Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #1  

Default 6 weeks into program and need help

I've been on the program for 6 weeks using a mix of IP and alternatives. Up until last week (WI 5) I was down 14 and happy. WI 6 I only lost 1 pound in total but 3 pounds of fat (go figure). This week's WI, both good news and bad news. I lost 3 pounds, but my body fat% went from 17.6% to 21%. I don't get it. My coach wants me to move to phase 2 as well as an extra protein pack. Doesn't sound correct to me. While she is a nice lady, I question her knowledge. She has never even heard of keto sticks. Any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #2  

Is your body burning muscle? I think phase 2 you eat protein at noon and dinner and maybe adding an extra packet to that will put you back into fat burning mode. I would def try it!!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #3  

It does make sense, because the greatest part of the diet is that we don't lose muscle, just fat. So, (I'm no expert, just a good listener) from what I understand- your in starvation mode when you are losing muscle. Same thing happened to me, I added another packet or 3 egg whites to my plan and viola- I started losing even more weight even though I am eating more! I love this diet! If you have trust in your coach, I would listen to her. I was losing very very slowly before adding more food. Now, I'm losing at a nice pace.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #4  

I started IP Nov 5, 2011 at 195.8 lbs.

Weeks 1 and 2 I lost 4#/week, then weeks 3-7 I lost 3#/ week. Then at week 8 I started slowing down, but also was the holidays with too many treats always around at the office! Currently, I am two thirds to goal and my losses are 1-2 #/week.

I have never measured body fat, only weight on the scale. However, I have noticed these things affecting my scale weight:

constipation
water retention after having the salty chips (Southwest especially)
being dehydrated makes an artificially low wt that bounces back as soon as I replenish.
falling out of ketosis by going into starvation mode, and the scale doesn't drop.

I use the ketostix to check periodically that I am in ketosis. Sometimes I just got stuck at a certain weight even though I was still in ketosis. It can be a little discouraging, but stay the course. Over time, you will get used to how your own body feels and know when you need to add an extra protein or something. Read as much as you can so you know what you need to adjust to be successful in phase 1.

Last edited by LilacPants; 06-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/148/133

Height: 5'3"

wow- Shimu - your post was exactly what i needed today as well. i too am in week 6, actually gained .6 this week after a slow week last week (-1.4). I am having the same struggles. I think water is key - i've been down. And there were a few days where i was really off plan.. not enough packets; not enough veggies. My son graduated from high school over the weekend and its just been crazy.

To everyone that replied - thanks! i think i know what i need to do to get back on track. It's so great having folks here who have been there, done that!

I also haven't been checking in here - I find when I read everyday, it gives me that little extra motivation!

Back to being OP for me TODAY.
Closed Thread