Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default NSV!!!! (Possibly TMI)

So, as I was getting out the shower I looked in the mirror after the fog cleared away and remember that yucky Dunlap I'm always complaining about on here? WELL. I can actually SEE it whittling away now. Like, I can actually see where my pelvis is and where my hips actually start. Now I think about it, I doubt I'm gonna lose anything in my hips, which is awesome. I love my legs/butt. But I was so happy to see it going away. Today is just fantastic. I have a date tomorrow, I believe, and I have a job interview today. I'm so happy! :{DDD

Last edited by kassiebby1124; 06-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I think that's fabulous!

Way to go girl and knock 'em dead in the interview AND on the date!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #3  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I think those NSVs where we actually surprise ourselves are the best! It's one thing when the jeans go up and zip, closet shopping or others, but I swear those shocking moments when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror.... those are the best! Congrats!! I think you really needed this NSV, too!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Okay I have to ask because it has been bugging and confusing me for weeks of your posts - what the HECK is a Dunlap? Last time I checked it wasn't the name of a body part, nor is that a colloquialism I've encountered.

Is it chub rub? Apron/hip fat? Double chins?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #5  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Okay I have to ask because it has been bugging and confusing me for weeks of your posts - what the HECK is a Dunlap? Last time I checked it wasn't the name of a body part, nor is that a colloquialism I've encountered.

Is it chub rub? Apron/hip fat? Double chins?
A Dunlap is like the pouch of fat that sits on your lower tummy. On an "average" size person, it's just that little jiggle on your lower stomach. But on a bigger person, it gets to a point where it can hang over your jeans, pelvis, or whatever. It's also the part some people button their jeans under. Think of it as frontal-love handles

Last edited by kassiebby1124; 06-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

The part that "done lapped" over your belt. LOL, that's what I've always heard anyway.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

We tend to just call it a spare tyre here. And a quick google just threw up Dunlop as a brand of car tyre. Could be related?

Yay for it shrinking, Kassie! I'm sharing your happiness today, because I rarely see that bit of myself in a mirror (all my mirrors are higher up), but today in the bathroom at my parents', I realised there's a lot more of my knickers visible! That spare tyre's definitely deflating.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #8  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

Pardon my ignorance, but what is NSV?

I love the feeling when you "discover" something new about your body, you start to kind of feel all Indiana Jones-ish in terms of finding ancient artifacts.

I felt that way a month or two ago. I was out with a friend and I absentmindedly scratched my neck, and find a slight protrusion. My eyes flew open and I panicked. My friend laughed at me and pointed out that what I was feeling is my clavical (sp?)

I immediately ran to the restroom and proceeded to make all kinds of grotesque and obscure faces in the mirror to stretch my neck and shoulders so I could see it better. I was thrilled!

It's so exciting when that happens It's very motivating as well
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9  

NSV is non-scale victory. Much more satisfying than just watching the numbers tick down slowly.

I found my clavicle recently too! Freaked the **** out of me. It's a bit too obviously-internal-yet-visibly-external for my liking. Good to know clavicles have their good points too though!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #10  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I'm very happy for you that you're shrinking in a part that's been bothering you... doesn't that feel FANTASTIC??!!

As far as the definition of the offending body area though, I always thought of that part as the muffin top (the part that bulges over the top of your too-tight jeans). How does that differ from the infamous Dunlap??
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #11  

The muffin top is the side bits, particularly visible if your trousers are digging in a bit and fat's sort of splurging out over the top. The dunlap or lop or spare tyre is on the front of the stomach, below or around the belly button, depending how big it is. But now I'm confused about which bit Kassie's referring to. Too many names for too few body parts!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #12  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brid View Post
NSV is non-scale victory. Much more satisfying than just watching the numbers tick down slowly.

I found my clavicle recently too! Freaked the **** out of me. It's a bit too obviously-internal-yet-visibly-external for my liking. Good to know clavicles have their good points too though!
Thanks Brid! (I feel silly)

Yes, I agree, it both freaked me out and excited me at the same time. I have a co-worker who's told me they are his biggest eye-attractor on women, especially if they are well-defined.

I always considered Dunlap/dunlop the spare tire you carry that leans over/overlaps your natural waist. For some people thats all of the belly they have.

For me (and I don't know if its genetics, or how tight you wear your clothes when you start gaining weight), I have a muffin top/bottom. My natural waist creases, and I have a spare tire above and below the beltline. Its particularly frustrating as even though I've lost weight, I still have a lumpy, speed-bumpy abdominal area.
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #13  
Back with a story

Ah, got it. It's a weird term for it, but if you're referring to the tire brand (Dunlop) and 'spare tire' belly and hip fat, then that makes slightly more sense! I'm from California and live in Alaska, that sounds more like a Southern or Midwestern colloquialism, which would explain why I have never heard it.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 06-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #14  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I'm from California and live in Alaska, that sounds more like a Southern or Midwestern colloquialism, which would explain why I have never heard it.

I'm from Canada and live in Chile, so I guess that's why I'm a little out of the loop as well!

I personally am happy to report that I do not have, nor have ever owned.. a Dunlap. Hellacious rear end and thighs though? I'm their poster child. Is there a name for that???
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #15  
Back with a story

Oh yes, we all have our trouble spots!