Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #1  
On IP Since 5/25/12

S/C/G: 174/156/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Doing IP without a coach

I get so much support from reading posts here, and I wanted to get some advice from this group. Your long term success tells me you are the right people to ask.

I'm thinking of ending my relationship with my diet coach - she's not very helpful and doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable of the protocol as I need. I am thinking of going at it on my own - following the diet and using alternative products.

Has anyone done the same thing? It seems like I could save $500+ per month by doing that.
shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaid View Post
I get so much support from reading posts here, and I wanted to get some advice from this group. Your long term success tells me you are the right people to ask.

I'm thinking of ending my relationship with my diet coach - she's not very helpful and doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable of the protocol as I need. I am thinking of going at it on my own - following the diet and using alternative products.

Has anyone done the same thing? It seems like I could save $500+ per month by doing that.
I have done that. I must admit it was a bit easier for me to stray without the accontability of weighing in with a coach. However, I have fixed that and now my husband does my weigh in for me. I have enjoyed the alternative foods and have had good results with them. I compare protein and carbs when ordering my products and try to find items that have the same counts as my IP favorites. My food costs are now just shy of 1/3 of what they were before.

I just couldn't continue paying $$ to a coach that didn't provide any coaching. I did report my bad coaching experience to IP and would suggest you do the same. They can't fix problems which they know nothing about. Good luck to you!
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #3  
Started IP 09/05/12

S/C/G: 203/160/160

Height: 5'7"

You guys pay extra money for your coach? I thought the coaching came with the product everywhere... that's not cool
Kikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikie View Post
You guys pay extra money for your coach? I thought the coaching came with the product everywhere... that's not cool
I didn't pay extra for the coach, but when I discovered there were alternative products that would be comprable to IP at a much lower cost, I couldn't see continuing to pay someone for just selling me food and not providing any coaching. I would go in to the office, weigh in and then told to pick out my food. When I had questions they either didn't know the answer and didn't offer to find one for me or would make a joke of it.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #5  
Started IP 5/16/2016

S/C/G: 220/220/165

Height: 5'6

I quit my coach about a week and a half ago and, with the help of this absolutely fantastic board, am doing fine. Almost every single day, I get sooooo much more info on here than I did w/the coach at my clinic.

I think the vast majority of coaches out there, from what I can tell are FABULOUS. But mine didn't fall into this category.

In these tough economic times, even though I need badly to lose weight and become healthier, it doesn't justify me paying for the program for a coach that isn't helping me one iota.

Quote:

marlenesuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #6  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

If you are not getting a good coaching experience I would definitely be ending the relationship. You can still get IP products from shopforprotein.com or go with alternatives, and there is so much knowledge and support here for you!
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #7  
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

S/C/G: 149/146/115

Height: 5'3

I don't have a coach, and I've been fine. Any question I have, I ask in here.
paulimapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMolly View Post
I didn't pay extra for the coach, but when I discovered there were alternative products that would be comprable to IP at a much lower cost, I couldn't see continuing to pay someone for just selling me food and not providing any coaching. I would go in to the office, weigh in and then told to pick out my food. When I had questions they either didn't know the answer and didn't offer to find one for me or would make a joke of it.
Sounds exactly like my coach!
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #9  
Started IP 2/28/2012

S/C/G: 235-45%/192/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
If you are not getting a good coaching experience I would definitely be ending the relationship. You can still get IP products from shopforprotein.com or go with alternatives, and there is so much knowledge and support here for you!
I havent been on here in a while, and i just had to say Liz you look effing amazing! You go boo! Good job! Makes me wish i didnt take that month and a half off! But now i have to stay on P3/P4 till the dr.s can figure out what's up! But you look fab!
mlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #10  
Just watch me ...

Quote:

How much are these people getting paid for this IP program ? What in the world kind of coaching are they providing for $500 a month? For that money, you can probably see all sorts of professionally - trained therapists/rehab people/physicians out of pocket.

Definitely, look elsewhere. If you eat well and exercise, your body will change...
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #11  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas View Post
I havent been on here in a while, and i just had to say Liz you look effing amazing! You go boo! Good job! Makes me wish i didnt take that month and a half off! But now i have to stay on P3/P4 till the dr.s can figure out what's up! But you look fab!
Thanks mlucas! It seems like these last few weeks have REALLY seen a rapid size dropoff. It took me 30+lb to get out of the 16s and this week a 4-5lb whoosh took me from a 4 to a 2! My goal pants when i started were a size 12, and thought i would be lucky to make it to 185lb...now i have size ONE goal jeans (which actually fit, just a little snug). I am on vacation right now, missing WI#20 tomorrow, so i am sticking with P1 until next WI#21, but according to home scale i have made goal (said 142.6 before we left, usually ~3lb lower than official coach scale).

Fyi, exchanged my old size 2 goal jeans, as those fit, for the size 1s. i did try on size 0, but those wouldnt fit over my hip bones...so i think thats my physical clothing limit.

I did an Old Navy clearance rack shopping spree and got my size ONE goal pants, size 2 shorts, S&XS dresses, Small bathing suit, XS capris, and S/XS tops. I have completely shrunk out of my closet as this is the smallest i have been, probably since 5th- 6th grade.

Last edited by LizRR; 07-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #12  
On IP Since 5/25/12

S/C/G: 174/156/130

Height: 5'4"

Really, the $500 is what I estimated I could save by using alternative IP food, vitamins and supplements. I'm going to go at it alone, I've decided.

I did find out, however, that I have to come back for four weeks of BCA readings or else I am prohibited from doing the program in the future. I'm going to go ahead and do that. I guess the upside is that I can stock up on a few boxes of IP food.

Thanks, everyone, for your support.
shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #13  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

I am sorry there are so many bad coaches. I dealt with one who demoralized me. She kept accusing me of cheating because she felt EVERYONE should lose at least 3 or more pounds a week, regardless. I left after 3 months. That was 3 months ago. I have been on alternatives and love the $$ savings and especially the variety. You do lose the convenience of not having to check ingredients and nutritional values like you don't have to worry about with IP products. There are a couple alternative threads on here that have lots of information and experiences of those of us doing it alone. My losses have really stayed the same 36 pounds before I left and now another 32 (with two separate zero loss weeks).

Go for it. There's lots of us who are more than willing to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas View Post
Wow, what a coincidence. I was just driving home from town and thought about you and that I hadn't seen you on the forum lately and I come home and start reading and there you are. So glad you're still around. Good luck with getting things straightened out. Just hang in there. I'll bet they find something soon.

Molly
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Really, the $500 is what I estimated I could save by using alternative IP food, vitamins and supplements. I'm going to go at it alone, I've decided.

I did find out, however, that I have to come back for four weeks of BCA readings or else I am prohibited from doing the program in the future. I'm going to go ahead and do that. I guess the upside is that I can stock up on a few boxes of IP food.

Thanks, everyone, for your support.
"Prohibited from doing the program in the future"? I wouldn't worry about that, plus you can buy a scale that does body composition analysis from Amazon for less than $70. I did. I also don't have a coach and find this forum amazing. So much expertise, far superior to the IP coach I did have at one time.
Scale I bought:
Omron HBF-514C Full Body Composition Sensing Monitor and Scale
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #15  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

The clinic I go to has great people and they are obviously expanding quickly. The last month or more I've had a different coach each time and it's not really working for me. I can weigh myself and just go in to buy products every few weeks. I know how the equipment works better that a few of the coaches. They are all super nice but it's also not very personable, I'm not building any kind of relationship with them and don't feel like talking to them much. My clinic is also an hour drive from home so. I think I'm at a crossroads here.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote