Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/180/120

Height: 165

Default 24 yr female... planning to drop 60 lbs

i am a 24 yr female... current wt is 183 lbs...
saw it today only as a big surprise,,,, last i knew i was 178... and a rise of 5 lbs was very depressing... and plus the fact that i have been taking care of my diet for the past 1 month off and on
my worst quality is having no will power.... i see something and i eat it without caring if i am hungry or not...
the max that i had lost was 17 lbs once and have gained 25 now....
any suggestions for me????
i am planning to join gym and avoiding breakfast to start with...
any supplements or diet capsules if any1 can advise
camerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Will power is overrated. It's more about commitment. We all have slip ups. If you know you can't handle having a certain food around without eating it, don't have it around.

All I can tell you is what has worked for ME, which is calorie counting. I like it because it doesn't restrict the types of foods I can eat, it's flexible, and it's free. I also weight train and do cardio. You don't necessarily need a gym to do any of that. There are tons of body weight exercises (google or search on youtube), and you can start by simply walking.

Personally, from my own experience, I'd say stay away from any diet pills. The only supplements I use are protein powder, and sometimes a multivitamin.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Skipping breakfast is a terrible idea and will not lead to weight loss. It will only make you more likely to eat more and usually sugary or carb laden food later in the day. The only time skipping meals is ok is if you are following a properly laid out fasting plan and there are threads on those in the general diet plans section of this forum.

I really think looking for a quick fix through diet pills is really the wrong attitude to have. You want to create a sustainable diet change and exercise regime that you can stick to long term, 60 lbs isn't going to go away in a couple months. Also major loses through crash dieting are more likely to be regained plus some.

Focus on eating whole foods with plenty of lean protein, healthy fats and vegetables. If you need to add more bulk to your meals to feel full longer I recommend lentils and beans.
Joining a gym can be a good but only if you commit to going there is so much money wasted on gym memberships so make sure you get your moneys worth out of it.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veela View Post
Skipping breakfast is a terrible idea and will not lead to weight loss. It will only make you more likely to eat more and usually sugary or carb laden food later in the day. The only time skipping meals is ok is if you are following a properly laid out fasting plan and there are threads on those in the general diet plans section of this forum.
I don't reccomend people do intermittent fasting until they have some good dietary habits in place so generally speaking I agree with what you're saying but "terrible" might be a bit strongly worded especially if Cameron is not a natural breakfast eater.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/133/120

Height: 5'1"

Skipping breakfast can start the day off on the wrong foot. I'm definitely not a natural breakfast eater, but I do much better when I eat a healthy breakfast anyway.

camerons, you need to do what makes sense for your body. If not eating breakfast will work for you in the long run, then go for it. But if you're "avoiding" it in the short term just to lose weight, it might be a poor way to attain sustainable weight loss.
LucyRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Will power is overrated. It's more about commitment. We all have slip ups. If you know you can't handle having a certain food around without eating it, don't have it around.

All I can tell you is what has worked for ME, which is calorie counting. I like it because it doesn't restrict the types of foods I can eat, it's flexible, and it's free. I also weight train and do cardio. You don't necessarily need a gym to do any of that. There are tons of body weight exercises (google or search on youtube), and you can start by simply walking.

Personally, from my own experience, I'd say stay away from any diet pills. The only supplements I use are protein powder, and sometimes a multivitamin.
thanks stephanie.... even i was not very pro diet pills but the advertisements kind of lured me in... joined the gym from today... it was good but i guess due to work pressures i wont be able to go daily... may be 4 times a week

another question --- how does protien powder help because people normally use it to gain weight, right???
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veela View Post

I really think looking for a quick fix through diet pills is really the wrong attitude to have. You want to create a sustainable diet change and exercise regime that you can stick to long term, 60 lbs isn't going to go away in a couple months. Also major loses through crash dieting are more likely to be regained plus some.

Focus on eating whole foods with plenty of lean protein, healthy fats and vegetables. If you need to add more bulk to your meals to feel full longer I recommend lentils and beans.
Joining a gym can be a good but only if you commit to going there is so much money wasted on gym memberships so make sure you get your moneys worth out of it.
thanks veela for your suggestions... even i am not very much into diet pills but thinking it of as a shortcut lures u in sometime...
but like i am not a natural brreakfast eater and it is the easiest meal to skip for me as i get busy at work and forget about eating,,,
can i think of my lunch as having a breakfast???
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerons View Post
thanks stephanie.... even i was not very pro diet pills but the advertisements kind of lured me in... joined the gym from today... it was good but i guess due to work pressures i wont be able to go daily... may be 4 times a week

another question --- how does protien powder help because people normally use it to gain weight, right???
I wanna say no, that's weight gainer powder. People typically use it simply to get more protein in. The powder I use is a total of 155 calories for 1 serving, 25 grams of protein, a couple carbs, and a couple grams of fat. I use to because it's an easy way to get in protein after a weight training workout. I mix it with water, so it's a very low calorie snack. If I want to use it as a meal replacement I'll mix it with milk, but I usually like to eat actual food for meals.

It's definitely not something everyone needs to use by any means, I just like it because it's a low calorie way for me to get in extra protein. I get in 120 to 140 grams of protein per day.

The diet pill commercials may look appealing, but they all say "when combined with sensible diet and exercise plan", so basically you have to do the same thing you would do anyway, except you take the pill and probably feel edgy because of all the crap in it.

4 times a week is wonderful! You don't have to go EVERY day to have it be beneficial, 4 days a week is a very respectable amount of times to go per week!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #9  

okay... i guess then that's really a good way to get a good amount of proteins without having a lot of calorie intake...

thnks for ur suggestions...

i like the ticker thing... that really must keep up guys very motivated... i like to see it on all of your profiles....
how do it get it for me???
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #10  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

First off congratulations on the decision to take yourself in hand and change your life. If you commit to this, you can totally do this. There are many paths to success. Find something that works for you and stick to it.

About breakfast, you certainly don't have to eat it if you don't want to. I started off not being much of a breakfast person, because it seemed like breakfast was a trigger meal for me into a whirl of eat-eat-eat! Now I'm a definite breakfast person because I find that it improves my mood and energy levels at the most difficult part of my day- the morning. (I am NOT a morning person). I dont really eat lunch that often anymore though.

Anyway sorry to harp on about myself, back to you. Definitely if you don't want to eat brekkie, that's not bad. The only thing is it's not enough to skip one meal if you more than make up for it with your other two. You still have to be somewhat aware of what you're eating and how much you're consuming. Don't let the idea that you only eat twice a day be an excuse not to eat mindfully. I know I used to.

As for diet pills, I don't really have any experience with them. I'm not much of a medication/pills person unless it's absolutely necessary although I do take cod liver oil (for immune health) and a regular one-a-day women's multivitamin everyday. I looked into Alli when I first started my journey because it was the only one which claimed to work without trying to rev up my metabolism (which I think is dangerous) but the side effects seemed so unpleasant. Besides it wasn't a magic pill which was going to let me sit on my bum and eat what I wanted, I'd still have to do the work so I decided to just go it on my own. I didn't even tell anyone in real life. My only support was here on 3FC.

My own path to success has been calorie counting. It allows me to eat pretty much anything, even if not everything at once. My motto is that I don't have to have it all at once, and I won't die if I say no to myself. I found out early on that my body like low-carb, but I don't. So I don't eat that way and just accept the resultant slower weight loss. I won't say I eat only whole foods. Even at my heaviest, I wasn't a packaged food junkie. I just ate a boatload of my cooking. I still eat packaged, processed, fast food, but always mindfully, always with an eye on the calories, I DO eat more home cooked meals though. I don't eat as many snacks as I used to and if I'm going to indulge in some dessert, it better be THE BEST cheesecake in the world. I no longer settle just because something is there. I appreciate what a calorie is and what it's worth and that has really helped me.

The most important ingredient though, in my opinion, however you choose to go about, eating your weight loss goals is commitment. Commitment, along with belief and desire, will get you there and will push you to continue even on the days you don't feel like. Give yourself a couple of months to stay on plan. Promise yourself to stick with a plan for only 8weeks. At the end of that time, re-evaluate and see if you want to continue. That's what I did. And I've NEVER regretted any time I spent on plan. Good luck with your journey and hopefully see you round 3FC. (Sorry this has been so long).

Re the ticker, I think you have to have been on 3FC for a specific amount of time and have a specific number of posts. Check the help section for exact numbers.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 06-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/136.5/130

Height: 5"6"

camerons:
Welcome and congratulations on taking action!
I am not going to tell you that diet pills, or any supplement, will help you. There is so little science. But I can tell you what has helped me in the past. If hunger is an issue for you, you can take fiber pills with your meals. Now, people will comment that you can get the same fiber in food, and yes, that is better. But, when you're starting out, it can be overwhelming to try to get everything you need in food form. I have also, and still do, use B vitamin supplements. I do not know if I have a deficiency, but the supplements seem to increase my energy and keep my head clear. If you find yourself eating because you're tired or have a headache, this may help you. I also aim to take a prenatal multivitamin. I am not pregnant, but my daughter is only 7 months old, and after having her, I just decided to keep taking them. Lots of goodies in there to fill in the gaps.
Be aware that there is a lot of controversy on supplements as well as fasting. This is only my personal experience.

As for fasting: If you are truly interested in learning about fasting, you should google "studies on intermittent fasting, health benefits of intermittent fasting, eat-stop-eat, or leangains,
You will quickly see that, contrary to everything you have ever been told about breakfast, grazing and your metabolism, fasting, when done properly, is great for your body. It not only improves longevity, but, if combined with strength training, it can help you torch fat.
I have been calorie counting for a long time. THat is how I have lost weight anytime in my life. (following pregnancy or just 10-15 pounds that crept up). Calorie counting+ cardio are the most tried and true ways to lose weight. Fasting does not change that. I have recently begun using intermittent fasting to burn through a plateau, and in an attempt to enjoy my food more. I fast for 16 hours a day, eat for 8. This is "leangains" style. I also attempt a 24 hour fast once a week, Eat-stop-eat style. This is just me, trying to find what works for me, what I prefer, wanting to get the health perks of longer fasts, etc. The reason I would recommend intermittent fasting is two-fold:
1. You are able to eat more calories in one meal than you would be with traditional plans. Rather than eating 300 calories 4 times a day, you can eat 600 cals twice a day. This can make it easier to eat with family and friends and to feel satisfied at the end of the day.
2. When you get through a fast, you are learning to say no to your hunger. You are learning that you do not HAVE to eat every few hours to function, to be happy, to feel good. Some of the beliefs that we have about food that cause us to be overweight in the first place are called into question when we deny ourself in a controlled and strategic way.

Sorry to go on like this. Best advice I can give you is
1. google a calorie calculator and figure out how many calories you need each day.
2. download a calorie counter app or write down every single calorie you eat in a small notebook. when you work out, you need to know how many calories you burned so you can add those calories. If you burn 300 cals at the gym, that's 300 more calories you can eat.
3. increase your cardio by a couple of min a day until you can do 45 min of cardio at once. Then do it 4 x a week.
4. Focus on protein and vegetables.
5. weigh yourself daily, or at least weekly, naked at home, in the morning, after you've had a good night's sleep, but before you've eaten. measure yourself once a week as well. TRACK YOUR PROGRESS! That is the only way to know what works for you!
If you screw up, move on! Don't let a lapse become a relapse. In terms of addiction, just because you slip up and have one drink, that is not an excuse or a reason to drink the whole bottle. Forgive yourself. Every day is a new day.
You will be amazed by how much progress you make! Good luck!!!
mrslynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/193.2/155

Height: 5'8

I completely understand not wanting to eat breakfast. When I started watching what I eat, I started forcing myself to eat breakfast...and let me tell you some days it took all I had to choke down a bowl of cereal. Now I wake up starving and need something to shut my groaning stomach up!
kristindawn is offline   Reply With Quote