Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #1  
feelin' good

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default It's possible to lose weight on vacation (Disneyland!)

Hi Everyone,
I only just started my calorie counting and on my second week I had plans to go to Disneyland- yikes! I wanted to share how I lost a pound while there! (For me , this was an accomplishment considering normally I would gain weight on vacation).
I was there for one week.
Here are some of my tips:
-brought an electric kettle and ate Revolution Oats for breakfast (130 calories) with 1/2 a cup of almond milk (30 calories)
- drank at least 8 oz of water before heading out
- once cup of coffee and 1 tablespoon of half and half (brought my own sweetner, tablespoon, and measuring cup for the hotel)
- bring smart water and drink a lot of it!
- bring kashi bars (mine was 120 calories) for a snack - only eat one snack a day

- I recorded everything I ate and made good estimates about the calories (Disneyland does not offer nutritional information)
- There are Fairfax Market stands at both parks that offer healthy snacks (fruit, carrots, water etc) I never ended up snacking except for the two treats I had and the kashi bar (once daily)
- Lunch: either a chicken sandwich or burger (no cheese, sauce etc) put extra lettuce ,tomato, and mustard on it. If I was really hungry get a side salad with dressing on the side (use a spoon to measure out only two teaspoons of dressing)
Dinner: (ate both lunch and dinner at Disneyland): Do not eat the buns, get steamed veggies when possible, salad with no dressing (fill up on veggies)
At night at the hotel: if I still felt hungry I would either have an organic instant hot chocolate or hot herbal tea.
When I felt hungry I drank water and I focused on making sure I ate protein and veggies with no dressings. I did have a bun for my burger/sandwich once a day, but felt the 8-10 hours of walking etc made up for it.
The first day was "difficult" as the temptations were everywhere. They actually blow the smell of the popcorn and cotton candy into the air! Goodness. Each day I succeeded I felt so good.
I allowed myself to have two treats on different days ( half a chocolate, frozen banana and a dark chocolate dipped strawberry).
I realized on this trip that it it truly mind over matter. The first day I only "saw" all of the food, the snacks, treats etc (and everyone eating). It got easier every day.
I hope this helps anyone heading off for vacation and to let you know you can do it!
Please share your vacation tips- thanks : )
Emama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: hw175/145/140

Height: 5'6"

Good for you!!! Vacations seem to usually be the nemesis of all diets! But as you stated it truly is about making good choice and allowing small really desired treats and not feeling like you have to eat every sweet smelling, deep fried, salty thing in sight. I am going on a short vacation this weekend and am actually planning to bring my food scale, body scale, and measuring items. As well as healthy snacks for the hotel room and breakfast.

Thanks for sharing your success.
Domlacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #3  
feelin' good

Domlacha , thanks for your kind reply. : )
I think bringing your scales is an excellent idea!
Have a wonderful time on your vacation!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #4  

You did good! Thanks for sharing your vaca tips!
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #5  

congrats! It is soooo hard to not gain weight while on vacay! The good part about Disney though is that it is a very active vacay.

Thanks for sharing!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

Thanks for the tips!

In 3 weeks I am going on vacation to the US (I'm from Australia). Disneyland, road trip up the West Coast and then a wedding in Washington State. I am so worried about falling on bad habits.
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #7  
feelin' good

Meeel4121, I can understand the worry. The good news is that you can do it! One little thing you may want to know is that California chain restaurants have nutritional guides. You can account for every calorie.
Best wishes and have a wonderful trip! The California coast is stunning.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

Thanks! I really cannot wait.

We're staying at a motel across the road. From previous traveling experiences, the US motels put on a good spread for breakfast. I'm planning to be one of those people who stock up on apples and bananas and bread roll at breakfast, to use for snacks later in the day. lol.
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote