Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/196/160

Height: 5'8''

Default Stomach! Warning: neurotic statements inside.

Hi all, just wanted to throw something out there that I've been feeling neurotic about - maybe someone can relate!

I've seen many pictures of people around my weight and higher, and their stomachs seem to protrude outward rather than downward. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? But my stomach basically looks how most people's do AFTER they lose a significant amount of weight. The skin looks loose and "droopy." I am in my early 20s and have never been pregnant. Also I gain weight very proportionally - I even measured myself for the first time yesterday and I have a classic "hourglass" shape even at this weight - so it's not like all my weight is in my stomach. Is this just the damage from being overweight for many years? When I weighed about 30 pounds less than I do know a few years ago, I still had a significant "droop" - or so I thought I did. Is cosmetic surgery going to be my only option?

Thanks for reading and let me know if I'm alone in this or not!
uselessknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It's just how your fat likes to collect. Only time will tell.

I had significant loose skin after dropping the first 90 lbs, or so. After over a year maintaining that loss, it's improved dramatically.

Give your body time!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #3  

Gah, thank you! That makes me feel better. Sort of getting ahead of myself, I think as I still have a lot to lose.

By the way, I know you're super active on here and you must hear it all the time, but you look amazing! Very inspiring.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

My biggest stomach roll has always been pretty droopy too (although it sticks out as well as down). It's just natural sagging, I think, as there's nothing to support it there. 50+lbs down, it's still drooping, but comparing photos I can see it's not nearly so bad as it was. So don't despair! Yours will shrink too.

As Val says, it's just what fat does. Different people's bodies store fat in different ways. As for cosmetic surgery, I'd wait a while if I were you - you're still a fair way off target, and your body may change a lot by the time you get there. And even once you're there, you may have some skin-shrinking time to wait through too. It'll be worth it in the end though.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hi, I have the exact same problem as you! Same age, never been pregnant, and yet my stomach droops. I don't know of anything you can do to actually help the problem, but to help yourself feel better about it I recommend taking 'before' shots from the side, then after you've lost a certain amount of weight (say, 10lbs) take another - It helped me notice that it is actually shrinking with me, and hope that it will continue to shrink! You're not alone out there lol!
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

There are two layers of fat that collects in your stomach; one is above your abdominal muscles and one is below your abdominal muscles. You are like me and your stomach fat collects mostly above(or shall I say in front of) the abs which makes the stomach look very mushy and droopy.

When you see overweight people who's stomachs protrude outward it is because the fat is mostly underneath the ab muscles so it sort of works like a girdle and that's why their stomachs do not droop that way.

On the positive side of it(well positive for you), collecting fat under the abdominal muscles is linked to higher rates of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. And also, from my understanding, you can't actually liposuction fat that collects there if you ever considered that an option. So consider yourself lucky!
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Luckyme hit it right on the head - there are different types of fat, as well as different storage tendencies depending on the individual's body, and there are more risks associated with that tight, firm appearing fat than droopy subcutaneous fat.

And it does get better with maintenance. Shockingly better, in some cases.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #8  

Thank you! I had heard something to that effect before but had forgotten that it actually affects appearance as well. Very glad to hear about a less likely correlation to cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. I remember that when I was on a medication that I had to inject subcutaneously, the nurse mentioned that my kind of abdominal fat was perfect for it. :/ compliment? haha