Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

Default Does it matter where calories come from?

What is the difference between getting 105 calories from a banana vs 105 calories from half a chocolate bar?
I don't even like chocolate that much, I am just using this as an example.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

For me, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference with my weight loss, but if I eat a chocolate bar, I'll be hungry faster than if I eat a banana.

If I ate my calories in junk, I'd be eating almost no food, and I'd be uncomfortably hungry all day.

Some others find that it does make a difference with their weight loss, so they keep an eye on macro nutrients too.

Last edited by Munchy; 06-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Munchy that calories are calories but that make up of those calories will determine how full you are, how soon you'll be hungry again etc.

Also, the way your body processes those calories differs.

This is an interesting article I found explaining the differences.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

For me? Naked banana? Naked candy? Both will cause blood sugar spike and then I'll be looking for MORE food.

I'm better off going with peanut butter banana sandwich. A bit more substantial, protein/fat to balance out the carbs.

Or a few squares of dark chocolate rather than a milk chocolate bar. (more choc taste, less sugar)

Then I'm not jonesing on the blood sugar roller coaster scarfin' up more than what I intended and possibly overdoing it. So yes, to me it would matter.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-20-2012 at 09:56 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #5  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

To me, it doesn't matter much, but every body is different.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Depends on what your goal is? Just lose weight? or give your body the fuel it needs to propel you into good health and fitness. For me, a banana is healthier for my body and will help me recover from a run. A candy bar will just leave me craving more sugar and have spikes in my energy.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

i think a banana would leave me a little more satisfied than a chocolate bar, but both would probably make me still want to eat/snack more because of the sugar.

something that is 105 calories but filled with protein is going to leave you more satisfied than something that is 105 calories worth of carbs / sugar.
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/177/140

Height: 5'6"

For me, I'd rather have a spoonful of peanutbutter or two slabs of bacon than either a banana or candy bar because the sugar would send me crashing. But a banana would be more worthwhile nutritionally between the candy and the fruit, and I'd rather get my vitamins and minerals than just emptiness.
Alegria25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

There is more to food than calories - there are nutrients.

Unfortunately, your examples weren't the best - bananas are mostly simple sugars and would leave me equally hungry eating a chocolate or a banana, but I at least get 'some' nutrients from a banana.

But if during the day I ate 3 slices of cake for 1500 calories or a protein bar, an apple with 3 tbsp of peanut butter, 2 cheese sticks, a big green salad with olive oil, avocado and some veggies and a grilled chicken breast, and for a snack a quarter cup of almonds/nuts for 1500 (and that might even be less than 1500). Which day do you think I'll feel hungry? The day with three slices of cake? or the day with all that other food? And then, which day will I get lots of vitamins and minerals, protein, etc?

Having a day or two with crap foods or a meal here and there with empty calories isn't going to hurt you much and it will happen. BUT... do it too much and you'll feel sluggish, jittery, tired and hungry. Eating a well-balanced day of meals will leave you feeling satiated and with energy as you are truly feeding your body.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 06-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Speaking as a whole (not just banana vs. chocolate, since that was just an example of "healthy" food vs. "junk" food)...

As far as pure weight loss goes (cals in/cals out), no it doesn't matter.

As far as health, hunger control, cravings, feeling good, feeling full, getting nutrients, and so on, yes it does matter.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I feel it does if I eat better I can eat more during the day incase I get a craving I can eat some fruit for the sweet craving. Occasionally I will partake in other non healthy food but I'm finding it leaving me not satisfied
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #12  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Speaking as a whole (not just banana vs. chocolate, since that was just an example of "healthy" food vs. "junk" food)...

As far as pure weight loss goes (cals in/cals out), no it doesn't matter.

As far as health, hunger control, cravings, feeling good, feeling full, getting nutrients, and so on, yes it does matter.
Exactly! And, I'm not a big fan of sending my blood sugar on a roller coaster. It's just not worth the 3 minutes of food buzz to deal with the crash and cravings it causes. I find that when I get enough fat and protein, I feel a LOT better. If I eat too many refined carbs or processed foods, I feel the opposite.

Last edited by ValRock; 06-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

To me it doesn't matter much. On Wednesdays (my semi-treat day) I typically have a carb-only breakfast and lunch: banana and melted Nutella for breakfast and a huge bowl of stove-popped popcorn for lunch. It doesn't seem to affect my hunger, cravings, energy, or ability to lose/maintain weight. However, many other people claim that carbs trigger cravings and wild energy swings.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 06-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #14  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

The Twinkie professor proved that it's more about calories in and calories out when it comes to weight loss. What it means to me is I can enjoy treats without guilt if I compensate for it in my daily calories. The treats have to be kept to a minimum, however, because I find that I feel better with fewer carbs in my diet.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #15  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
I agree with Munchy that calories are calories but that make up of those calories will determine how full you are, how soon you'll be hungry again etc.
This - I spoke to my nutritionist as to why I was still pretty hungry shortly after a meal - she said it's b/c a lot of the low fat options I was eating had more sugar which caused hunger to spike etc. Or I was eating a carb heavy meal w/out protein - w/out that balance, my body was still left with cravings.

So now I've starting eating whole foods, working on increasing my protein etc. and it has helped. I've increased my cals to include the whole foods [ex. simply jif/natural peanut butter rather than low fat skippy or adding an egg or cottage cheese to my morning bkfst of cereal w/ milk for protein balance, etc.] rather than 100 cal packs or low fat options which also helps.

A great tip she gave me was for my sweet tooth - instead of reaching for what I was [choc kisses, choc pretz, etc] - eat a chocolate luna bar - my fav. is nutz over chocolate. That way you get your choc. fix but you also get a lot of vitamins & nutrients.

Hope this helps a bit.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote