General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default I'm having more signs pop up of being Hypoglacimic

And I'm really frustrated about it. I hit a low yesterday afternoon when driving home from taking care of my horse. I had worked in the morning until 2pm, I had snacked on veggie chips and almonds throughout the day at work and I was feeling fine. Afterwards I drove to the barn to take care of my horse, it was a hot day but I was feeling fine and had normal energy level, I was there for about an hour, then I went to get gas in my car, and this was about 3:30pm. When I'm about half way home 15 minutes later my body started to shut down on me. It came at me out of no where as I was feeling perfectly fine, not hungry or anything and then it just seriously hit me full force. It felt like everything inside me started to shut down on me, and my eyes were constantly trying to close like it was trying to make me pass out, but I kept fighting my body to stay awake as I only had another 15 minutes until I was home, then I'd eat something. Once I got home I ate some peanut butter crackers and string cheese and after about 10 minutes I was starting to feel better. And on top of that the past few days I've been having really puffy eyes and my vision has been kind of blurry, and makes it especially hard to stare at a computer screen.

I just don't understand why this is happening, I've posted earlier about what happened last week, and I've changed my diet around a bit and really started to keep an eye on sugar intake and upping fiber, but it hasn't even been a week later and here I am yet again having problems. I'm going on vacation for 8 days starting tomorrow and won't be able to make a doctors appointment until after I get back. My biggest fear right now is my body shutting down on my while driving again. We're bringing snack's with us in the car but if that doesn't help I can only hope theirs a restaurant nearby.

Sorry for the long post, but I just hate how my body is going through this right now and it's a huge downer dealing with the symptoms
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179.5/161.5/135

Height: 5 ft 4 in

If these episodes have been happening - make sure it is a low blood sugar (do you test your blood sugar?)...and always have something that will fix it... (small juice, 6 lifesavers, packet of honey, or sugar mixed with water, or glucose tablets). A quick fix is very important and than some carb with protein afterward to keep the blood sugar up...

Driving and a low blood sugar is extremely dangerous.

You mentioned it was very hot... are you sure it was a low blood sugar and not dehydration?
Luba123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

@ Luba- I don't have any sort of blood sugar level tester or anything like that as I've never had the need to in the past. And as far has dehydration I would say it could have been a possible, but I had already experienced these symptoms earlier in the week while when I was out shopping and the store had the AC going. The same thing happened then and I had to sit down, and it had been only two hours since I had last eaten. But yesterday the same thing, happened while driving. I don't know what to do when these episodes pop up because they are so random when they hit, and come when I least except it, like while driving, and showing no signs that it's going to happen is what scares me the most. I'll be sure to get some of the foods/drinks you have listed to take with me on the trip, just in case this happens again, which I really hope I'm not behind the wheel when it does.
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

What are you eating now, in a typical day, and at what intervals?
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Yes, more diet information might help. And honestly your symptoms sound more typical or a diabetic than just hypoglycemia. You shouldn't be floored hat fast or hard if your body is properly regulating itself.

So what are you eating and when?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Yes, more diet information might help. And honestly your symptoms sound more typical or a diabetic than just hypoglycemia. You shouldn't be floored hat fast or hard if your body is properly regulating itself.

So what are you eating and when?
Yeah this... and why/where are you getting extra fiber?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 179.5/161.5/135

Height: 5 ft 4 in

If you are driving and it is a low blood sugar... pull over to the side of the road and treat with something sweet. If it is a hypoglycemic event - after treating you should hopefully be feeling better after 15 - 20 minutes after treating.

Again, as the others have stated...it would be really helpful to review what you have been eating... as to the possible cause of these events...

If it isn't due to nutrition, are you possibly pregnant (you never know...). If they continue it would be really important to see a doctor for tests. Low blood pressure??? ....

Hope you feel better and these episodes stop.
Luba123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #8  
jbabs

S/C/G: 194.5/ticker/154

Height: 5ft9

Check your iron levels too, if they drop too low you can feel really faint and spaced out. I remember taking those attacks when driving. I suggest you go see an emergency doc next time you feel that way if you can (dont really understand your health system). Does you diet cut anything out?
janeybabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #9  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I really do suggest you get some glucose tabs from the pharmacy or any place that sell diabetic supplies like walmart or a grocery store. they are fast acting measured carbohydrates and are only like $1 a tube. But honestly, it's gonna be hard to know it's your blood sugar without a glucometer (blood sugar tester) and you can pick them up pretty cheaply now, some store brands for $10. The strips tend to get pricey but if you can verify it's your blood sugar is dropping, you can have your doc write a prescription for them and your insurance will cover them. Again, store brands tend to be cheaper. Sometimes, hypoglycemia can be a sign of developing diabetes, sometimes not. Testing is really no big deal. I just got new strips for my machine yesterday as I have started having symptoms after starting a new medication. I won't know if it was an isolated incident until I monitor and I won't have feed back for my doc, until I test over a few days. I know she's gonna ask if I say I am feeling off, so might as well. Testing is like nothing to me now, just something I do to make sure I haven't become diabetic since I am so prone to wonky sugars.

Some things do carry similar symptoms: low blood pressure, anemia, thyroid issues, low sodium, on and on. You really won't know for sure until you check these things.

If you feel like you are in dire straights, you should be able to stop by a fire station and the EMTs can check you blood pressure and sometimes can even check you blood glucose, not to mention, get you help. Good Luck!
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #10  
I can do anything!

If the cheese helped... I think you're dealing with someone other than hypoglycemia. Glucose would likely make it worse.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I agree with those that mentioned it may be your iron levels.

I've been on iron supplements for the last few months because I had similar issues and my blood tests came back showing my iron was very low.

Until you get in to see your doctor I would recommened picking up a good multi vitamin (check to make sure it actually contains iron - you can also talk to your pharmacist about this and they might be able to recommened something) - also, vitamin C will help your body absorb the iron, so make sure you pick up some of that too.

As for foods, if you can pack some red meat (beef jerky for the car is normally easier), maybe a spinach salad with either turkey or some beans and some dried fruit (raisins), iron fortified cereals, etc. - those sort of things will help keep your iron levels up.

Last edited by EricAnn; 07-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #12  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

SO are you going to see your doc? If you know that you have hypoglycemic episodes from the past and are either having more or something else going on, you're going to the doc, right?
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Hey I am hypoglycemic and have an iron deficiency. My only piece of advice is talk to your doctor. This is the person who will tell you what you need to do. I used to have a lot of problems when I was first diagnosed because I would shut down during exercise (which became a "convenient" reason for me to whine ) and I would even shut down when under a lot of stress.

My doctor gave me the advice needed for my body and I don't have attacks anymore unless I am going through a very difficult situation. Mind you, I still have a piece of caramel in my purse in the case of emergency but follwing my doctor's order I did not have an attack for a whole year and a half now.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote