd only lost 3.8 pounds. I hope the hypnosis will help me increase those numbers somewhat.

I'll weigh in on Feb. 1st and let you know where I stand.

I tried posting the link but I don't have enough posts yet and haven't been here long enough. To find it go to youtube and search "free weight loss self hypnosis session" by "TheInsideOutApproach".

Last edited by Liz46; 01-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Liz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 226/226/210

Height: 5' 3"

Has anyone tried the Tapping Technique that Paul McKenna teaches? It's a type of E.F.T. (Emotional Freedom Technique). I know it sounds ridiculous, but it seems to be working for me.

The Tapping Technique:

1. I want you to get the biggest desire for a food that you can right now. If you don't have a big enough craving, put this technique to one side and come back to it when you're really feeling it.

2. Focus on this craving for a moment, and when you've thought of that I'd like you to rate your desire for that food on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest.

3. On a scale of 1 - 10, how strong is your craving? Remember, if you're not really craving a bite (i.e. your craving is not at least a 7), come back to this technique later.

4. Now take two fingers of either hand and tap about 10 times under your collar bone while you continue to think about eating.

5. Now tap under your eye ten times.

6. Now tap under your collar bone again.

7. Place your other hand in front of you and tap on the back of it between your ring finger and your little finger. Continue to think about your desire for food as you do this and each of the steps which follow.

Close your eyes and open them.
Keeping your head still, keep tapping and look down to the right then down to the left.
Keep tapping and rotate your eyes round 360 degrees clockwise, and now 360 degrees counterclockwise
Remember to keep thinking about the food you were craving as you do this!
Now hum the first few lines of "Happy Birthday" out loud.
Count out loud from 1 to 5.
Once again hum the first few lines of "Happy Birthday" out loud.

8. Stop and check - on a scale from 1 to 10 what number is your craving at now? If it hasn't completely gone yet, just repeat this sequence again until it does.

There is a video on youtube of him displaying how to do this technique, though not in this particular order, if you're interested. It's a little easier to follow watching than trying to read it for the first time and try it. Just search "Paul Mckenna, Tapping Technique" on youtube if you're interested. I'd post it here, but haven't been on the site long enough to add a link yet

Last edited by Liz46; 01-04-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Liz46 is offline   Reply With Quote