Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Please talk some sense into me

I've been struggling a lot lately. For a while, I was doing great and I thought I found a solution to my binge eating. I was doing IF (intermittent fasting) and I lost those last pounds and got into that vanity range that I had been striving towards for as long as I can remember.

Now, over the last few weeks, things have taken a sharp turn for the horrible. I have been binge eating from morning until I pass out in bed in a stupor. I can't think straight anymore because I'm eating so much junk. I won't get into the details of what I've been consuming so as not to trigger anyone else's binge, but it's as bad as it can possibly be. Last night, I was so bad that I had chills and terrible nausea, intense headache, etc. I knew that I'm just very sick in the head with regards to food.

I just know that today is the day I need to reign it in. I need to get back to what I know. I need to workout, I need to count calories, drink water and avoid temptation. I must not give into my intense urges. What I need is one good day.

I probably should mention that I just moved to a different home. There was a lot of stress involved with that move. I don't do well with change and need my routine, which has been greatly disrupted. Also, I have not gotten a good night of sleep since the move. It's almost as if my body forgot what it's like to sleep. I do manage to sleep but I wake up 3 or 4 times a night to use the restroom (I stop drinking at 7). Once I"m up , I can't get back to sleep and when I don't sleep well, the chance or binge eating is very high. I've been up since 3:30 a.m., just to give you an idea.

I guess I know what I need to do. I need to really focus. I thought I'd come here for some support and maybe encouragement? Or, maybe you're the tough-love type...I welcome that as well.

Thanks!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

You clearly already know what to do, so just do it. You're moved in now, re-build your routine. I know it's easier said than done. I've been struggling lately myself. Today we are both going to just do what we know we have to do. No excuses
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just a couple thoughts for you.

One is that you see if you can find a good counselor who is savvy about food issues. Even if you've tried counseling or therapy before, this is now.

Another is that you explore the "No S Diet." It is slow if you're trying to lose, but you're not in that phase now. It might be a way to maintain that you'll find easier to stick with. If nothing else, you could incorporate some of the concepts.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I've been struggling a lot lately. For a while, I was doing great and I thought I found a solution to my binge eating. I was doing IF (intermittent fasting) and I lost those last pounds and got into that vanity range that I had been striving towards for as long as I can remember.

Now, over the last few weeks, things have taken a sharp turn for the horrible. I have been binge eating from morning until I pass out in bed in a stupor. I can't think straight anymore because I'm eating so much junk. I won't get into the details of what I've been consuming so as not to trigger anyone else's binge, but it's as bad as it can possibly be. Last night, I was so bad that I had chills and terrible nausea, intense headache, etc. I knew that I'm just very sick in the head with regards to food.

I just know that today is the day I need to reign it in. I need to get back to what I know. I need to workout, I need to count calories, drink water and avoid temptation. I must not give into my intense urges. What I need is one good day.

I probably should mention that I just moved to a different home. There was a lot of stress involved with that move. I don't do well with change and need my routine, which has been greatly disrupted. Also, I have not gotten a good night of sleep since the move. It's almost as if my body forgot what it's like to sleep. I do manage to sleep but I wake up 3 or 4 times a night to use the restroom (I stop drinking at 7). Once I"m up , I can't get back to sleep and when I don't sleep well, the chance or binge eating is very high. I've been up since 3:30 a.m., just to give you an idea.

I guess I know what I need to do. I need to really focus. I thought I'd come here for some support and maybe encouragement? Or, maybe you're the tough-love type...I welcome that as well.

Thanks!
I saw your post this morning on another thread. It gave the impression that you have no problems dieting and maintaining. It's time to walk the talk

Last edited by bargoo; 06-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #5  

Sometimes just incorporting and sticking to one good habit will get you on the right track. I like Jayell's suggestion about NoS, but even if you find it difficult to incorporate all the concepts in that plan (I do), even just using a couple of the concepts would help. For instance, I decided last week that I need to put a stop to nighttime eating. So, I made a rule that I would eat nothing after dinner during weekday nights. Sticking to that even for just a few days has made a world of difference. For one thing, I'm saving a few hundred calories. For another, I feel really proud of myself and feel as if I have my self-control back since I have been able to stick to not eating at night. I think so much of our struggle is mental, and sometimes we need to just do one eating thing right to give us the confidence that we can get back on track.

Good luck!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I think binging is either a rebellion against an overly restrictive eating regimen or an attempt to deal with a source of dissatisfaction in one's life, and sometimes a bit of both. Once you identify what's leading you to binge, you can make adjustments in your eating regimen and/or life circumstances. This will give you a sense of control and most probably curtail the urge to binge.

JMHO Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 06-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I feel like giving you hugs and tough love simultaneously. I'm so sorry you are struggling and I pray you've turned the corner.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
So, I made a rule that I would eat nothing after dinner during weekday nights.
I'm thinking of trying something similar: no eating outside of meals. That's what the French do. Three squares and that's all. They consider snacking appropriate only for very young children.

I do way too much nibbling, so I feel I need a little structure to put some boundaries on my eating.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #9  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I'm thinking of trying something similar: no eating outside of meals. That's what the French do. Three squares and that's all. They consider snacking appropriate only for very young children.

I do way too much nibbling, so I feel I need a little structure to put some boundaries on my eating.

F.
Same here. Though I can't get rid of my afternoon snack, I go 9 hours between lunch and dinner. But I don't need to nibble from 6 to 8 nonstop, do I? Which is what I've been doing for the past 2 months or so. My eating is way out of control and I feel your pain, luckymommy. I've been stress-eating like there's no tomorrow. I'm lucky to not have gained much so far, but the way I'm eating, that can't last. I *need* to stop eating so much, period. We can do this, we've done it before.
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I probably should mention that I just moved to a different home. There was a lot of stress involved with that move. I don't do well with change and need my routine, which has been greatly disrupted. Also, I have not gotten a good night of sleep since the move. It's almost as if my body forgot what it's like to sleep. I do manage to sleep but I wake up 3 or 4 times a night to use the restroom (I stop drinking at 7). Once I"m up , I can't get back to sleep [snip]
To me, it sounds as though your level of anxiety is extremely high.

Were you ambivalent about this move? Is it far from where you lived before?

What would help you establish new routines?

I feel you, because I visited my once-and-future home this weekend. It's under renovation. When I left it last year -- or rather, was forced to leave it, since I had no choice for safety's sake -- I felt very frightened, so it's not a safe-feeling place for me. I've been gone so very long -- for nine months now -- that I've become confused about where home is. I ought to be overjoyed to return to my old routines, but I know that's going to be a big adjustment. Yesterday, at the thought of coming back, my own anxiety levels went very high, and then I felt unutterably depressed, and then really, really tired.

How much of a routine have you figured out for yourself? Are you going out & exploring?

I think once you feel better in control in other areas of your life, you will be over this disruptive period.

That's what it is, a disruptive period. Like unpacking and putting away. It will not always be like this. I am confident that your unsettled feelings will pass, if you can just hold on there.

You have not been lost, just because your surroundings are different and your routine is gone. The essence of you is unchanged. You will prevail. Please do not hurt yourself by eating bad things during this hard time. Try to be kind to yourself. Again, let me say this, though I am taking a guess, because I do not know you: I think you are a little lost and still getting reoriented. You really need some kindness from yourself. Not drill sergeant marching orders.

Last edited by saef; 06-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post

F.
I'm sticking with it well, so far. I'll warn you, though: The urge to eat after dinner is strong (because remember: I allow myself to eat dessert on Friday & Saturday, so getting back on track is hard). For a good hour last night, I got REALLY strong urges to eat something. The funny thing is that I'm trying to approach this objectively, sort of standing apart from myself & listening to all the excuses I mentally make to justify eating something: "I can just cut back tomorrow." "I'll start cutting out after-dinner snacks tomorrow." "Good grief! Just because I fail this once doesn't mean I'll fail every time." Last night, those excuses were in full force! I almost gave in . . . but I didn't, and I'm so proud of myself this morning. In any case, after resisting those urges for an hour or so (during which time, I straightened up the kitchen, got my bike ready for the ride I plan to take today, took a shower), they went away.

When I think of all the excuses I can make to eat, I think of that scene in The Exorcist where the old priest tells the young priest "Don't listen" to what the devil says to him during the exorcism. (Yeah, a bit overdramatic, but the parallel is there ).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #12  
onedayatatimer

bargoo....if you're referring to my post where someone asked for no details on how to lose weight...just bullet points...well, I gave them that. I don't think I"m dishonest in any of my posts. I try to answer people what they are asking for and try not to impose additional info if they specifically request that I don't provide additional info. Your post doesn't seem like tough love but more of a slap in the face. I'm lucky though because after all the years that I've been here, this is the first time I've encountered such a tone from someone. Oh well.

I really appreciate all the support and advice. I'm going to look into the No S Diet. Thanks Jay for sharing that info.

Saef...your advice really hit home. I really am feeling so out of my routine. There is no routine. We are still unpacking and life feels chaotic with my chronic daily migraines, my special needs child, the dog escaping a few times and just everything in general. I did want this move but things here aren't exactly what I expected (think rat issues and I'll leave it at that...but there are many more). I need to just take things slowly and not try to do too much. I need to focus on my routine which is where I really thrive. There have also been end of the year things for my kids schools adding to the mix so I just need to be kind to myself. Yes. I do agree with that completely.

lin43, I'm going to do the same. No more eating after dinner. It's so simple, yet so incredibly difficult sometimes. I'll get there though. I just know it now.

travelingmichele, your hugs mean so much to me! I am blessed to get those and truly appreciate them coming my way.

Ashley, thanks for the kick in the pants....I know it comes from a place of kindness and I do need to just get myself in gear.

freelance....I absolutely need to figure this one out. I've been dealing with it for so many years and it still haunts me, no matter how many times I've had a "bazinga" moment.

I've run out of time so if I left anyone out in my reply, I apologize. Thanks so much to everyone. I love coming here for support and inspiration.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
bargoo....if you're referring to my post where someone asked for no details on how to lose weight...just bullet points...well, I gave them that. I don't think I"m dishonest in any of my posts. I try to answer people what they are asking for and try not to impose additional info if they specifically request that I don't provide additional info. Your post doesn't seem like tough love but more of a slap in the face. I'm lucky though because after all the years that I've been here, this is the first time I've encountered such a tone from someone. Oh well.

I don't wish to get into an argument so will just say I'm sorry if I offended you that was not ny intent.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

The more restrictive the day-to-day diet, the more binges. At least that has been my experience. I have not binged in over 2 years and doubt I will again, unless I stop doing what I'm doing.
-Always eat something when physically hungry (even if it's at night. Make it something healthy like fruit, nuts, or veggies.)
-Have a little leeway (make time for pizza and chocolate in moderation)
-Deal with emotions instead of pushing them down. Talk about it. Write about it. Cry if you have to.
-Eat as much nutritious food as possible so your body gets all the fuel it needs. The more junk you eat, the more you want to eat because your body still needs missing nutrients. Eat a ton of produce. Avoid processed chemical substitutes, they just confuse your body.

I really never thought binge eating would be a non-issue for me, but this has done it.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #15  
onedayatatimer

Thanks for the apology, bargoo. I accept.

k8yk, thanks so much for your suggestions. I wish I could eat things like pizza and chocolate in moderation but I can't. I think it would be similar to asking an alcoholic to only have a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe some people can do it, but I certainly can't, no matter how hard I try. The way I usually deal with my binges is that I just let them happen and then I jump back on the wagon the very next morning. I think that because I've been so far out of my routine, I haven't been able to just get back on track.

Today, I haven't been back to my routine. I didn't workout this morning, but I'm trying to do things without that sense of panic that I was experiencing earlier. I'm also doing a lot of positive self talk and as silly as it sounds, I'm trying to feel pretty instead of like a bloated out of control person. I just keep telling myself that I look and feel great. I kind of like to fake it till I make it sometimes.

One of the things that is also inspiring me here is the fact that many maintainers have had these types of slips and I know it doesn't have to turn into me throwing in the towel. I can fall off track...even for a month and I know one good day can turn into another and another and then I'm back in the right mindset.