Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default Thyroid? Depression? I feel hopeless.

Okay, so first...
I hate scales.
I hate them.
Not fish scales, but doc office scales, gym scales, my scale, your scale. Every scale.
Stepped on the scale at the gym, 176! Nice! I was wearing shorts and a tanktop.
Stepped on doc's scale today, 196! Not so nice, my friends. Not so nice. Wearing a skirt, shirt, scarf and shoes. (So yes, extra weight, but not 20 pounds of extra weight)
Not sure which to believe, but whatever. Trying to let that roll off my shoulders.

Go to the doc to explain that I'm always exhausted, depressed, can't lose weight, etc...she said it sounds like either depression or a thyroid issue
They took blood. I'll get test results in a few days.
Neato.

Pretty much, I'm sick of working out, eating very well, and surviving with ZERO energy just to have nothing change :/ I still feel fat and dumpy and sad. I'm still exhausted. I still feel horrible in my own skin. It's frustrating

I've been reading around (yay, internet!) and it seems like even when people -do- get their thyroid or depression or whatever issues corrected, nothing happens! They're still not able to lose weight.

I feel hopeless, and I needed a place to rant
So thank you for listening <3
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I know how you feel, so you aren't alone. I've just been putting myself on autopilot with dieting, working out and going for walks, hoping something eventually kicks in. I just remember doing nothing at all isn't going to make me feel better or make the situation any better.

I think once the issue is corrected you will feel better and have an easier time losing weight. Atleast that what I tell myself to give myself hope

I do the searching around online too, and I realize when searching for something specific, like thyroid and not able to lose weight, of course you'll find people in that situation. Do a search for people who have lost weight after getting better from depression or balancing out their thyroid and maybe you'll find more positive stories.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #3  

"Pretty much, I'm sick of working out, eating very well, and surviving with ZERO energy just to have nothing change :/ I still feel fat and dumpy and sad. I'm still exhausted. I still feel horrible in my own skin. It's frustrating." <----THIS!

Your case sounds almost parallel to mine! I had my physical last week, and found out I've GAINED 5lb over the course of one month despite rigorous exercise and careful dieting. I went home crying, even though my doctor agreed that I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism and put in for me to get tested. I go in for my blood work tomorrow. Right now, work is a struggle because I'm exhausted and can barely focus.

I totally feel you on the hopelessness, but I will say what my aunt (who had severe hypothyroidism) told me recently. She lost 40 lb once she found the right thyroid meds. The trick is finding them. She said to avoid generic meds for that condition at all costs, for starters. So you CAN lose the weight once you start on the meds, if HT is what you've got. Also, all your dieting and exercise will pay off once you find the right meds--you won't have to change your lifestyle to lose the weight; you're already used to it and you have muscles that allow you to exercise at a higher intensity than if you'd been a couch potato and just started exercising when you go on the meds. This is what my aunt tells me, and I'm praying it's true.
QueenofThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Awh thanks guys <3

QueenofThorns, I'm praying it's true, too!
Turns out the thyroid bit I was thinking wasn't actually what was going on. Just 'severe' depression. I dunno, though. The doctor herself didn't seem completely convinced.

Ringmaster, thank you! I did a search and found a lot of success stories. I feel a lot better today, and I'm starting to actively try to be optimistic, which is harder than it sounds. haha
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote