General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #1  
Gonna do it!

S/C/G: 186/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Question 3 Day "Miracle" Diet

I recently read an article concerning this "underground" diet where you diet only 3 days a week. It gives you a few "diets" to follow those 3 days (but you can alter them with equal calorie items from the same food group) that average 960 calories a day. The other 4 days you just eat sensibly. Apparently it is supposed to trick your metabolism into burning calories on the diet days the same as it would when you are eating more...

I am trying it for the next couple weeks, but wondering if anyone else has heard of it before or used it before.

If you want details on it, I can put in a more detailed post with the diet menus it had in the article. Just ask.

Courtney

Last edited by FatMommaCat; 04-03-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:41 PM   #2  

Hi Courtney,

I'd like you to post more details about this diet. It sounds interesting.

Kathy
Old 04-03-2003, 10:07 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Exclamation It's the word "MIRACLE" that bothers me...

Over the years, I have learned NOT to trust diet plans that promise "MIRACLES" or "FAST EASY WEIGHT LOSS". The thing is, there ain't no such thing - or at least not one that you can stay on for the rest of your life which is really what counts - healthy lifestyle changes that you can happily maintain for a lifetime.

Just from its title and the fact that the calories are SO LOW - TOO low - you will end up burning muscle instead of fat since you're effectively putting your body on 'starvation mode' with such low carlories - I'd lump this (without actually seeing this particular diet mind you) in the same category as "The Cabbage Soup Diet"...

Reminds me of something I read in Fumento's The Fat of The Land
Quote:
The ultimate quack weight-loss device is the diet book. For those of you who aspire to write a weight-loss best-seller, here's the formula:

* Be fat.
* Lose weight.
* Pretend that having lost the fat you are now an expert in the area.
* Come up with a gimmick that distinguishes your book slightly from previous diet books.
* Intersperse a bunch of ancedotes from formerly fat people cured by your formula. Slap a slew of recipes or a fat counter guide onto the back so your 15,000-word article now has the heft of at least a 75,000-word book.
* Keep the weight off long enough for the book tour and the appearances on the "Good Morning America" and "Today" shows.
* And - most important - don't forget to offer your readers something for nothing.

...Books promising the equivalent of divine intervention are nothing new. Martin Schiff, M.D., had one such book back in 1974 with "Dr. Schiff's Miracle Weight-Loss Guide". Now we have Adele Puhn's 1996 bestseller, "The Five-Day Miracle Diet". Interstingly, just before Puhn's book came out, another one appeared called "The Miracle Diet: Fourteen Days to New Vigor and Health". It went nowhere. After all, who wants to wait an extra 9 days for a miracle? (It's too late now, but I should have immediately published a book called "The 4-Day Miracle Diet" and taken away all Puhn's business.)...

..."Miracle" weight-loss books are virtually devoid of endorsements by experts in the weight-loss field...

People with good medical reputations do not risk them by endorsing dumb books, but dumb books with good sales pitches will outsell smart books with good endorsements every day of the week.

I want this chapter to serve as an inoculation of sorts against diet quacks and especially the book industry. I want to vaccinate you against hype so that never again will you get that urge to spend good money and high hopes on parasites who feed off your dreams.
Gotta love that last paragraph...
Old 04-03-2003, 10:09 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just want to add something here about zig-zagging calories. It can be effective as a way to lose weight...but under 1200 calories is WAY too low - at the very least you are setting yourself up for a MAJOR binge!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #5  

Today is the first day of my 3 day diet. It doesn't seem too bad to follow. I gave up on the Fat Flush thing. Too much meal preparation - this is much easier for people without a minute to spare. Let you know on Friday when I weigh in how I made out.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:41 PM   #6  

Hi about 10 years ago I did this diet I didn't have any success. What I lost I soon gained back I was in the Drug store the other day and saw the pills that go with the diet. Good Luck to you, alsea
Old 04-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #7  

All you end up losing is water weight. Then you can gain it all back 3 fold. I tried the so called "miracle" diet and i felt like I was starving myself.
Closed Thread