General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Planet Fitness

There is a Planet Fitness opening less than 2 miles from my apartment in a few weeks. They joining cost is $1, monthly fee of $10 and a yearly fee of $29. I very tempted to join, really for the cost, even if I don't like it, I'm not out much, but was wondering if anyone has any insight on the company as a whole?

I currently run and walk outside and own a treadmill if I absolutely can't go outside, but would like the access to weights for strength training. I've found both good and bad reviews online but would love some more personal opinions.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

The gym I go to is a Planet Fitness and I think its great! It's cheap and they have a lot of machines to choose from. They do have weights and a 30 minute express circuit training area for quick workouts. I've been with them for two years and so far so good. Of course, every gym is different but I have no complaints!
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

They have free pizza and a "no grunting" rule in the free weights area.

Rates are super reasonable. Where I live the parking lot gets crazy mobbed at any "peak" time and you have to sign up for cardio equipment.

I'll stick with my gross low-budget but contract-free inner-city gym, which I realize isn't an option for everyone.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Yea, they have free pizza on the first Monday of every month which I do find to be a bit strange. My gym is pretty forgiving of the whole "grunting thing"-but I know that's a big time rule at most PFs.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #5  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

went with my daughter as a guest a few times and loved it--wish i had one near me!! i think its def worth the $$
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you're fine with a limited amount of free weights and don't grunt a lot when working out it's probably a great gym for the price.

Negative reviews I assume come from people who are biased towards a more traditional gym.

I grunt when doing heavy lifting but it is not over the top so whether I could work out there or not I am not sure.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I would love to have a PF where I live for those rates!! I have a treadmill at home too but just to be able to lift weights all would be worth that price for me. All three of the gyms in my area are a mimumum of $50/month. DUMB!
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

my gym is more expensive than even $50/month...both gyms in town are...*cry* everything is more expensive in Alaska
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
If you're fine with a limited amount of free weights and don't grunt a lot when working out it's probably a great gym for the price.

Negative reviews I assume come from people who are biased towards a more traditional gym.

I grunt when doing heavy lifting but it is not over the top so whether I could work out there or not I am not sure.
I think the "lunkhead alarm" thing is probably just made up for the most part...but it sure would be funny to see a thread on here "JohnP sets off lunkhead alarm at Planet Fitness"

$50 a month is ridiculous. For that much they'd better be assigning you a personal trainer as well as a slave who follows you around wiping your rear when you go #2 and purchases ingredients for/cooks you fabulous gourmet meals. But I guess if there are no cheaper alternatives, people will still pay...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the opinions! I think I will go ahead and sign up. All of the other gyms in my area are kind of pricey so I haven't been able to join. I will just try to keep my grunting under control
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

A bit off topic... but no grunting? That's crazy. I go to Anytime Fitness and there are lots of grunters (my husband is one of them...). I find that it doesn't really bother me because I have my ear buds in anyway.

I've never heard of a no grunting rule! It amuses me!
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #12  

Height: 5'9"

I would rather have grunting than some @****** that parks his sweaty kiester on the machine I want to use and will not move, even though he is taking a 30 minute break between sets while reading "Grapes of Wrath".So you can grunt all you want to provided you are sharing the weight machines and free weight benches. Just my thoughts.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #13  
Staying the Same

Yeah, it's stupid and discourages serious weightlifters/people who think grunting is cool from joining PF (they go to Gold's or Crossfit anyway).
Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #14  

Just knowing that I would be breaking a rule if I grunted would make me want to... not that I do, but still.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote