Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default How do you stop the obsessive thoughts?

Every once in a while (and rather often lately), I start to absolutely obsess over food. I record food programs on TV: Donut Paradise is stored in my DVR. I will go to fast food web sites and restaurant web sites just to read the menus.

Worst of all, I will fantasize. Now, a normal girl would probably fantasize about a guy, or being rich, or whatever. I, on the other hand, daydream about what I would eat if I could have a free day. I think about how breakfast would involve a stop for breakfast tacos, then a drive to the donut shop where I would buy an assortment of donuts to munch on all day. I think about how many of each type of donut to buy.

I think about where I would go for lunch. I wouldn't buy just one menu item, I would buy three or four and eat. I antasize about steak, pizza, my favorite chicken dish, you name it.

Is there a way to get out from under these obsessive thoughts? Staying away from sugars and carbs, while it seems to work for many of you, has no bearing on me. I have had these obsessive thoughts even when I have eaten lower carbs and even when following Atkins in the past. I would just potentially fantasize about something different, like meat instead of donuts.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I also suffer a bit from food addiction and obsessive thoughts. The more weight I lose, however, the more I find I am in charge of those thoughts, and they don't control me. I definitely think about food all the time, but not in the same way. I used to contemplate what ice cream we were going to go get after dinner, and then we went to get it. Now I don't remember the last time I ate ice cream. Because I decided I was going to take control over food, simply because I don't want it to control me any more. If I take a bite of something that tastes just too good, I will stop eating it right there. Because I know if I keep going, I will not be able to stop. Take oreos, for example. If I had access to oreos, with a large glass of cold milk, I would eat the whole package. Something about certain food textures just triggers that emotional thing I have with food. Like pasta, fried battered foods such as green tomatoes, gator tail, shrimp, etc. I just can't stop. So I don't know how to stop the thoughts completely, but I feel that the longer you are on your journey, the easier it gets. I just have to remind myself that food is not going to control me, and I am not powerless against food. I eat it, it will not eat me.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I did not fantasize that much --your message made me fantasize, mind you-- but I notice I am obsessive with lots of things. I suppose I just changed the obsession I had with eating --not with tasteful food, but with eating any food-- with a new obsession for wogging and new clothes and make up. I have recently fallen in love with my waist! LOL
This too shall pass. Just try to start new activities that will divert your thought to new horizons...
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Is it the taste or the quantity you fantasize about? How strict is your diet?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: hw175/145/140

Height: 5'6"

Many times if you are having obsessive thoughts like this it could be because you are depriving yourself. I'm not sure how many calories you allow yourself in a day. I usually eat between 1500-1800, averaging around 1700. I work hard to eat lots of vegetables, I get creative making veggie chilli, making warm salads and vegetable kabobs. Whatever to mainly full up on vegetables and I get a lot of protein and fruit. I have a small dessert most nights. If I know I want pizza or something heavier I make sure to budget my calories for that and drink water. I have found that I am much more successful with weightloss if i count calories, have sweet things in moderation, when carving them and get plenty of exercise. I don't keep snacks in the house that I know I can't control how much I'll eat. I had a half a cup of chocolate ice cream for dessert tonight only 140 calories.

Last edited by Domlacha; 06-13-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Domlacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Maybe I need to up my calories; I usually eat about 1400. I think about the quantity, but also the texture and how certain foods taste. Like donuts, which seem to be the primary focus of the moment. I think about how the different favors taste and I think about how some are very light and sweet, while my preferred ones are sort of doughy and fill me up.

I fantasizes before losing weight, too. The only difference was that I acted on them. If I started thinking nonstop about pizza, I picked up a phone and ordered pizza.

I think that being on vacation for two weeks and not following plan is the trigger for this recent obsessive focus on food. It's just hard to keep from just driving right to my favorite restaurant and ordering a bunch of food.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you should up your calories to 1600. I know when I was eating too little, all I could think & dream about was food. (I was eating around 1200-1300 then) but since I've upped it to 1500, I'm not as obsessive since I don't feel as deprived. How active are you? Because I think for your weight & height (& if you are exercising as well) you are eating too little.
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Try "Life is Hard Food is Easy" by Linda Spangle at your library.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_sy...page&q&f=false

is the google books preview of it.

Donuts and soft foods like that indicates heart hunger -- the need for comfort, nurture, etc.

The other thing that helped me was high quality vitamins. There's no cravings if there's no missing need. (And my labs showed me B12 and D deficient so I felt justified. I KNEW something had to be off!)

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-14-2012 at 12:26 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/209/175

Maybe you should eat a donut? Just one, have someone go buy it for you if you won't be able to resist, count it in your calories for the day, and savor it. I'm not that well versed on food addiction, but is that an option?

And definitely try upping your calories a little. I remember reading once how POWs who were being deprived of food obsessed over it, fantasized about food, etc and researchers saw the same traits in dieters. Maybe you need a little more moderation and not so much deprivation?
angelarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #10  

I know I focus on food wayyyyy too much. Don't ask me why, but I never watch the food network channel...until I try to lose weight. Then, I am always watching shows about people cooking or eating. And, hate to admit it, but I, too, will look up fav restaurants to check out the menus. Ugh.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/125

Height: 5'1

Do these thoughts actually make you eat these things?

I often find looking at these things is enough for me. I know that sounds weird, but I do the same thing as far as watching food programs go. I tell myself I can have that stuff when I've met my goal. I guess seeing it is enough.

But seeing it IRL IS too much for me...sometimes. My grandma doesn't like my weight loss goals and so she bakes a lot now that I'm back on a diet. She made shortbread with strawberries. :/ I want that pretty bad but I've resisted temptation.

If you don't mind swearing, I recommend watching 'epic meal time' on youtube. It will gross you out so much that you wont wanna eat for a while. xD Trust me!
napalmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #12  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I get that way too when I'm sleep deprived. I can be following a diet well, eating lower carb, exercising, everything, but if I'm sleep deprived? I fantastize about food.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I have found that taking up a mediation practice has been a great help.

Turning the Mind Into An Ally by Sakyong Mipham is a great book to teach meditation. I just do 10 minutes a day, sometimes twice a day.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE food network. I can pretty much say that its my favorite channel (as is any food centric show - ****'s Kitchen, Master Chef, Top Chef...etc). Watching food shows doesn't make me obsess though. I think I'm more into the techniques and learning how to bake/cook different things than actually obsessing over the actual food.

Do you save and watch food shows because you plan on eating what they're making?

I can relate to your obsessive thoughts about "whats for lunch". When I'm planning a binge, I think about what I'm gonna get from 2 or 3 different fast food places. For me, the food shows and planning a binge are completely unrelated.

Binge eating is a form of OCD (whether this is official in the medical community or not - I dont know, that's how I see it). I explain it as OCD to people who I feel wont completely understand binge eating.

Sorry - I went off on a tangent

Everyone has given you great suggestions. As always, the key is finding what works for YOU. Are you able to talk to a doctor/therapist? That might honestly be a good starting point.

Good luck to you.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #15  

I do the same (nice to know I'm not alone). And in my case, it has nothing to do with deprivation (I eat an average of 2200 calories a day, and I eat a variety of foods, including treats). Perhaps this would pass if I would be willing to go reduced or lower carb, but the thought of doing that upsets me, so what I'm trying to do is catch myself when I start fantasizing like that and try to think of something else. Keeping myself busy seems to help.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote