General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default TMI Question, should I be worried?

Ok, so this might be a bit of a TMI question, but I'm a bit concerned. I just went to the bathroom, and peed, and the urin that came out was bright yellow, I mean I'm talking about really bright yellow here. I've never had urine that color before, it's always been clear. I don't know why all of a sudden the change in color. I don't know if I have something going on in my system that I don't know about or if its diet related. I can't think of anything that I ate or drank that would affect the coloration except that I had corn added in a tritip salad for both dinner last night and lunch just now. I don't think I should be to concerned unless it happens again, but I was just kind of freaked out and I know this is not normal. What do you think?

Last edited by SoCalCowgirl; 06-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Could be something you ate or drank or from vitamins or other medications.
I don't believe it's anything to worry about.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Multi-vitamins can make your pee BRIGHT yellow. It can be a bit alarming! Did you take one, by chance? It's the B vitamins and carotene in them. Eating something with a lot of B vitamins and carotene could also do it... lots of carrots in your salads?
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #4  

It always happens to me when I take multi vitamins.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #5  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

i have this happen occasionally, but its usually only if i drink an energy drink, or take a multivitamin. especially the energy drinks though, its a bright neon yellow. im pretty sure it isnt anything to worry about though
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #6  

@ddc- I don't take any medications or vitamins so that wouldn't be the source, but I'm kind of with you on it not being a problem, lol it was just quite a shock looking down and like holy crap wtf! lol kind of reaction to the color change

@berkshiregrl- I haven't had any vitamins, but I have been having carrots in my salads lately, maybe that's the source then, lol maybe I need to lay off the carrots hehe

@hagirlie- I'm glad this is a fairly common occurance and nothing health wise that I need to go to a doctor about

and thanks to everyone once again, now I don't need to be as freaked out next time I have yellow pee lol
Old 06-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #7  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I took dexatrim for a while and it was like peeing a highlighter lol

I bet its the carrots!

This is totally TMI but when I started eating healthy, I had a LOT of green veggies in the first few days and one day it was #2 time in the bathroom and it was light green and I was freaked out. Then it was like "Um, I've eaten almost nothing but asparagus, brocoli and spinach for three days....."
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #8  

@chubybunny- LOL I had the same exact thing happen to me in the beginning as well! lol I remember thinking wow green # 2 that's kind of crazy never had that happen before as it was always brown lol but like you I was eating a lot of greens lol it's amazing to see that how everything we consume really does affect every part of our body.

@samcakes- I never would of thought energy drinks would cause the same issues. I've never touched the stuff, but that's pretty crazy it would affect the urine color, was it after drinking multiple energy drinks or just one?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #9  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Yeah I had this before from vitamins. I was pretty shocked at first haha, it was bright yellow/orange.. I swear it would probably have glowed in the dark.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Check this sight

http://suite101.com/article/common-c...r-mean-a237707

Or google "urine color" or "bright urine color"

There are a lot of reasons for dramatic color changes in urine or toilet water color (sometimes food particles in feces will color the water so it's hard to tell whether it's the urine or the feces that are source of the color), and most of them are benign.

Beets are the funniest (bright fuchsia pink).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #11  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Beets are the funniest (bright fuchsia pink).
This happened to me after we got a huge stock pile of beets from a CSA and I was eating tons and tons of them. I thought "OMG! I'm bleeding internally!!"

Then I remembered the insane amount of beets and beet greens I was eating and googled whether that could affect it.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #12  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

I should have said earlier that I'm a medical lab technologist and I test alot of urine.
The colors that you need to worry about are red, pinkish, or brown (blood) and dark amber (which can indicate liver problems, dehydration, heat exhaustion).
I've seen the bright yellow (Mellow Yellow color), blue, green, and an orange-red. Most of these are from medications.

Last edited by ddc; 06-03-2012 at 06:40 PM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCowgirl View Post
@samcakes- I never would of thought energy drinks would cause the same issues. I've never touched the stuff, but that's pretty crazy it would affect the urine color, was it after drinking multiple energy drinks or just one?
Energy drinks cause the neon yellow urine as well because they contain, among other things, the same B vitamins that causes this in your multi vit. From what I remember, the main B culprit is Riboflavin, aka B2.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #14  

OMG I'll never forget the first time my kid pooed blue/green. It was from ice cream and/or fruit snacks.

ddc, Thanks for the tip on pee color. I believe I am dehydrated. The thing is, everything I drink goes right through me! I don't drink water as much as I should just because I hate going to the bathroom every hour.

I think I'll just have to put up with that and drink more water.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCowgirl View Post
@ddc- I don't take any medications or vitamins so that wouldn't be the source, but I'm kind of with you on it not being a problem, lol it was just quite a shock looking down and like holy crap wtf! lol kind of reaction to the color change

@berkshiregrl- I haven't had any vitamins, but I have been having carrots in my salads lately, maybe that's the source then, lol maybe I need to lay off the carrots hehe

@hagirlie- I'm glad this is a fairly common occurance and nothing health wise that I need to go to a doctor about

and thanks to everyone once again, now I don't need to be as freaked out next time I have yellow pee lol
If you haven't been drinking a lot of water, your pee can be a strong yellow color as well.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote