Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Default My corn snake is WHAT?!

Okay. Sage is my almost 9 year old corn snake. I was told by a vet when he was very young that he was "probably" a boy but he wasn't experienced probing or popping a snake his size so I told him not to bother with it.

TURN OUT SAGE IS A GIRL. For the last nine years, I've been calling her a him. I'm SO weirded out right now.

How do I know that she is, in fact, a she? SHE LAID 7 EGGS. Freaking me right out! I knew laying slugs was things that snakes could do but MAN. This is so weird! I really needed to share.

Attached is one of my favorite pictures of her. She looks endless!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endlesssage.jpg (15.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Daki; 06-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: hw175/145/140

Height: 5'6"

Very exciting, I love snakes! But my bf is not to keen on them.
Domlacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Very cool. I also love snakes. I don't keep them for pets, but where I live (on a bayou), there are lots of them around, including poisonous ones, but we never kill or bother any of them. The most common snakes here are cottonmouths, but also have seen coral snakes. The non poisonous ones are usually diamond backed water snakes, broad banded water snakes and yellow belly water snakes. See quite a few garter snakes too. In fact, when I moved here, about 15 years ago, I brought six snakes from my old place because I knew if anyone else saw them, they would probably kill them. Most were diamond backed water snakes but I also brought a king snake.
byugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Daki, that is SO funny! I just recently figured out my tarantula is a girl! I gave it a boy name and everything when I got it 4 years ago.

So, your snake didn't mate or anything, right? Those eggs are unfertilized? I didn't know they would just lay them without reproducing. Forgive my ignorance! I'm used to pets with more legs.

Always fancied having a snake, but was put off by buying mice. (Crickets for the tarantula aren't so bad, because they aren't cute in the least!)

ETA: Forgot to mention, she's a beautiful snake!

Last edited by Dorian5; 06-07-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Surprise!!!!!!

What a cutie. I LOVE snakes, my neighbors probably think I'm nuts since I chase the garter snakes that live in the sidewalk cracks around and talk to them in goo-goo baby voices.

What do the eggs look like?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Haha. I had a ferret that when I got it the pet store said it was a girl and the kids named in Vera. Later it because rather apparent that "Vera" was a boy, but we just kept calling him/her Vera. Vera didn't care.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

LOL! Ahhh, this happens.. my sister had a cat that they thought was a girl until his ehh "bits" came out.

I love your snake, when I was a kid I was obsessed with snakes.. my mum gave me a book about snakes for my birthday one year and had to write "this is not a catalogue" inside. Ahem. :\
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

My fiance LOOOOOVES reptiles. He wants a zoo setup in the house. I'm like "what?"....

He goes around the pond by our house and catches water snakes for fun (and releases them back in the water).

Anyway, corn snakes are cute. I just get kinda wigged out about holding/touching them.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

P.S. I think Sage is a very unisex name
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Mammasita, the very first thing I thought of was "phew! I don't have to change her name!" and was pretty pleased with my unisex name choice. Second thing I realized was if it turns out my crested gecko is not the female I think she is, then she's saved too because I named her Brody lol.

Dorian5, Sage has never met another snake. So unless she's been sneaking boys in after I go to sleep, they are most definitely unfertilized! Apparently snakes, well corn snakes at least, will start laying eggs sometimes. I'm not entirely sure why it happens but I did know that it does before this occurred. The REALLY weird part is very rarely they will have babies in them despite the mother not mating. The babies would all be female if that happened. I haven't found any stats but that is apparently astronomically rare. Who would have thought!

Krampus, when they were first laid, they looked like regular square-ish oval white eggs but since they are duds, they dried out and turned yellow. They also got reaaally hard.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I have a corn too! His name is Dexter, we bought him when we moved in together last year.

His last shed came in at 32 inches, he was 12 when we got him.

Here's a pic from when he was younger:

Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Awww. I'm guessing she'll eat them sometime soon as we had a lizard when I was young and that is what she did. I like snakes but generally not a fan of reptiles as pets. I've thought about getting turtles but I think I'd want a large setup for them if I did.

Funny thing is reading this thread, someone mentioning ferrets CREEPS ME OUT but snakes, not one bit.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/206/160?

Height: 5'1

Nice bright Amel. I have about 16 snakes currently. I had over 40 at one time but my spouse and I really cut back in the last year or so. Several of mine are the gender we picked...we just go with it. Its hard to imagine a corn laying slugs suddenly at such an age. How funny.
I have had lizards lay slugs on me...but none of the snakes so far. Lucky you.
masondixonmousery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 212/185/150

Height: 5'5"

Yay, someone else who keeps snakes!

Vets don't know everything, LOL. Sometimes breeders don't know either - I've got an albino Burmese that was sold to me as a male, but ... pretty sure it's a girl. And I've got two sand boas that were supposed to both be female, but that's definitely not the case! One is, but the other is a boy.

Five snakes in all here. The Burm (banana baby), three sandies (two normal pattern, one anery), and a Kahl albino boa. But I'm looking at getting a retic in the future. I know, I know, LOL. I love my scaly ones though.
JadeAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote