Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Veggie burgers

Im a serious burger fiend.. I need burgers in my diet, I just cant give them up and I don't like turkey. I was wondering if maybe veggie burgers taste the same as regular patties and if any of you know any good brand names?

Thanks!
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Morning Star burgers taste pretty good. I still prefer an actual burger (well the ones we make at my house, not ones premade or something like that) but they're pretty convenient because you can microwave them.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I haven't had a beef burger in years but I think these are amazing, juicy and really yummy.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 110/189/110

Height: 5'4

Real good stuff
i33BabyGirl33i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

A couple of years ago I tried going vegetarian and my friend told me about Boca Burgers which are made of tofu.

OMG they taste JUST like meat in my opinion! They are a little bit drier than meat but some ketchup fixed that. And they are pretty low cal and full of protein. I also tried tofu hot dogs but no those things were weird. You should try them for sure
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa66 View Post
A couple of years ago I tried going vegetarian and my friend told me about Boca Burgers which are made of tofu.

OMG they taste JUST like meat in my opinion! They are a little bit drier than meat but some ketchup fixed that. And they are pretty low cal and full of protein. I also tried tofu hot dogs but no those things were weird. You should try them for sure
Oh yeah! Boca Burgers are pretty good too!

My mom and her friend wanted to try some veggie burgers so my mom's friend found a hardcore vegetarian woman at her job and asked her what she recommended. They both figured that was the best way to find a decent brand since we had a bad experience with other veggie burgers.

The friend recc'd Morning Star and Boca Burgers. I like both, but most of my family liked Morning Star so we have those in the house

Morning Star also makes hot dogs and corn dogs. The corn dogs taste just like real corn dogs as far as I can tell, because I don't like corn dogs and I didn't like the Morning Star ones either!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

If you want it to taste like meat, the Boca Flame Grilled is the best.

Black bean burgers are awesome, though, with pico or salsa, maybe cheese, avocado, whatever. So good!

Cooking Light did a spread on veggie burgers with so many different ideas.

The first batch I ever made was white bean based, onion, mushroom, garlic, and egg for binding and I baked them. It was probably close to ten years ago after I had gone to a burger restaurant with an award for the best veggie burgers. Mine were a copy, but tasted better

I plan to make TVP based veggie burgers soon to just have on hand in the freezer.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

One more idea is to make your classic beef burger recipe with lean ground beef to cut calories and usually you need something to retain the moisture since it can be dry. Minced mushrooms or onions or shredded zucchini or squash can keep that moisture in the lean meat.

Bison/buffalo tastes like beef and is low in fat since they're so dang muscular, lol!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I love Boca Burgers and MorningStar.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

I have never found a veggie burger that really tastes "like" meat. I have, however, found many veggie burgers that taste "as good as" meat. If you go into it thinking that a frozen veggie pattie is going to taste just like a beef hamburger, you are going to be disappointed. If you go into it thinking that this might be a different but somewhat similar sandwich option, you might have a better go of it.

I like the Morningstar farms products a lot, too, but really most of the ones I've had in the last few years have been pretty good. They're also really convenient.

Have you considered just making burgers with ultra-lean beef? It's not an everyday kind of thing, but you don't have to give up all beef burgers forever!
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #11  
Mrs. Fed Up

S/C/G: 248/248/150

Height: 5'9"

I love hot dogs and it's something I'd miss as a pescatarian if Morningstar Farms didn't have THE best dog. I've tried other brands and they're mushy; MF hot dogs are the consistency of a real hot dog.

I like Bocas but prefer MF. But Bocas make a great salisbury steak with pepper and onion gravy. I also prefer the MF crumbles to Boca crumbles, which seem more rubbery. Right now for lunch I'm eating a sloppy joe with crumbles fried in a little oil and a can of Manwich sauce.
suzycreamcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5

boca burgers make my nose hairs tingle lol i thought they were gross..however i have never had the morning star ones so I am going to try those.
katy929 is offline   Reply With Quote