Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Stress fracture on foot = no walking - GRRR

Walking has been the main way I am burning calories and losing weight. My foot has hurt for over a month - they thought it was just a bone spur but now they say stress fracture - which means NO walking on my feet for almost 2 months!! GRRRRR - Yes, I'm going to stay moving - getting in the pool and kicking my feet, etc. And just sitting in a chair and raising my arms up and down. But I will miss the treadmill! I hate that I can't truly calculate how many calories i burn in the water. There are a few websites out there - but I don't know how accurate they are. I'm not a swimmer - so I just tread water, or hold onto the side and kick my legs or stand still and jog in place, or walk back and forth - basically I just move and stay moving when I'm in the water - but I have no idea how many calories that is burning. SIGH SIGH SIGH. Right now the stress fracture has not greatly affected my weight loss - I think I should have lost maybe 2 more pounds by now - but I've been having this pity party for the last week. I will step it up a notch and get back to my 2 pound loss per week - just venting - so sorry.
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #2  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Hey Chickadee there is a way to calculate calories burned in the water. I have a heart rate monitor/calorie counter that I wear in the water and have had no problems with it. When I was researching which one I wanted to get, I learned that there are some out there that are not water resistant so you have to make sure that you get the right one. I use a Polar monitor and it seems to be fairly accurate.
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvsfan99 View Post
Hey Chickadee there is a way to calculate calories burned in the water. I have a heart rate monitor/calorie counter that I wear in the water and have had no problems with it. When I was researching which one I wanted to get, I learned that there are some out there that are not water resistant so you have to make sure that you get the right one. I use a Polar monitor and it seems to be fairly accurate.

Ooooooh thanks for the tip!!!
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #4  
Jigglypuff

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

I am right with ya on this one! I stupidly broke my toe the other day and it has kept me off of most machines at the gym. The bike is still good for me, but things like the treadmill and elliptical are just not happening for me.
Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/265/199

Height: 5'5"

Oh, I feel your pain!!!

I've been sidelined with PF for the last two months. Finally got cleared for the elliptical (which hurts), and the bike is my backup. Don't have access to a pool.

*Major, major*kudos to you for keeping it up even without being able to hit the road! It's such a weirdly difficult injury and makes all the simple, every-day things much harder than they need to be!
KTG1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6  
Workin for a New ankle

S/C/G: 256.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I shattered my ankle in a car accident in 2003 and have been waiting to get a replacement ever since... I have no cartilage in there so I use a Cain and can't walk much at all so I feel ya. Getting a new ankle is my motivation to loose, I should qualify once I lose the weight, but being in pain makes it hard to exercise grrrr.
Puffyamiyumifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #7  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I feel for you (I have foot issues too). Just do what you can. Maybe check out the book "Get fit while you sit". I hope your foot get better soon!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote