Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default You've Lost Enough!

Ok, no one has said this to me yet. However, the key word is "yet." Lately, people have been saying to me that every time they see me I am thinner. Two different people in about 5 days referred to me as "The Incredible Shrinking Woman."

Now, the reality is that I have lost a few pounds over the past 2 months, but nothing major. I am still in an overweight BMI category, and I have a little more than 20 lbs to go before I hit my goal weight. What I am realizing, is that so many people are overweight or obese, they don't have a clear idea of what a normal weight really looks like. So much so, that even someone who is still technically overweight, like me, seems skinny and shrinking down to nothing.

So, I am anticipating that when I get to within 10-15 pounds of my goal weight, suddenly all of these compliments and exclamations are going to turn negative. People are going to tell me I should stop dieting and that I am looking too skinny and unhealthy. Somehow when you lose weight, it's like being pregnant - everyone thinks they have the right to comment because it's an outward and obvious change.

For those of you who are on the last leg of your journey or have reached your goal weight - how did you handle the folks who thought you were losing too much or were venturing into the area of eating disorders? For some reason, a normal BMI weight looks anorexic to many people because they are not used to seeing someone at a normal weight anymore.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #2  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I wouldn't necessarily assume that you'll have large numbers of people telling you you're getting too thin. I have had almost none of these comments. I live in a city with a larger-than-average number of thin people and have a lot of fitness-minded friends, so YMMV, but the many comments I've received have been overwhelmingly positive.

Be that as it may, I find that telling people that you're focusing on fitness rather than weight loss helps. I tell people that I'm looking for more muscle definition; telling people that you're working on "toning" will probably play well, if that word doesn't annoy you too much. Also, telling them that your doctor is very happy with your weight loss (mine is, so it's true!) or has approved/encouraged you to lose a bit more also helps. Overall, putting the spotlight on health & fitness is usually a good thing in these conversations. Honestly though, I think that most of the time when you get the "don't lose any more!" comments, the conversation ends if you say "oh absolutely, I'm done!"
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I get this already, with 50 lbs left! It depends on who it's coming from. When it's my mom if I explain to her that I am still in an unhealthy range for my height lays off, she's coming from a concerned place. If someone is saying it and I know they aren't concerned about my healthy but rather it's coming from someplace else I say "I'm just not sure if I'm done, we'll see what happens", that usually keeps them quiet. It's really none of their business.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

I'll just say the same thing I said in a similar post before, I completely understand what you mean but I feel like the reason why people say that is not because they think you've lost enough, it's because their minds just have not gotten used to the picture/idea of one looking slinmer than we ever have! My mother thinks I have lost enough weight but technically I still have fat rolls and I'm "overweight" according to my BMI but that's just what I keep telling myself "they have never seen me as small as I want to be"
It's even hard for me to picture myself at my GW but don't let those comments bring you down
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #5  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I think a lot of that is mental for you. Most people (That I know) don't really consider "healthy weight" Anorexic. Now... if your ribs started showing and your eyes started getting hollow etc.. people who care might say something. But I DOUBT anyone would tell you something at a healthy weight. I've personally never heard of this.

I also am from Colorado and it's amazing how many in shape thin people are around me. Yes, we have overweight and obese here too, but I'd say 1 out of 5 people here are pretty decent shape. I know a lot of friends and work mates that have lost weight and only received praise.

Even if people tell you this, the only one who can really tell you if your weight is truly unhealthy, is your doctor. If you have a weigh range (such as the BMI) aren't eating less than 1200 cal a day, and are staying relatively healthy, then I would personally ignore anyone who does tell you something about your weight in a negative way.

Even as being bigger, my weight... my business. Family mentioning health issues is one thing, but if my doctor says I'm fine, then it's fine.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I don't know what it is about the weight loss journey that inspires people to believe that you are now suddenly too thin. I am having the same problem, even though I am still 10 lbs overweight and 20 lbs away from my goal. I want to weigh what I did when I started working my current job. No one said I was too skinny then. But now I say I am only 10lbs overweight, and my coworkers look at me like I am whacked. I look ok in clothes, but the naked version is not as good. I wish people could understand that. Sorry I don't have anything helpful to say, but I thought at least I could tell you that you are not alone.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the comments. I think I must live in a community that is particularly nosy and outspoken - in fact, I know I do! For sure, I am expecting "concerned" comments as I get closer to goal. So far, every reaction that I anticipated throughout my journey has happened and then some. Some good and some not so good.

I like the focus on fitness and health rather than weight. I also like invoking my doctor's approval - people don't often argue with a medical stamp of approval! As long as I have some tools to deal with various reactions, I'll be ok.

Thanks, again!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I get it allllllll the time. I really don't have any suggestions for you though because I've been so taken aback at the people saying it to me—people that have no business commenting on my weight (like AT WORK or at THE GYM. Leave me alone!)

If family members say something it's easier to say STFU to them, but they've been leaving me alone lately. My friends never said anything negative.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #9  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I got a couple of comments along the lines of, "don't lose too much!" but I really think that it's just odd for people who have always known me to be heavier and it takes them a bit to get used to the healthy me.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Just got me thinking, people feel free to make comments like "Oh you're getting too thin", but boy it is NOT ok for people to comment on "wow you sure are packin on the pounds", I mean sure there are some a-holes who say that, but it's not socially acceptable to do so. NO one thinks that's ok, why do people think it's ok the other way around?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Just got me thinking, people feel free to make comments like "Oh you're getting too thin", but boy it is NOT ok for people to comment on "wow you sure are packin on the pounds", I mean sure there are some a-holes who say that, but it's not socially acceptable to do so. NO one thinks that's ok, why do people think it's ok the other way around?
This is what frustrates me to NO END. I'm really tired of people commenting about me being "too thin." It's part of the reason I'm afraid to wear anything baggy to the gym because I know I'll start getting the comments. Why is it ok to tell me I'm "too thin" but not ok to say I'm too fat?

NEITHER should be ok! My weight is my business and my doctor's business...that's it!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Last time I tried this weight loss thing, when I got down to 190, I would tell people I thought I needed to lose another 30 pounds. I had many people seem shocked. They would say "really?" or would say quite seriously, "oh no you don't - you'll go too far".

So I guess if I get down to 190 and can't lose another pound, at least some people will think I look ok at that weight.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote