Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #1  
Super Squish

S/C/G: 290/254/170

Height: 5'

Default Vitamins? (Some TMI)

I have low Vitamin D so I already take this, and I just started (last night) taking in whey protein after workouts.
I know there are others that take certain vitamins now that they are counting calories and working out.

I'm just stuck. I count calories and eat healthy with occasional treats to prevent me from sliding (yet again). I drink a lot of water because A) it's healthy to do so and B)I'm thirsty and would prefer to rely on water than soda like I used to.

But here's something I've noticed.

My bowel health was JUUUUUST fine prior to calorie counting and working out. Now, I feel like I'm struggling. The idea of taking a stool softener every day for this issue rubs me the wrong way.

Unless people aren't as brazen as I am to discuss this, I don't hear about this issue- but these people take vitamins.

Any suggestions?
ALSO- I'd like to know what vitamins you take and why, and what benefits you've seen take place since beginning your vitamin routine. Thanks.

Last edited by Princess Squish; 07-25-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Princess Squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

Well What I take every morning is: a multivitamin, vitamin C and D, biotin, and a fiber supplement. This has worked for me like a charm and I don't have any issues with no BM
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

My doctor told me that a lot of obese people (especially women) have D insufficiencies and put me on a once a week super-D vitamin for the summer only. I also take DHEA because my free testosterone is low (also probably from being obese) and a multi.

As far as downstairs issues go, I have the same issues when dieting no matter how much fiber I eat or water I drink. Sometimes I'm not sure if I actually am having a problem, or if it's just in my mind because I go less often than expected when dieting.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #4  
Super Squish

Oh I know this isn't in my mind. I struggle every time I go. I almost want to give up. At least I wasn't struggling when I ate like crap. But I don't want to give up.
I know that sometimes too much fiber can stop a person up, but I'm trying to get a good mix of things. And like I said, I drink a lot of water and hardly drink anything else.

My vitamin D deficiency didn't start until I moved to an area where there's not a lot of sunlight or sun exposure, so I'm sure that's all it is on that page.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Have you started taking any other vitamins? Iron can be constipating so if you've recently started a multi with it that could be the culprit.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Can you/will you drink black coffee? Always does the trick for me.

Also, making sure you get enough healthy fat helps in that department.

Sometimes I put a spoonful of coconut oil in my protein, if I'm having a bad day.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #7  
Super Squish

I'm not taking any multi-vitamins. That's part of why I'm asking others about their vitamins and why. I'm trying to get an idea as to what can be helpful for me.
I'm counting calories only. I did this before but don't remember what effects it had outside of weight loss.
I don't have the time to count carbs, fats, calories, this that and the other. I try to eat healthy. Avocados are eaten at least once a week, lots of veggies, some fruits, grains, proteins, etc.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i take a multi vitamin daily, vitamin D occasionally, and sometimes 5htp to help with mental appetite vs actual appetite (long story)

ive noticed with a healthy diet and exercise that i go regularly at a certain time of the day, usually in the morning....HOWEVER if my routine is messed up and i'm not home at that point in the day, my body just kind of refuses to go, sometimes for several days....for example, i've been working early mornings this week instead of afternoons and my bodily functions have been ALL kinds of messed up because of it
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #9  
Super Squish

Never heard of 5htp. Or is there another name for it? (I'll have to Google!)

I totally forgot to answer other question from you ValRock. Sorry!
I love coffee. I have a Keurig but right now it's all packed away because I'll be moving in the next week or so. I can't wait to get moved and unpacked though. lol
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
Have you started taking any other vitamins? Iron can be constipating so if you've recently started a multi with it that could be the culprit.
I take an iron supplement and definitely have this issue... The only thing that helps me is incorporating more fats in my diet.

I also take Vitamin D, Biotin, Potassium, Folic Acid, and a Multi-Vitamin - vd, fa, and i are all prescribed, p is for muscle cramping, mv because I know I'm not getting enough of the basic vitamins in my diet, and b because I like to think it helps my body metabolize fats (I don't know if it actually does ) - although my nails have been growing faster!

Sorry, I don't really have a solution for you because I kinda have the same issue...
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I take a multivitamin, fish oil, magnesium (great for moving the bowels, btw, and helping muscles recuperate from exercise), vitamin d, and probiotics, which are the good bacteria found in foods like yogurt (SUPER important for bowel health and general immune function). I'd definitely recommend the probiotics. I take one called Vitacost probiotic 15-35 Billion. Sorry, I'd link to it, but I don't have enough posts apparently.
sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #12  
Super Squish

Thanks all for your input. I'll bookmark this thread for when I have more money. I already have D3 and I got cod oil today (helps with immunity- I get sick a lot it seems) and I got the B12. I also got a multivitamin that both myself and my son can have. (His eating habits are hard to explain, but he could benefit getting vitamins too.)
I'll see how I feel and may add the magnesium later. I read that hot peppers help move the bowels and since I LOVE peperoncinnis, I had some. Well, let's just say it worked. So I'll eat 3 every couple of days. They're low in calories and so good anyway. I honestly feel really good today and hope that the added vitamins will help me feel even better.