Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #1  

Default Anyone gluten free?

Last year I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditis which increase the odds that I might develope a gluten "allergy" even though I've never had a problem with gluten in my life. I was tested last year for the antibodies for gluten allergy and came up neg, although I've been having unhappy GI symptoms for over a year.

So a few weeks ago I started getting REALLY BAD nausea, everyday. And stomach pain. I have since made an appointment with a GI doc, but not until the end of July.

I decided to try gluten free, see if it helps...

Today's is my first day. I had some residual nausea this morning (from lastnights meal?? IDK) but that faded off before lunch and I've been FREE FROM nausea and stomch pain/gas/ general abdominal yuckiness !!

I didn't think going gluten free works that fast. If that;s what the problem is/was. But I don't want to eat gluten free. THere were so many foods I couldn't eat today.

Anyone else gluten free? Any experiences with gluten?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I am gluten-free and grain-free and honestly have never felt better. I have a strong gluten intolerance and don't tolerate grains in general much better. The first few days of not eating gluten can be ****, but it is not unusual so don't get discouraged. And yes, gluten-free does cut out a lot of foods, but at least in my case, the benefits of avoiding gluten is absolutely worth the sacrifice.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm grain free, so by default, gluten free.

I have NEVER felt better. I don't miss any of it because I know how badly they make me feel.

Just keep at it and pretty soon you won't either!

Focus on what you CAN eat, not what you can't eat! I fill my meals with yummy fats, proteins, fruits and veg. Good wholesome stuff!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also find that I feel MUCH better on a low-grain, gluten-free diet. Every once in a while I goof up, and end up sick enough to wonder why I was so tempted to "cheat" in the first place. The taste and texture of fresh bread is pretty amazing, but not worth feeling crappy afterward.

Sometimes I can "get away" with a bite or two, but it's such a slippery slope that I'm trying not to go down that path at all. Last night I was really having serious gluten-envy watching my hubby eat crackers (and I never even used to like crackers that much, now I feel like I'd gnaw my left foot off for a saltine).

Non-gluten grains also cause me problems in large doses, but a few servings of week seem to be ok. Though recently, I've cut those out too, trying to cut carbs a little more than I have been, and trying to get the carbs I do eat from mostly fruits and non-starchy veggies.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I have no experience with gluten free, but the author Shreve Stockton who wrote the Daily Coyote (totally recommend) also wrote a gluten-free cookbook. Based on her blog, her food sounds pretty good. Might want to check it out. She has an etsy shop named the Daily Coyote and also a blog named Honey Rock Dawn. Good luck!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote