Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #1  

Default Hello everyone

Hello just wanted to introduce myself.

I am a 34 year old male who has struggled with weight since the age of 15. I was never obese however always the chubby guy. I got into great shape in high school but just lost interest in weight lifting. I have followed ww most of my life on and off. Dieting like a yo yo. I have only been 30-40lbs over weight however, as I get older I am finding it harder and harder to keep it off.

I was a ww lover from 2004-2008 and kept my weight at 190. I joined a new position at work involving longer hours higher risk and bad eating schedule and team bonding quickly pumped me back up to 225lbs.

I tried Atkins last year and lost everything I gained in four months on plan but I felt gross and always had stomach issues. I went off and gained it back quicker than I lost it. I tried Atkins again for a month and lost 12lbs however I went off and just haven't been able to get serious with anything.

I decided to go back on plan yesterday with WW. I just hope that I can hit a groove and get going. I have attempted multiple starts over the past two years and find myself saying each night tomorrow I will start and take it serious.

It is the easiest plan to follow yet I can't get myself to the level of commitment that I need to be at. I just used the wife's calculator and I am suppose to eat 42 points a day. Honestly I know my body from years of diet and I know that 42 points will not work. Under the original system I was 19-23 points a day and I lost tons of weight.

I understand values have changed fruit is free but still 42 points. I have decided to subtract the 8 points for being male bringing me down to 34. Has anyone else had to adjust their intake on the new system?

Anyways just wanted to introduce myself and share my journey. I truly hope to utilize this site to keep on track and learn as well to help others.

Wish me luck!!
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #2  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

First, welcome!

Second, I would not recommend lowering your points. Those numbers aren't random, there is a nutritional need behind them based on your height and weight and the number will lower as you lose weight. Plus, food is calculated in a completely different way so food points are higher, hence why daily points are higher. You can't really compare your daily points on the old plan to your daily points on the new plan.

I've done WW in the past on the old plans and also lost a ton of weight. Now I'm on the new plan and also started at 42 and have now lost 90 lbs -- that's more than twice what I ever lost in the past, so I would suggest giving this new plan an honest sincere try before you start tweaking it.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #3  

When I ate to 42 points, I never lost in 3 weeks last round which put me back on atkins. So far today here is what I have done

banana 0
strawberries 1 cup 0
beagle thin cin/rais. with 1/2 tspn of peanut butter 4

For lunch I have made a salad and steak

california lettuce, 1 full tomato, 1/2 a large cucumber 0
steak fist size serving 7
oil and balsamic dressing 2 tsp oil and 2 tbspn of balsamic 3

that puts me at 14 for the day so far plus

3 point 100cal chips ahoy snack
ill be working so I guess a 6" subway turkey sandwich on HW, no cheese mustard and all the veg I can fit for 7 points maybe ill add cheddar for 3 more points

That puts me at 27 even if I throw a few more fruits in the mix those are zero

So am I suppose to eat another 15 points of snacks and what not?

It just seems like to much food for me. The reason I do well on WW is that I cut portions, avoid snacking on garbage and eat healthier. I will try and add some yogurt to the mix today as well but it still will not put me close to my target.

Maybe I will be starving and force myself to eat a 12" for dinner today.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #4  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

The plan works. Try to follow it and adjust if needed.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #5  
girl disappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
So am I suppose to eat another 15 points of snacks and what not?
No, but you can use those extra points to bulk up the meals you are currently eating and make sure you are hitting your Good Health Guidelines. I don't see any dairy, so don't be afraid to add cheese and milk and go for the full-fat items.

And don't just "throw fruit" in -- they are zero points but they aren't free, so you can't just eat to your hearts content. When the daily points are assigned, they take into account 5 servings of fruits and veggies combined. 1 serving of fruit is 1/2 cup, so your breakfast of 1 banana and 1 cup of strawberries is about 4 servings right there. Don't eat so much fruit that you are so full you can't get the rest of your daily points in.

The plan does work But you can't know after just one day that the points is too much if you haven't actually commited to the plan and given it a try.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #6  
girl disappearing

I did forget to mention that WW DOES allow you to lower your points, but only by 3. So if you honestly think 42 is too much (and maybe it is) you are allowed to lower your dailies to 39
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #7  

Ok good to know. The fruit surprises me. But I will watch what I eat fruit wise. I just wish I could count fruit as points again. I hate free!!

I usually have a yogurt every morning but I'm out today. I will add cheese to my meal tonight.

So with 4 servings of fruit already does that mean I can only have one more serving of fruit or veg? Then what do I start counting them as points?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!!

My boyfriend joined WW with me and he has 49 dailies and can never meet those numbers. He is 6' tall and start weight was 240ish. I was asking my leader about this and she said as long has he didn't go under the lowest point value of 26 he would be fine. He's done this and is already down 12 lbs. So with this being said, he hardly gets to use his weeklies as his dailies are so high!!! I guess see what works for you, tweak as you see fit but I wouldn't go below the 26! Good luck!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

!!!!

TudorRose has given you a lot of great advice especially about the "free" fruit allowances.

If you exceed the servings of fruit and/or veggies allowed per day then start counting after. That doesn't happen too often for me though because I try to remember, everything in moderation even with fruits and veggies.

I'd nix the 100 cal, low-fat and etc stuff and go for full-fat items. You could even have some more peanut butter with that bagel thins. If you like cottage cheese, you can add it to your salads for more protein/fat as well as calories. You can add the low-cal/fat stuff later when you are smaller.

Just hang in there and come back if you have any more problems/concerns/questions!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote