Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/264/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Fitness

Hi Everyone,

I know your suppose to wait on working out . I'm on my 11th week and have lost 43lbs.... I have not worked out at all but I am really hating my arms...ni want to tighten them up a bit... What is your take on this? Would it be ok if I did some light weight lifting for my arms?
Lopes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Of course. You can't "spot reduce" but you can "spot train". In other words, you can't lose any fat in a single area by working that one area, but you CAN increase muscle definition by working that one area.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/223.3/150

Height: 5'4

I started working out right away. It's the best motivation for me to eat right. If I kick my butt at the gym I'm less likely to eat something awful that will destroy all my hard work. Also, after a few weeks of steady workout I notice that I sleep better and have more energy, I feel more fit. I have friends that weigh 30lbs less than I do but look the same size and I think its because they don't exercise or have any muscle tone. The most important thing is to do what works best for you. I also feel like it's hard to lose weight in my arms

corinthian314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #4  
Started IP 6-5-12

S/C/G: 280/257/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopes89 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I know your suppose to wait on working out . I'm on my 11th week and have lost 43lbs.... I have not worked out at all but I am really hating my arms...ni want to tighten them up a bit... What is your take on this? Would it be ok if I did some light weight lifting for my arms?
I've been using hand weights 8 and 10# with my coach's blessing, also walking 30 minutes a few times a week. She said just don't get your heart rate up. I can see a difference in my arms. Today I bought a kettlebell and will start using that 2x a week. The kettlebell will probably get my heart rate up, but I'll see how it goes this week and talk about it with her next Saturday . . . if I remember. There's a good chance I'll forget.
softkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #5  
Started IP 6/9/12

S/C/G: 165/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I just started my 5th week today. I started with really brisk 30 minute walks during week 4 and had great results. Now I'm doing 30 minute cardio+strength training sessions 3-4 times a week. I'm a lot more motivated now that I've started working out-- and I have a ton more energy.

GL with finding what works for you!
efwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/230/160

I have been wondering about the working out myself. It seems like eating well and working out just go together. I had worked out my first week of IP and after my first WI (-5.8 lbs) I lost 10% muscle and gained 3% fat...The coach chalked it up to the first week and said to maybe cool it on working out

I missed my next week WI because I was out of town, so this Tuesday I am going in for my next WI and hoping I have not only lost more weight, but that I'm not losing muscle. I miss working out and can't imagine not working out during the first phase, which will probably be until the end of the year.
yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/230/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by softkitty View Post
I've been using hand weights 8 and 10# with my coach's blessing, also walking 30 minutes a few times a week. She said just don't get your heart rate up. I can see a difference in my arms. Today I bought a kettlebell and will start using that 2x a week. The kettlebell will probably get my heart rate up, but I'll see how it goes this week and talk about it with her next Saturday . . . if I remember. There's a good chance I'll forget.
Yes, let me know how it goes - Kettlebells rock, I want to get back to mine
yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #8  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

My coach advised me to not workout the first 2-3 weeks as your body gets adjusted and sets up the 'enzymatic machinery' for efficient ketosis. Apparently, at the beginning your body isn't very good at (hence the bad breath/pee smell/metal mouth/etc - which goes away as you adjust). Because you aren't very efficient at the beginning to make ketones - which are then turned to glucose (since you aren't eating sugar anymore for that quick glucose - and your body still runs off it) - if you use up your glucose reserves created by your ketosis, your body will turn to muscle burning for that quick energy.

This is why low intensity exercise is recommended, for that low slow burn that ensures your body can keep up with turning fat -> ketones -> glucose as fast as your body needs it. Walking, yoga, pilates, weightlifting, etc. Also, coaches recommend you add an extra packet if you workout for this same reason. Remember, this is a VERY low calorie diet, so adjustments need to be made for exercise. IP 'as is' is designed to give you enough protein to maintain, it's not necessarily "high protein" it's "just right protein", so please make sure to log your food & activity and talk with your coach about this because you will need an extra packet if you are exercising more intensely. High intensity exercise can stall your weight loss on IP (spinning, running, etc).

After 11 weeks you should be plenty well off to start exercise IMHO, just start out low & slow and don't get your heartrate too high and then work up from there, listen to your body.

I've actually been walking ~2-2.5mi ~4-6x/week since Day 1 of IP, but it was 'non-negotiable' as it was me taking my son to the park. I did it at a VERY slow pace, didn't break a sweat, had a 45minute play break in the middle, and timed my snack to be right before we left so I had the calories to go. I did not need to add in a 4th packet then, I also hadn't done restricteds then either. The past few weeks that has been cut down since it's too hot and we go to the mall play area now.

I had been doing a weightlifting class up until IP that I quit cold turkey and started back up on Week 8 going 2x/week (my coach encouraged me at Week 4 to pick it back up but I was hesitant). I started out at a MUCH lighter weight than before and HAD to add in a 4th packet, and it was restricted. I am STARVING on weightlifting days. I time it so I have a restricted before and a packet w/2-egg whites + veggies or my protein+veggie meal after. I just recently moved to 3x/week and increased my weights and have seen some great improvements in my lean mass. But you do need to give your body time to adjust to this new way of getting energy.

Last edited by LizRR; 07-07-2012 at 03:21 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/264/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
My coach advised me to not workout the first 2-3 weeks as your body gets adjusted and sets up the 'enzymatic machinery' for efficient ketosis. Apparently, at the beginning your body isn't very good at (hence the bad breath/pee smell/metal mouth/etc - which goes away as you adjust). Because you aren't very efficient at the beginning to make ketones - which are then turned to glucose (since you aren't eating sugar anymore for that quick glucose - and your body still runs off it) - if you use up your glucose reserves created by your ketosis, your body will turn to muscle burning for that quick energy.

This is why low intensity exercise is recommended, for that low slow burn that ensures your body can keep up with turning fat -> ketones -> glucose as fast as your body needs it. Walking, yoga, pilates, weightlifting, etc. Also, coaches recommend you add an extra packet if you workout for this same reason. Remember, this is a VERY low calorie diet, so adjustments need to be made for exercise. IP 'as is' is designed to give you enough protein to maintain, it's not necessarily "high protein" it's "just right protein", so please make sure to log your food & activity and talk with your coach about this because you will need an extra packet if you are exercising more intensely. High intensity exercise can stall your weight loss on IP (spinning, running, etc).

After 11 weeks you should be plenty well off to start exercise IMHO, just start out low & slow and don't get your heartrate too high and then work up from there, listen to your body.

I've actually been walking ~2-2.5mi ~4-6x/week since Day 1 of IP, but it was 'non-negotiable' as it was me taking my son to the park. I did it at a VERY slow pace, didn't break a sweat, had a 45minute play break in the middle, and timed my snack to be right before we left so I had the calories to go. I did not need to add in a 4th packet then, I also hadn't done restricteds then either. The past few weeks that has been cut down since it's too hot and we go to the mall play area now.

I had been doing a weightlifting class up until IP that I quit cold turkey and started back up on Week 8 going 2x/week (my coach encouraged me at Week 4 to pick it back up but I was hesitant). I started out at a MUCH lighter weight than before and HAD to add in a 4th packet, and it was restricted. I am STARVING on weightlifting days. I time it so I have a restricted before and a packet w/2-egg whites + veggies or my protein+veggie meal after. I just recently moved to 3x/week and increased my weights and have seen some great improvements in my lean mass. But you do need to give your body time to adjust to this new way of getting energy.

A lot of information!! THANK YOU!
Lopes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #10  

I went to the gym today but only walked on the treadmill at a fairly slow pace, it felt good to just be moving, and it was way too hot to walk outside!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote